A question (or 2) for the GS experts
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default A question (or 2) for the GS experts

I'm trying to figure out what a couple of noises are coming from the front of my GS

Noise No.1 - is like a scraping/low sounding bearing noise coming from what seems to be the front axle area and only occurs when the car is in motion and usually after it's being driven for a while.

Advertisement

Noise No.2 - is a bearing whine coming from the front and occurs only once the car has warmed up and been driven for a while, this noise continiues even when the car is idling. Alternator has been rebuilt with new bearings so I guess I can rule that out...

Any advice would be much appreciated....Cheers!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Raver, as for noise #2, I would be checking the cam belt tensioners post haste. If one of those fail, you WILL spend money. Lots of it. When was the last belt change, anyway? Speaking of belts, the fan-alternator belt is correct, good, and in tension, isn't it?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Raver, as for noise #2, I would be checking the cam belt tensioners post haste. If one of those fail, you WILL spend money. Lots of it. When was the last belt change, anyway? Speaking of belts, the fan-alternator belt is correct, good, and in tension, isn't it?
    Cheers Hotrodelectric...cam belt and tensioners where replaced as soon as I acquired the vehicle about 3 years ago..alternator belt was also replaced at the same time, one thing I have'nt done yet is re-tension alternator belt after 500km(or miles?), but would it whine like a bearing when warmed up if alternator belt tension is incorrect???

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raver View Post
    Cheers Hotrodelectric...cam belt and tensioners where replaced as soon as I acquired the vehicle about 3 years ago..alternator belt was also replaced at the same time, one thing I have'nt done yet is re-tension alternator belt after 500km(or miles?), but would it whine like a bearing when warmed up if alternator belt tension is incorrect???
    It would be more of a squeal, but being easy to check and adjust, yah, I would do that. Then you can eliminate that along with the cambelts, tensioners, and the alt itself as your source.

There isn't a lot else right up front to go bad like that. Possibly the cam follower on the HP pump? I've never hard of that failing, but I've been out of GSs for quite a while now, and mine never had a problem with bearing noises.

Simple and stupid first- adjust the alternator belt, see if that gives some relief.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

Why dont you just remove the alternator belt and see if the noise goes ,you could have a dud bearing in the alternator ,even though it was done not long ago .pugs

Fellow Frogger!

if you take a long screwdriver and place the tip near any suspect bearings you can put your ear on the handle and hear any rumbly bearings, the noise will be louder close to the offending bearing

Noise 1. Does it change when going around a corner? ie louder when turning one way and softer when turning the other?

Tadpole

noise 1 sounds like wheel bearing i have one on rear wheel that sounds like that?
    noise 2 timing belt tensoin roller bearings? or alternator only bearimgs in the front of engine. the other thing to check has the fan cowel came loose or bent touching some moving part.

Quote Originally Posted by raver View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what a couple of noises are coming from the front of my GS

Noise No.2 - is a bearing whine coming from the front and occurs only once the car has warmed up and been driven for a while, this noise continiues even when the car is idling. Alternator has been rebuilt with new bearings so I guess I can rule that out...
    Not gearbox chatter or the clutch throwout bearing by any chance...?
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Noise 1. Does it change when going around a corner? ie louder when turning one way and softer when turning the other?
    I've tried that and it seems to make no difference so maybe I can rule out a faulty wheel bearing?

Oh btw. noise 2 is affected by the cutting in and out of the hydraulic pump...ie. when the pump cuts in
    whine reduces significantly and becomes more pronounced when pump cuts out again

1000+ Posts

Noise 1 something rubbing against the brake disk possibly. Noise 2 .goes when pump is under load sounds like the pump is worn or fluid cavitating [getting bubbles in it ],pugs

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    Noise 1 something rubbing against the brake disk possibly. Noise 2 .goes when pump is under load sounds like the pump is worn or fluid cavitating [getting bubbles in it ],pugs
    But would'nt a worn pump be louder under load? Mine seems to be the opposite ie. louder when pump is not under load....

Thread Information