GS fan nut size
  • Help

Thread: GS fan nut size

Default GS fan nut size

Thought I knew this, but now can't find it.
    What size socket do I need to remove the fan from a GS?
    Thanks

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Thought I knew this, but now can't find it.
    What size socket do I need to remove the fan from a GS?
    Thanks
    Just checked and discovered I don't have a tool big enough to do the job, however it looks like it would come close to 45mm
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Fellow Frogger!

Bruce it is 42 or 43 mm from memory. The CCCQ ( years ago ) used to have a socket that size....
    You may have some idea of who would have one these days more than I do. Give Hillary a ring.

No-one seems to have known anything about any CCCQ tools anytime I've asked anyone in about the last decade, but thanks for the suggestion.
    An attempted measurement would put it at 42 or 3.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I reckon we should get one to share in the Brisbane. There was (reloacetd to South Pine Road?) a toolshop in Brendale that had one but is was so dear I did not buy it - must have been like $50 or something.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    No-one seems to have known anything about any CCCQ tools anytime I've asked anyone in about the last decade, but thanks for the suggestion.
    An attempted measurement would put it at 42 or 3.
    Bruce I use a 1 11/16"(approx. 42.8mm) impact socket, cost $28... works just fine, 42mm is very uncommon in these parts and hence expensive because most likely it'll need to be ordered in.

I have a 42 mm socket..bought years ago when I was taking out the front subframe on my GS break (Delta Blue)
    Happy to loan out to any Aussie Frogger...you would just have to pay for the return post...
    cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I think I've got one. Mine was bought for the rear axle on hub on my Kombi's. I don't have a Kombi or GS anymore. I'm willing to lend the socket for those in Brisbane. But I have to find it first. We've just moved house and its in the garage 'somewhere'.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Fellow Frogger!

You will need a 3/4" bar for your socket & piece of extension pipe for leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I think I've got one. Mine was bought for the rear axle on hub on my Kombi's. I don't have a Kombi or GS anymore. I'm willing to lend the socket for those in Brisbane. But I have to find it first. We've just moved house and its in the garage 'somewhere'.
    Found my socket. But is 46 mm and too big to use on the GS. Shame. Because its not getting any use.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Rob, thanks for looking. You'll have to find someone with a Kombi

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

It is 42mm, a standard size in the old French metric series. I might have access to some new old stock Stanley 3/4" drive sockets for a reasonable price ($15 from memory) if anyone is interested.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    It is 42mm, a standard size in the old French metric series. I might have access to some new old stock Stanley 3/4" drive sockets for a reasonable price ($15 from memory) if anyone is interested.

Roger
    If the CCCV & CCOCA don't have one then I'd buy 2 for the clubs tool libarys
    Cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Tadpole

Been a long time but from memory it was 42mm. If you can get one for $15 grab it. I had/have one I bought 20 years ago for the $50 mark brand new. They were pretty rare. It was the only 3/4 in drive socket I had, with no socket wrench. That was even more outrageous. I used a bit of 3/4 in solid square bar and a monkey wrench to turn the sod. I chucked the bar years ago but I should still have the socket. I had a quick look in the tool shed without success. If it shows up you can have it. Bit rusty for a paper-weight and I'm not about to go out and build a bridge!

Thread Information