My old C5 HDI wagon for sale in Toowoomba, beware needs big $ spent
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default My old C5 HDI wagon for sale in Toowoomba, beware needs big $ spent

Hi All

Firstly thank you everyone for all your help, support & advice.
    My light gold C5 2005 hdi auto wagon & I have parted company & she was shipped to a dealer in Toowoomba. The car needs front drop links, suspension pipes are leaking from pump to sphere, removal & replacement of both rear suspension cylinders & top up with fluid, alternator belt, rear main seal needs replacing as do the rear brake calipers. Total cost quoted to me by the local dealer = $3765 (parts = $2071). Nor forgetting she had no under body protection & I cannot find any record of the auto being serviced!(after finally getting a hold of the service records) So I sold it to the local dealer, Citroen's are not an easy sell in Rockhampton.
    The rationale behind my post is to warn the prospective buyer what they are getting into!

Advertisement

As some one said on this very forum "Citroen's are a car you buy with both eyes open" or words to that affect.
    I am now coming to terms with being Citroenless, but more financially secure! SUCH IS LIFE bye for now Geoff

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manurewaboy View Post

As some one said on this very forum "Citroen's are a car you buy with both eyes open" (

Correct! And admire the beauty of the design . For buying anything else, i recommend shutting both eyes and not look at the heap of $#!+
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

I have just committed my beloved 2003 C5 wagon (2l petrol auto) for major repairs. I could just not live with the squeaking rear suspension bushes any longer. Also the ongoing problem of the hydraulic lifters is to be rectified. All up the cost will come to between 4 and 5 grand. A lot of money but as the car has only done 100,000 km's I feel it still has plenty of life left in it. I have considered trading it in but would get so little for it that I think would be better value to spend the money on what is still a great car and hopefully have many years of trouble free motoring.
    I will let you know how it turns out when I get it back in week or two.

Fellow Frogger

While they are in there doing the lifters, consider dealing with the exhaust manifold if the heat shield has it's usual fatigue fractures and vibrates. Most of the earlier cars are now instantly killed off economically by a gearbox failure unless the owner values the car enough to repair it. Bailing or fixing either car mentioned so far could be argued either way.

Hello deesse.
    I had the diesel version of your C5. Loved it!!! Your problem with the creaking suspension can be solved by purchasing bearing kits from a supporter of this forum. The components are not bushes but roller bearings, there are spacers and seals etc. in the kit.
    These should last a long time however the bloke who replaced them for me said they had been assembled with very little grease. Hence our problem.
    When the suspension is re assembled care must be taken to position the self levelling mechanism exactly as it was disconnected. ( on the sway bar). There could be wear in the suspension casting.Mine was worn a little but it was considered un necessary to build up and re machine the suspension casting.Sold it to a friend still going well.
    Cost of bearing kit approx.cost of parts and labour $500 each side.
    The lifters? No idea

Allan

file://localhost/Users/allan/Desktop/GENUINE%20CITROEN%20C5%20REAR%20SUSPENSION%20TRAIL ING%20ARM%20BOLT%20513267%20%7C%20eBay.webarchive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Hello deesse.
    I had the diesel version of your C5. Loved it!!! Your problem with the creaking suspension can be solved by purchasing bearing kits from a supporter of this forum. The components are not bushes but roller bearings, there are spacers and seals etc. in the kit.
    These should last a long time however the bloke who replaced them for me said they had been assembled with very little grease. Hence our problem.
    When the suspension is re assembled care must be taken to position the self levelling mechanism exactly as it was disconnected. ( on the sway bar). There could be wear in the suspension casting.Mine was worn a little but it was considered un necessary to build up and re machine the suspension casting.Sold it to a friend still going well.
    Cost of bearing kit approx.cost of parts and labour $500 each side.
    The lifters? No idea

Allan
    Just a mention on the bearings for those interested in such things. When a bearing is sold new they have enough grease in them to last for their supposed life. Many mechanics make the mistake of repacking any bearing till they're full, which actually shortens their life and can lead to early failure under heavy load situations. The balls or rollers in a bearing must rotate, too much grease will stop them from doing so, and cause them to skid around between the inner and outer races. True Stuff.
    So don't over pack any bearing. Don't pack grease into any hub, and don't fill the outer nut cap. Lubricates nothing and is a complete waste of grease and more importantly time.

Fellow Frogger!

It's a great pity many Citroen's and indeed, other makes, are disposed of because of our high labor costs and the inability of the trade in general to tackle anything out of the ordinary and go that extra mile at a reasonable cost.
    How many with slipping Al4 trans, source of the greatest repair expense, have fallen by the wayside due to the high labor cost. If it's just slipping or thumping, the accumulators, the clutch and brake packs in a Al4 can be replaced, drive in, drive out, in under 3 hrs and for only a few dollars. [Unless it's major, like the F3 brake, converter or pump which requires trans removal]. Even so one man can remove and replace the box in a day and a half max. And the control valve can be replaced in under an hour. I work slow and steady to suit my age. [Old fart] but my point is, why can't the shops work the same, are they just lazy? Why do they insist on a thumping great bill for replacing a trans, in what are now considered to be old bangers, when it's quite probably not necessary to do so. And what happens to these cars when the owner decides the quote is too prohibitive. Overseas it's off to the wreckers, here who knows. It's still a great pity that many Citroen's will no longer be enjoyed in their true environment, the open highway, simply because of a few dollars. And referring to my own old banger on the open road, what a joy it is.

The problem is many people put the cost of repairs up against the sale value of the car, whereas they should be putting it up against the cost of replacing the machine. In that way repairs that seem too expensive are actually not. Take our Xantia, I know it is worth virtually nothing but to replace it is going to be very difficult. We have looked at the new Citroen models but each time we have gone for a test drive, we turned up in the Xantia. Every time we drove away in the right car. Therefore if it needs repairs it will get it, I think even if the AL4 really packs up it will get fixed
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    The problem is many people put the cost of repairs up against the sale value of the car, whereas they should be putting it up against the cost of replacing the machine. In that way repairs that seem too expensive are actually not. Take our Xantia, I know it is worth virtually nothing but to replace it is going to be very difficult. We have looked at the new Citroen models but each time we have gone for a test drive, we turned up in the Xantia. Every time we drove away in the right car. Therefore if it needs repairs it will get it, I think even if the AL4 really packs up it will get fixed
    Quite so.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    That's great concept if the car built to last. My observation is that most modern cars have an economic and practical life of around 150- 250 thousand km.

After that everything from trim items to mechanics, electrical, etc etc are impractical to repair.

The problem with spending big dollars on an advancing km car is that in many cases the high repair bills continue. Often to stage, where after spending a fortune, another major item becomes the last straw and car gets sold. The owner often doesn't get the benefit of the money previously spent.

If you are DIY repairer and have a source of good used parts the cost to keep the car going is a practical proposition. But paying someone else to repair isn't.

For local cars, with parts from the "milk bar" and choice of mechanics I'd agree.

I know i'd be wary of spending too much money, with too many k's on the clock on any Pug, Renault or Cit a few years old.

Quote Originally Posted by manurewaboy View Post
    As some one said on this very forum "Citroen's are a car you buy with both eyes open" or words to that affect.
    (
    'and ears plastered shut, going by some other threads on this forum.

Jo

Thread Information