C5 2009 onwards - Window Tinting
  • Help

Default C5 2009 onwards - Window Tinting

I am looking at getting some window tinting and I have been reading about the reception issues for phones / GPS / radio etc when using metallic based tints. I know dyed tints on't last as long as the metallic ones also. External antennas should not be impacted but I will be using GPS on dash and phone in car etc.

Can anyone give me some real world advice on their experiences on reception using metallic tints please.

Advertisement

Thanks

Laurie

UFO

Laurie

With the pull up blinds in the rear doors and the rear window screen plus the existing tinting and lamination in the side windows, do you really think more tinting is necessary?

Just my from experience.

I reckon they'd want to be damned good to get the convex rear window correct.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Little bit about looks also Craig and stopping sun for front seat passengers. I believe the tinted windows use the metallic tinting technology so I was wondering about reception with more tinting.

Yes, rear window. Beyond me but not impossible.

TRT

From memory the C5 side/rear windows are 25% tinted already. Further tinting will reduce visibility, especially at night. But that's your call. Again from memory it is illegal to tint beyond a certain % in most States (35%?), as is any tinting of the front windscreen (ie, only side and rear can be tinted).

That said there are pre-cut window tinting kits available for C5s, and for most other cars. If you select a metalised option you may also need to invest in an external aerial for mobile phone. Providing GPS, e-Tags and other devices are near front windscreen (that you can't legally tint anyway) there should only be a small reduction in performance.

TRT

UFO

Also the windscreen on the S3 C5s do not have the athermic coating that caused challenges for S1 users. etags and GPS work fine.

The car probably has its original bee's dick aerial that is almost useless outside metro areas. Go to a decent car audio place and ask for a longer aerial for a european screw base. Should be about $20.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks for the tip on the aerial. Now a question of no real importance about the C5's. - why when I look at photos do some have the little aerial and others don't? I don't see enough of them up here to compare and didn't really notice till I looked at tinting.

Laurie

Laurie
    I am on my second C5 first one was an 04 comfort which I had tinting applied to the windows & yes it did affect my portable gps device, I have now got an 08 exclusive C5 which I will get tinting applied to soon, I have enquired about the tinting & there is stuff that will not effect the signal etc, I think it is called nanotech & is about the same price.

Regards

Thread Information