Picasso won't automatically change into 6th gear
  • Help

Default Picasso won't automatically change into 6th gear

Hi - as the thread title says the Picasso won't automatically change into 6th (top) gear but can be changed up with the paddle shifters and does change down automatically. The mechanics have checked the computer and tyre pressures but want to have it in for further testing. Any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement

UFO

It's not in Sport mode is it?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Good question - I don't think it has a sport mode - I'll check when I get home. If there is a sport mode how do you get into it? (I can then probably figure out how to get out of it). If it makes any difference it's a diesel 2007/ 2008 model with a nearly 2 litre engine.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

try going faster .... it's probalby not programmed to go into 6th until 120km/h ....................... which is obviously useful in Australia

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    try going faster .... it's probalby not programmed to go into 6th until 120km/h ....................... which is obviously useful in Australia

seeya,
    shane L.
    This is a new problem - we've had the car for nearly 4 years now and normally it changed up much earlier to save diesel - even with a full car. I've taken it out to the freeway to see if it'll change up with no success. It's just had a service so I am still puzzled. However if the other Picasso owners aren't automatically getting into top gear it may be that the car is now driving as programmed.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    No sport mode and - given it's a 7 seat people mover - if you were having a lend, touchť!

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Bonjour View Post
    No sport mode and - given it's a 7 seat people mover - if you were having a lend, touchť!
    No lend. Not having driven one and knowing they either came with an EGS box or full auto, and owning a C4 EGS and a C5 6sp auto that both have sports mode, it was a "guessgestion".
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Bonjour, Bonjour!
    Have you checked the obvious; the oil level in the transmission. The agent said that ours was sealed for life, but I insisted that he changed the transmission oil, and you should have seen the colour of the old fluid. Try that first, then get them to look for fault codes on the ecu.
    Regards Andrew
    DS Citroen 21 aka: Andrew and Leanne (plus Phillip and Ciaran).
    A DS 21 (Long Term Project), A BX GT 16v (Leanne's not mine), plus PABLO 0 (The C4 Picasso), A heavily modified Range Rover (towing and heavy duty) and some exotic members of Sir William Lyons' stable!!!.

Fellow Frogger

Does it feel like it's holding all the gears a biut longer than normal and generally down on power? It's not likely to change up properly if it's not developing enough torque. Check the vacuum lines doe the turbo operation, both at the back of the engine (the can fall off) and the y-piece (cracks) down the front on the collection of vacuum pipes that go to the vacuum solenoids. Also, a split air hose can cause a loss of boost, but it would most likely belch smoke then.

Be careful about blithley requesting an oil change without asking the cost of the oil before the job.

The C3 has sports mode, Picasso does not. Just "holds" gears longer.

If it's just been to the dealer I'm guessing it's been reflashed with the latest software. Mine won't upshift into 6th until about 100km/h, I manually shift it after it hits 60km/h with the paddles.

Waiting on dealer to contact me regarding a part- and will update after I've gone to the dealer.

I'll relay the very helpful suggestions in the forum - I am interested in David S's suggestions regarding the hoses as I feel that the car has been a bit underdone of late. As to the oil level in the transmission - can DScitroen explain why it's obvious, mindful of the fact that I am genuinely ignorant and it seems to change through the other gears.

Has anyone else had the experience that irsa76 has? The issue arose prior to going to the dealer but may be how Citroen want the car to run in that case the "problem" can be defined away before I pay further.

Fellow Frogger

I assumed we are all talking about the 6 speed auto. irsa76 may have a later model with the EGS gearbox, also a 6 speed. Yes?

Ah, yes. I forgot early Picassos have the proper auto while mine has the EGS, with it's own foibles. As an aside had I been given the choice between the EGS and the proper auto I would have gone auto. Mine sometimes feels like an early Mercedes Sprintshift, every so often it's as if it forgets to use the clutch!

Fellow Frogger

Family friends called one of their cars Boris. I named the XM Danforth. You could call yours 'Lurch'.

OK - Mechanics looked at it on Friday. The issue is our tyres. We are running 3 of one brand and 1 of another which, although it has the same size on the sidewall, runs slightly differently to the others. If the tyres are swapped around the problem disappears. So until the tyres are replaced I'll manually shift into 6th.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bonjour View Post
    OK - Mechanics looked at it on Friday. The issue is our tyres. We are running 3 of one brand and 1 of another which, although it has the same size on the sidewall, runs slightly differently to the others. If the tyres are swapped around the problem disappears. So until the tyres are replaced I'll manually shift into 6th.
    Hi
    Well what can I say. WHY WHY WHY. The usual answer; the French software is crap and cannot accomodate normal day to day variations that occure in real life.

Why do we buy them and more importantly when will 'they' wake up and sell good cars which do not shit on the owners.
    Cheers Jaahn

I may not be reading this right, but why would you class having three different brands of tyre as a normal day to day variation that occurs in real life?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I may not be reading this right, but why would you class having three different brands of tyre as a normal day to day variation that occurs in real life?
    Not quite 3 one brand one size 1 another brand the "same" size - Picasso low profile tyres aren't always the easiest to source. The other was an older tyre in good condition that was put on as a spare for the newish tyre that a rock took a chunk out of. The tyre place was happy to do it and told me it was safe and good to go. Although I think what I've done is pretty forseeable I don't blame the manufacturer or the mechanic or the tyre place.

The diagnosis of why it would not shift up automatically cost me money but I'm comforted by the fact that the issue is relatively simple to address and not major. If the thread saves someone else with a similar problem then all to the good.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Hi
    You must not live in the same world as some people. Having several different brands on the car can be pretty normal for lots of people. Work in a tire shop for a while. As has been pointed out that was not actually the case here.
    But my point being that the car should not malfunction because of this simple variation. Other brand cars do not !!! I think you should blame the manufacturer Bonjour.

cheers jaahn

Fellow Frogger

The tyre issue can be a trap with ABS/ESP because the speed of each wheel is monitored. The car probably can't work out why one wheel is turning at a different speed to the rest (within it's allowed error limits) and places some restrictions on how the car behaves as a result. It can happen with the same type of tyre if one side is very worn and the other not. It's most likely to do with the ESP program, which could be courtesy of Bosch.

Thread Information