Citroen C5 auto surging
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C5 auto surging

Hey i have a 2004 C5 and under acceleration it surges sometimes it seems like the turbo wont spin up at all for awhile but once it spins up it goes very well as well as surging any ideas
    Iv put a scan tool on it and no fault codes pls help

Advertisement

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

If the turbo is on the way out (I have no idea) check ebay for rebuild kits and uprated turbo cores - about 250 quid. A hell of a lot cheaper than the 2k a new turbo costs locally....
    You can check the turbo by pulling off the hose(s) going to the intercooler. If they have oil in them, you need to rebuild the turbo....
    Last edited by WRB; 24th April 2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: extra info

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by hades302 View Post
    Hey i have a 2004 C5 and under acceleration it surges sometimes it seems like the turbo wont spin up at all for awhile but once it spins up it goes very well as well as surging any ideas
    Iv put a scan tool on it and no fault codes pls help
    You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.

This is what I get most of the time when trying to answer. Don't have a refresh button and already logged in. Gotta be quick is all.

More info needed 'ol mate, what motor, when fault occurs. Doubt if it's the turbo. Intake oil is from PCV usually.
    Are you sure its not trans slippage.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 25th April 2013 at 08:42 AM.

Fellow Frogger

Assume it's the HDi auto and also, for the moment, that it's not a gearbox problem ... (I assume it changes gears and isn't stuck in 3rd)
    Check the rubber air pipes and make sure they are not soggy and possibly collapsing intermittently.
    Before spending any money, maybe try cleaning out a few air pipes and (very carefully) the air flow meter.
    What's the service history? When was the fuel filter changed? Frequent oil changes with the correct oil or not?
    There can be a bit of a turbo lag with the earlier HDi's, so is this a condition that has just arisen and is different behaviour to what you've expereienced for years of ownership -OR- is this a recently acquired car that you know very little about?

Tadpole

I haven't owned the car long but its not always the same lag it will go realy good one minuite and crap the next its like if i hold my foot flat it is gutless but if i lift my foot alittle it goes and iv also tested the accelerator sensors with a scan tool seems to be working good 0% up 2 about 98% if also owned it for about 4 or 5 months and hasnt used a drop of oil so i cant see the turbo leaking oil into the pipes.

O and when it does go good it still surges alittle thanks

TRT

Agree with David, that sounds like a fuel filter problem. Check that first as it is cheapest remedy.

TRT

Fellow Frogger!

IF it is a diesel, it sounds like the symptoms I had when my timing was out by a bee's d..k. Have you only just bought it? Did the previous owner sell it because they couldn't find out what was wrong with it? If it goes OK when warm, but hopeless when cold and if fuel consumption is up a bit, then it sounds like your timing is out and/or your cambelt bolts have slipped a bit. There are 3 bolts on the cam pulley that are in a slot and can be adjusted. Get a mechanic to do it.

Erik

Thread Information