Canberra Citroen
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Canberra Citroen

The new Citroen agent in Canberra, Melrose Auto, seems not to be very user friendly.

Have put my Xantia CT in for serious work including replacing leaky return hoses etc with better reinforced oil resistant hydraulic hose. They are only interested in sourcing "genuine" citroen parts & putting them in, not thinking around the problem & getting better solutions. Service on newer cars with standard problems seems to be their area, not looking after good older cars. "Maybe you should be looking at a non hydraulic car" was one of their suggestions.

Not much better than the previous agents here unfortunately, unless the car can be driven to Melb or Sydney we seem to be stuffed.

agd123

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'm impressed a citroen dealer even tried to work on an older car and source parts for you You'll need to find a friendly neighborhood mechanic that likes spending hours fruitlessly searching for bits and pieces to make up the returns lines with. It's not a simple and straight forward as you would like to think Very time consuming. There is lots of joiners and junctions in the return hoses on those modern PSA cars.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Try Alpine Motors 22 Dundas Court Phillip

Mike

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by agd123 View Post
    The new Citroen agent in Canberra, Melrose Auto, seems not to be very user friendly.

Have put my Xantia CT in for serious work including replacing leaky return hoses etc with better reinforced oil resistant hydraulic hose. They are only interested in sourcing "genuine" citroen parts & putting them in, not thinking around the problem & getting better solutions. Service on newer cars with standard problems seems to be their area, not looking after good older cars. "Maybe you should be looking at a non hydraulic car" was one of their suggestions.

Not much better than the previous agents here unfortunately, unless the car can be driven to Melb or Sydney we seem to be stuffed.

agd123
    Hi agd,

Drop me a PM regarding replacement of return lines if you want as I'm happy to discuss. I have just replaced all rubber returns including the Octopus in my BX 16valve with home-made lengths of hose and brass fittings sourced from Enzed. The process was of course made much easier with removal of the engine. Everything came in at under $200 I think.

Rob

Spot on LeRob, I was going to suggest Pirtek as I am "industrially" familiar with them but it is surprising what Pirtek (and Enzed} can do for home handy man / mechanic.
    John

To be fair to Melrose, most dealers aren't fond of older cars. In Melrose case they would be lucky to have staff fully trained on current Citroens let alone the older models.

Fellow Frogger!

I have sourced reinforced rubber hose from an industrial hydraulics company, were very helpful, the major issue was getting at some of the hoses with the engine in the car. Am currently replacing all the hoses in another Xantia with the engine out, so far fairly easy. Thanks for the helpful comments, I may take some of you up on your offers if I run into problems doing it myself.

Regards

agd123

Also try IKES Motors in Phillip. They work on older cars and are a bit more understanding.

Thread Information