Tyre noise.
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Tyre noise.

Default Tyre noise.

We are preparing for a trip to the north island next week. So I thought I could get some idea on how to minimise tyre noise.
    On a couple of recent long trips (500+km) I was a passenger while my son drove so I was probably more aware of the difference road surfaces had on the ambiance inside the car. Smooth bitumen is very quiet at 110km. When we hit the gravel and tar sections ( majority of roads in Tasie ) the noise increases tremendously.
    Is the noise transmitted through the tyres/suspension and into the body or from the tyre contact on the road and then through the windows. I have the Comfort model and I don't think it has laminated side windows.
    Has anyone tried any means of minimising this problem. The tyres will need replacing soon, they are OEM Michelin premacy that are rated as a quiet tyre.

Advertisement

Allan

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Allan, I've found the Michelin a very noisy tyre on any vehicle here in Qld, and they ride like concrete blocks. The C5 has no insulation to speak of and the wheel is right under the seat which make them a noisy car in the back at the best of times. Get yourself one of those cheap plastic foam sleeping bag ground sheets and cut it to shape to fit under the back seats. Helps quite a lot. Cheers.

1000+ Posts

I suspect you are spoilt by the quietness of the C5 drive train etc. In the late 70s/early 80s we had an early Subaru. This car had virtually no sound deadening, and the mechanical noise while on quiet bitumen was really annoying.

It was always a relief to get onto a gravel road, where the tyre roar would drown out the engine noise .

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    ... cheap plastic foam sleeping bag ground sheets and cut it ...
    Thought you were going to add ... " and stuff the little bits in your ears!"

Thanks Shanadoo.
    You have jogged my memory re. the sleeping foam. Thanks I may try it.

What tyre do you believe is quiet, I don't want to get quiet at the expense of wear.

UFO

Having had Bridgestone RE050As on the C5 for the past 50,000km, I was less than impressed with them on the rear as they wore strangely - may have been due to the rear wheels being out of alignment. Anyway, they had become noisy and thrummy - sounded like stuffed rear bearings. This week I had two new Kumhos fitted ($275 each) and peace has returned. Still have a pair of Bridgestone on the front and they are wearing fine, but I will replace them with Kumhos if the rears show good wear and handling over time.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Default Noise ?

Hi
    I have Pirelli tires on mine. They are OK. The noise does vary a bit depending on the surface but is acceptable to me. I cannot bear to have the windows down a little on noisy surfaces so am aware of the noise, and it certainly comes in through the air and windows. The wind roar also annoys me.
    I do believe that the rest of the car being quiet does make you more more aware of the road noise. You can get headphones which cancel the noise but in my other car I sometimes wear just normal hearing protectors on long trips !! My other half likes to have the windows open in 'nice' weather often.The protectors just take the edge off the noise for me and help a lot. Never used them in the C5 with the windows shut. I do a few dirt roads and do not overinflate the tires either
    jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 28th April 2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: corrections !

I have a problem with road noise on the rear my wife's Mazda (they are infamous for road noise) and was delighted when I fitted Pirelli all round. They were beautifully quiet, but the fronts wore very fast.

I now have a pair of Michelin on the front, which seem to be wearing very well, and Pirelli on the rears, which are very quiet and wearing slowly. Seems like a good compromise It seems like the trade off is that softer tyres are quieter but wear faster.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    I have a problem with road noise on the rear my wife's Mazda (they are infamous for road noise) and was delighted when I fitted Pirelli all round. They were beautifully quiet, but the fronts wore very fast.

I now have a pair of Michelin on the front, which seem to be wearing very well, and Pirelli on the rears, which are very quiet and wearing slowly. Seems like a good compromise It seems like the trade off is that softer tyres are quieter but wear faster.
    Which tyre "model" exactly please?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Goodyears eco somethingorothers. A bit lumpy but really haven't noticed any nopise. that's what you get for trying to drive a Land Rover around Australia. And you're complaining of tyre noise?

1000+ Posts

So how about spraying some body deadener inside the wheel arches.

Alternatively ear plugs or the more recent audible earmuffs or whatever you would like to call them.

Nice look. A C5 being driven by a earmuffed driver

TRT

How old are the tyres?

I know I'm talking about my C4 (my C5 is Exclusive model and very quiet) but I eventually changed the Michelin Energy tyres on the C4 because of the noise. It got worse with tyre wear. They were not very noisy when new, but progrssively got worse until I had to get rid of them - even though they still had some wear in them. That was after 60,000 km.

Incidentally I replaced them with another set of Michelins and they're still quiet, and the car is coming up to 150,000k.

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Which tyre "model" exactly please?
    Ah yes, sorry, that might help!

The Pirelli are P6, the Michelin are Energy XM1. It rolls on 175/65x14, so nothing exotic.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Far too small from the sound of it. What about 225R16. That's what's on mine.

I have just put Michelin XM2s on the CX. While it is unfair to compare a brand new tyre just fitted to the XM1s that just came off I am very happy with them, they are quiet in every way. It was about a year ago when I was able to ride in the back of the daughters Golf and then my CX with her driving a week later. Road noise in the CX is very well suppressed on the Michelins and better than a new Golf. The XM2s cost $140 each.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Ah yes, sorry, that might help!

The Pirelli are P6, the Michelin are Energy XM1. It rolls on 175/65x14, so nothing exotic.
    Many thanks! Helped quite a bit....

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I have just put Michelin XM2s on the CX. While it is unfair to compare a brand new tyre just fitted to the XM1s that just came off I am very happy with them, they are quiet in every way. It was about a year ago when I was able to ride in the back of the daughters Golf and then my CX with her driving a week later. Road noise in the CX is very well suppressed on the Michelins and better than a new Golf. The XM2s cost $140 each.
    Thanks Greg.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Hello UFO.
    I believe your C5 is the latest phase (111 ).I wonder, maybe, I am being too critical?. I have not driven any car other than C5's for the past 10 years. I have no doubt re. the quality of the michelins' . After riding in the rear of other cars, maybe I'm being too critical. The OEM tyres are coming up to 40,000 km.
    Do you consider this to be OK? It is a heavy car with wide tyres.
    A bit disjointed but hope you know what I am getting at.
    Pekay49
    Not a bad idea! What do you know???

Allan

Ps. I have driven a LEXUS 450 HYBRID, quite nice, however $110,000 it should be. Ride not as good.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Thought you were going to add ... " and stuff the little bits in your ears!"
    That might work if you're ridding in the back. One of the noisiest cars, even Korean stuff is quieter, [but only for a while].

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Thanks Shanadoo.
    You have jogged my memory re. the sleeping foam. Thanks I may try it.

What tyre do you believe is quiet, I don't want to get quiet at the expense of wear.
    My old boss used Michelins on our company vehicles, because they lasted 60ks, rough as bags and they lost their wet grip when 3/4 worn. His choice. We hated them.

Tried Bridgstone, molding seam causes lumpy bumpy stuff after a while.
    Goodyear wear well on the back but very noisy, no good on the front of a C5. Don't seem to be able to handle the geometry.

I reckon a good combination is medium hard front, soft on back. Adjust pressures to suit applications. I use Maxxis all round now, last longer than the dreamtime, grip quite well, noise is quieter than other brands and they don't wear "all funny" with my pressures 36 32 on 15ins. And they cost less. cheers.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    So how about spraying some body deadener inside the wheel arches.

Alternatively ear plugs or the more recent audible earmuffs or whatever you would like to call them.
    Or you could put the windows down and let the outside noise drown out the inside noise, or restrict the back seat to deaf people only. Back seaters can't join in the front conversation anyway. Not without talking loud [read shout], around town. It's a shame.

Sorry to state the obvious; bugger the tyres, all related to road surface - the most contributing factor/variable!

John

PS: Guilty of staying on the RH lane on the highway (but not to the dentriment of others) simply because the RH lane was resurfaced with a smoother bitumen surface.

JAJEA
    I am leaning that way now. I think you are correct. Unless some motoring organisation has carried out tests over all road surfaces with the same car with different tyres fitted, I will probably go for the best deal on the main brands.
    Allan

I recently got a new set of Michelins Energy XM2's (205x65). Quite happy with them at 34psi all round.

Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information