Strange Electrical Fault 2000 Xantia
  • Help

Default Strange Electrical Fault 2000 Xantia

I arrived home from work to find the interior lights on in my wife's Xantia. I thought she must have just got home, but no the car had not been moved all day. All doors were locked but the door open warning light was on. So unlocked the car and opened and closed all doors including the tailgate and fuel filler flap and the door open warning went out and also the interior lights. I then locked the car and the door open warning came on and the interior lights as well. Walking around the car all doors were locked and closed. I then unlocked the car and went around all doors and opened and closed them. When I got to the passenger rear door the central locking pulsed and locked all doors, the door open warning light went out and then the interior lights. On closing this door the car remained locked but the door open warning light came on again and of course the interior lights as well.

Advertisement

Therefore suspicion is on the passenger rear door lock. I presume the sensor for door ajar is within this lock. It is an intermittent fault as it definitely was OK this morning as I walked past it in the dark. Time to find and fit a new door lock I guess
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

I have no idea other than the standard Citroen and electrics are strange bedfellows. I often have the central locking lock and immediately unlock. This is usually caused by the hatch not being correctly closed OR the cord holding the rear parcel shelf has been caught between the hatch and the body, with part of the cord visible outside the car.

John

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Make sure the battery is in good order, Greg. A low or worn battery causes some bizarre faults coming from the body control module.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The battery is only a few months old, but as a precaution it is now in the garage one the charger. This is indicating the battery is a little low so we will see when it is topped up. Another strange thing, the door window switches on the front doors are permanently lit up. May be related, maybe not
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Trickle charged the battery in two sessions. I have an old Arlec charger that has 5 lights. 4 should light with no power applied, 5 when the battery is charged and the unit is switched on. When first attached we had 4.5 with power applied, I let it get to 5 lights (took about 10 hours) which was 14.1 volts with the charger connected and powered on. With the charger disconnected and the car left for 3 hours battery voltage is 12.99 volts. I have tried to get the fault to show again but can't so far. Looks like we may have solved it, thanks Hotrodelectric.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Given it's a modern PSA car ........................ I'd fix it by removing the bulbs from the interior light
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

You are quite welcome, Greg. 12.99 is pretty good for a battery at rest- in fact, a little high. It should be about 12.3. Not alarming, though. The .7 can be attributed to the long, slow charge. If the fault shows again, break out your voltmeter and see if the alternator is outputting properly- an educated assumption says 13.8-14.2 volts at idle once the alternator trips on (start the car, goose it for a few seconds, then let it return to idle). Much lower than 13.8, and the alternator won't be producing enough to keep up with demand and keep the battery charged.

Also, be sure to check all the grounds you can get at. Clean and tight.

You also mentioned the window switch lights were staying on. Are they staying on now?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I have no idea other than the standard Citroen and electrics are strange bedfellows. I often have the central locking lock and immediately unlock. This is usually caused by the hatch not being correctly closed OR the cord holding the rear parcel shelf has been caught between the hatch and the body, with part of the cord visible outside the car.

John
    Not too strange, John. Whats happened that a wedge or pin switch didn't close, telling the central locking that the doors aren't set to lock yet. This one of those few times the catchphrase "It's a feature, not a bug" actually applies.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Given it's a modern PSA car ........................ I'd fix it by removing the bulbs from the interior light
    Shane, you poor, misguided waif. I'll tell you what. We are going to go old school. I don't mean pre-PSA. I mean pre-Michelin. I know of a B2 Cloverleaf for sale. No lighting at all to mess with save for the headlights, stop light and tail light. So electrically simple, you don't even need any curse words for it. C'mon, dude. If I can figure it out, you can figure it out.

Thread Information