How do i dismantle a C3 manual gearbox to get the bearing out?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do i dismantle a C3 manual gearbox to get the bearing out?

Fellow Frogger!

Default How do i dismantle a C3 manual gearbox to get the bearing out?

Does anyone know how to get a Citroen C3 1.4L manual gearbox apart? I am trying to replace the bearing at the front of it and I figured it would come apart after undoing all the bolts, but it doesn't. I have now taken the gears off the rear end and i was told it would then slide out, but it won't. There are now just two shafts sticking out the back of it and I figured they would slide through the bearings in the casing. They do a fair way with some persuasion from a hammer, but now they won't go all the way.

There are 4 bolts holding some sort of surrounding thing on, but they have incredibly tight torque nuts that i can't get undone without burring them and I can't see what they do other than hold the bearings in.

Any one done it before?

Advertisement

thanks, Erik

Fellow Frogger

It will be an MA5 gearbox common to a range of Pugs and Citroen models if that helps you find more info. Check the parts diagram to see how it all goes together, but I'd think you'll have to split the case to get at the shafts. Both the pinion bearing and the input shaft bearing have their problems, so changing the whole bearing kit would be advisable. I expect that you will need a press and the bearings are on the shaft. The pinion gear is part of the shaft and not a separate part. When I've seen a mechanic remove the Torx bolts, they secure the case to the bench and use a rattle gun. Most Citroen mechanics will be able to do that gearbox in their sleep as it's also used in the Berlingo. You also need to check the selector forks as there is a rivet on one of the parts that can let go. Do the clutch or at least change the release bearing. Have a chat to your local dealer if in doubt.
    Last edited by David S; 6th May 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks David, i have been chatting with my mechanic, but maybe I will just dump it on him.

Fellow Frogger!

Another day is another burst of enthusiasm, which saw my daughter and I use the rattle gun to disengage the torx head bolts which held the giant circlips for the bearings. Even though the shafts should have just pushed through, this made them disengage from the casing more easily. (I will try and get some pictures). The other thing which was sticking was the gear selector shafts, which also had to be 'tapped' gently.

It is now in a million pieces and while I doubt my ability to reassemble it, I have great faith in my daughter's keen eyesight and newer brain, plus it is her car. We will see.

I have now ordered the bits I need and will have a breather for a few days.

Fellow Frogger!

How do i dismantle a C3 manual gearbox to get the bearing out?-13050001.jpgIn this picture you can see all 4 of the things which were not allowing the gearbox casing to come off. Two shafts and two selectors.

The next photo shows everything in a million pieces. How do i dismantle a C3 manual gearbox to get the bearing out?-13050006.jpgIt turns out that i could wiggle the stuffed bearing out from under the many toothed shaft, without taking all the cogs off, but i didn't know that until too late. By removing the other shaft and another smaller one, you can get at the bearing on the input shaft.

The last photo shows one of the torx bolts that David suggested could be undone, which then released the bearing on each shaft and gave me a bit more wiggle room. Two got stripped, but AMAZINGLY, came off with a good quality set of visegrips clamped around the tiny bit of purchase space - go figure. First time I have ever won one of those competitions! the alloy piece is the casing for the gearbox, removed and viewed from the wheel end.
    How do i dismantle a C3 manual gearbox to get the bearing out?-13050007.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Gearbox is now back in, after a few problems and works!!!!!

Some pointers - don't put the new clutch in backwards - the bigger middle bit goes towards the gearbox.
    Put a cloth around the syncro gear when you disassemble it as the springs and ball bearings are hard to find. The ball bearings go on the outside.

If you are silly enough to attempt this rebuild, you may wish to correspond with me first or during it.

erik

Thread Information