CX air flow sensor
  • Help

Default CX air flow sensor

I'm considering the idea of replacing the old Bosch air flow sensor with a new MAF, mass air flow sensor. Has anyone made this transition? Should I consider this? What changes are required to make a MAF compatible with the ECU?

Advertisement

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

No idea, given the wear in most AFMs and there incredible cost. If I ever had to replace mine, I'd probably invest the $$$ into converting to aftermarket boost/injection/AEI control (eg: megasquirst/megajolt).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

There is no way you can use a MAP sensor with the old ECU. The only way is to completely renew the injection control with a new mapped type ECU and associated sensors. As yours is a turbo there is added complication.

Why do you need to. The airflow sensor is a very well engineered device, if there are problems first check the associated wiring. If it is faulty it will be cheaper to find a new one to replace it.

I have thought of doing this myself, in the view to improving economy. I wonder how effective it would be, as in my experience is the CX is not that bad compared to modern machines in the city but not as good in the country as a mapped equipped car. EG City : Petrol C5 10.1, CX 11. Country Xantia 6.7, CX 9.5.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

The orginal air flow sensor is a mechanical device with springs that requires physical contact; a moving arm slides across a tape that over use wears out causing bad engine performance consumption and reliability. A MAF measures air mass, which is variable depending on temparature, it is not mechanical so does not rely on moving parts. Replacing an ECU and assocaited equipment maybe expensive, I have no idea of cost or who could do it. This I would have to consider carefully. It might improve engine performance, consumption and reliability. I stress the word might here. I think mork63ukCGAT has replaced all on his turbo so I should ask his opinion on this.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Well mine has done over 500,000km and is still working perfectly. Check you don't have any air leaks in the system after the AFM, the most common cause of poor running. I would check everything else very thoroughly before condemning the AFM
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    The orginal air flow sensor is a mechanical device with springs that requires physical contact; a moving arm slides across a tape that over use wears out causing bad engine performance consumption and reliability. A MAF measures air mass, which is variable depending on temparature, it is not mechanical so does not rely on moving parts. Replacing an ECU and assocaited equipment maybe expensive, I have no idea of cost or who could do it. This I would have to consider carefully. It might improve engine performance, consumption and reliability. I stress the word might here. I think mork63ukCGAT has replaced all on his turbo so I should ask his opinion on this.

The AFM's are great in what they do, I had the two on mine sent away and balanced by bluestreak in the UK(well I am in the UK) Mine still runs on them as I haven't made the final swap over to the KDFI ems yet.

My AFM seems fine, no fault that I'm aware of. Am thinking now however that a check and refresh might be worthwhile. I would like to find someone who can do this here.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thread Information