New DS 23 Coming to Melbourne (Want Anything from DS Motors BNE?)
  • Help

Icon7 New DS 23 Coming to Melbourne (Want Anything from DS Motors BNE?)

Flying up to BNE to pick up a new acquisition of a 1974 DS23.

The "new" DS will be driven to its new home here in Essendon.

Advertisement

If anybody here in Melbourne is thinking/was thinking of getting anything from DS Motors in the next week or so, quite happy to accomodate if it fits in the DS.

Best regards,

John & Jenni

PS: Jenni not too keen on the drive with a "new" vehicle!

The Newell HWY is one of my favourite drives in a DS. But, you'll need a good tool kit and a few appropriate spares, just in case and a thorough inspection of the engine for any leaks before you leave is obvious, I guess. Perfect conditions this time of year for a memorable drive. I have been stuck on the Newell once before, when I had to abandone wife and car, to return 4 hours later......... she was pretty pissed off! lol.

Have great trip.

Thanks MBerry, I feel quite confident as the Ds will be serviced and checked out for the drive to Melbourne by DS Motors.

Nevertheless, Jenni will not be spending any time on the side of the road; she clearly told me that she is bringing her own credit card and she has a new phone. So, I certainly hope that I have "passenger" for the drive home.

John

Have a great drive safe in the knowledge it's been looked over by two of the best Citroen mechanics in Australia.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thanks donat,
    Such encouragement will assist to allay my wife's concerns with the hopping into a "new" vehicle and motoring a relatively long way.
    John

DS

We all like seeing road trip pictures on here, please!

You'll be fine.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

You sound keen: I reckon you will enjoy it, no matter what happens.

Jenni sounds apprehensive: I reckon she will find ways to not enjoy it, no matter what happens. Have you considered going alone?

I have driven "new" DS19s home down the Newell twice. One had two flat tyres. Lesson: old Michelins are unreliable; if the tyres are old, ask for a second spare to carry with you. The other had a front wheel fall off at highway speed near Dubbo (a tale told here several times already). Lesson: tighten the wheel nuts. I have also driven a "new" GS home down from Brisbane and had an old Michelin go out of round.

The first time I did the trip, I bought a small plastic toolbox and took about 10kg of tools with me. I made little use of them but the reassurance was valuable.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    You sound keen: I reckon you will enjoy it, no matter what happens.

Jenni sounds apprehensive: I reckon she will find ways to not enjoy it, no matter what happens. Have you considered ...
    consider letting the lady drive and see if it doesn't make a convert of her; there can, however, be repercussions to that.
    (i am yet to be forgiven)

Default A dog is always good on that drive.

I have always taken the dog, and she is good company, no of that "how much further is it", just enjoys the drive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New DS 23 Coming to Melbourne (Want Anything from DS Motors BNE?)-pep68ds.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Recently drove a new purchaes;85cx25ie back from Tannum Sands,about twice the distance you are planning.Tyres looked good but blew a front the other side of Taree;just aged but not like a good wine,enjoy the trip.

No Roger I would not did not consider it without her. Jenni is an ex-rally navigator going back a few years now; she drives the Audi A4 Quattro 6S manual while I get around in the C5 2.0 HDi, she enjoys a drive.

We drove through France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Greece without a GPS not long ago!! Only on 2 occassions was she momentarily disorientated and then it may have been my fault for not following directions. She certainly does not mind motoring.

The issue is simply not knowing the vehicles as others have confirmed that things can go wrong.

With the advice offered by others I will discuss with Lance of DS Motors to eliminate some previous foreseeable problems.

Also, with all others that have responded ; thank you for your best wishes and advice.

John

OK, the provision of fuller information has changed the situation. I withdraw my suggestion.

No knowing the vehicle does add a frisson of excitement.

Some more suggestions:

Take a repair manual. This would give you or others some chance of rectifying a fault. Currently not downloadable, but someone here might be able to get one to you.

If the tyres are Michelin and more than say 10 years old or there are any cracks in the sidewalls, obtain a second spare wheel before you leave Brisbane.

I have done what you are planning (Brisbane to Victoria in a "new" Citroen) three times now: twice in DS19s and once in a GS. I had tyre or wheel problems on each trip but nothing seriously tricky and I solved each of them myself.

Of perhaps more relevance to your mission, I drove a "new" DS23 IE from Hobart to Victoria a few years ago. It was in hot January weather and absolutely nothing went wrong. Even the air conditioning worked fine. The trip was fantastic.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Wilkinson; 1st May 2013 at 09:25 AM.

1000+ Posts

OK, the provision of fuller information has changed the situation. I withdraw my suggestion.

No knowing the vehicle does add a frisson of excitement.

Some more suggestions:

Take a repair manual. This would give you or others some chance of rectifying a fault. Currently not downloadable, but someone here might be able to get one to you.

If the tyres are Michelin and more than say 10 years old or there are any cracks in the sidewalls, obtain a second spare wheel before you leave Brisbane.

I have done what you are planning (Brisbane to Victoria in a "new" Citroen) three times now: twice in DS19s and once in a GS. I had tyre or wheel problems on each trip but nothing seriously tricky and I solved each of them myself.

Of perhaps more relevance to your mission, I drove a "new" DS23 IE from Hobart to Victoria a few years ago. It was in hot January weather and absolutely nothing went wrong. Even the air conditioning worked fine. The trip was fantastic.

Roger
    All under water haha.

Thanks roger will do.

Roger
    Don't s'pose somebody serviced the car, re-gassed the spheres, checked everything and double check that all was in harmony before you departed?

Yes, somebody certainly has - DS Motors BNE.

I feel confident, wife not too sure but time will tell.

We are also taking the opportunity to catch up with friends in Brisbane, Newcastle and Sydney (and maybe Canberra) so it will not be a "fast" trip.
    John

Fellow Frogger!

...Some more suggestions:

Roger
    The Citroen manuals for the LHM D series cars are back online, through Dropbox directories and are downloadable.

if you are taking a laptop or an ipad type device with you, as per Roger's suggestion these manuals are invaluable if you get into a real problem (beyond tyres, burst hoses etc). I have updated the link into the "manuals" sticky thread in the Citroen forum, here it is anyway:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tv0b25gpmd5ux8e/e-HYMQrA3e

There are many manuals of use here, the key ones are the 814 Repair manual. There are two volumes of pdfs for it. On an ipad, I'd suggest the Goodreader app as a really good document repository piece of software to house these and other pdf's, saved web pages etc. As an owner of a DS you will want these manuals, that is certain. They are gold.

Hope this helps you, my brother and I had an adventure retrieving a GS wagon from Sydney to Melbourne last year. All went well for us, but in retrospect we were not really well prepared for any serious issue, although we were reconciled to putting it on a low loader if something bad happened, fortunately it didn't. The right attitude goes a long way!

I am pondering whether I could get a few small parts from DS for my ID19, so may get back to you on that. I will ring and ask them if they have a few LHS seals and things I could do with.

Cheers and have a great trip.

regards, Leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

John, I saw your car on the hoist at DS Motors this afternoon, and Lance is going over it with a fine tooth comb. Also seeing who you've bought the car from, you needn't worry as David's quite a thorough and meticulous person much like the mechanic he's been taking the car to.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Don't s'pose somebody serviced the car, re-gassed the spheres, checked everything and double check that all was in harmony before you departed?
    Not only that, said somebody seemed to ensure that when the time came to depart Hobart, the engine would not crank.

Roger

Leconte,

Thank you, we may be taking the lap top but the Samsung Galaxy for sure and we'll see about up loading the appropiate aps (not too familiar with it as yet, magic stuff these phones of late).

Please chase up DS Motors to see if they have what you need and by the way, we drive from Essendon to Rosanna often so Heidelburg would not be out of our way.

Best regards,

John

Donat,

What a great observation, Jenni is feeling better already!

It is the 2nd DS 23 we bought sight unseen and one would think that once bitten twice shy when the first one is under litigation because it was grossly, grossly, grossly misrepresented (and the seller claimed to be a NSW CC member albeit an ex member). After the first disaster, not surprising that Jenni was not too keen on a second one to be driven from Brisbane when the first is in the hands of lawyers!

Once again thanks.

john

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome to drop round here if you have time. 5 mins from DS Motors. I'd suggest taking the New England Highway being very picturesque and cutting across at Tamworth or from Tamworth across country to Dubbo.

Good time of year - -

John Paas.

63 Windsor Rd, Red Hill,
    Brisbane, Queensland 4059, Australia

email :- bakeliteproducts@gmail.com
    Phone 07- 33683220 Fax. 07- 33682332

Thank you John, we shall take the offer and make the time to drop in, maybe late in the afternnon of the 7th May.

Best regards,

John & Jenni

Thread Information