Accsessory point for 1961 ID19- need advice.
  • Help
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default Accsessory point for 1961 ID19- need advice.

    Hello everyone.
    I was thinking to install LED daytime driving light on my car. I have looked at manual and advice use this special point behind glove box. I have located it but it has constant 12V supply even ignition is in OFF position. Is that normal?
    I want light to come on as soon as car is started. I did see previous owner electronic installed window washer motor using one of connector behind speedo console. So I can use that but it will look messy( I can not see it normally- but knowing what is happening behind hidden door make me not to sleep.). Is there any easy point inside bonnet? Please let me know.
    Thank you.

    Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Accsessory point for 1961 ID19- need advice.-accsessory-point-copy.jpg  
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 22nd April 2013 at 02:56 PM.

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Greg C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    First question is why? I thought about putting them under the headlights on the CX but though I'll just run the parking lights if it is needed. I would think a good point would be the coil. Find which side has voltage when the ignition is on and them you will have the lights when ever the engine is running. To fully comply though they should be arranged so that they turn off when you run the cars lighting at nightime. My current daily driver does that.
    Mine

    CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

    In the family

    Xantia SX

  3. #3
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,754

    Default

    Whoever made that picture is on drugs. The arrow is pointing to the earth point for the wiring(well that one looks like it could be power ... if it's plastic as shown). All you need to do is find a switched 12volt wires. There is obviously one off the back of the igntion. You should be safe 'T'ing LED lighting from anywhere as it should pull a very small current. I made up a 'T' piece off the back of the ignition on my ID to power the gauges so I didn't have to chop into the wiring.

    Don't put in high power users like modern amps/speaker systems. The old generator won't have the capacity to run them and you'll end up with a flat battery.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 22nd April 2013 at 05:23 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    First question is why? I thought about putting them under the headlights on the CX but though I'll just run the parking lights if it is needed. I would think a good point would be the coil. Find which side has voltage when the ignition is on and them you will have the lights when ever the engine is running. To fully comply though they should be arranged so that they turn off when you run the cars lighting at nightime. My current daily driver does that.
    Answer to question: I saw all the current modern cars have them. It looks good! I guess I am bored. But Also I need to install water temperature gauge + tacho meter aswell so It is good to know where the power source is.
    Thanks for your advice!

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Whoever made that picture is on drugs. The arrow is pointing to the earth point for the wiring. All you need to do is find a switched 12volt wires. There is obviously one off the back of the igntion. You should be safe 'T'ing LED lighting from anywhere as it should pull a very small current. I made up a 'T' piece off the back of the ignition on my ID to power the gauges so I didn't have to chop into the wiring.

    Don't put in high power users like modern amps/speaker systems. The old generator won't have the capacity to run them and you'll end up with a flat battery.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hello Shane how is going? Thanks for reply! I actually measured that arrowed point to ground( metal part of car) and It read +12V. Manual mentions it can gives 20A high current. Maybe I need to use this with separate switch or relay?
    I will locate one pin behind ignition switch and I will make T or Y or multiple connector for future use.

  6. #6
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Answer to question: I saw all the current modern cars have them. It looks good! I guess I am bored. But Also I need to install water temperature gauge + tacho meter aswell so It is good to know where the power source is.
    Thanks for your advice!
    You can make a behind-the-dash ignition switched source very simply. You'll need an 20/30A ice-cube style relay to do this. From the power point (the 12V battery source), connect a wire (say, 14ga, doesn't need to be any bigger) to terminal '30' on the relay. From any ignition feed (like the back of the ignition switch or from the heater fan input) make a jumper and then connect to '85' on the relay. '86' will connect to ground. '87' will be your output for a temp gauge and a tach, as well as the lamp you want. Do not exceed 20 amps on the power stud- add the draws from your ignition accessories, as well as whatever is originally on the stud.

    Greg has it as well- you can take a power source from the coil + to run some small accessories.

    Shane, I have no idea what is wrong with that pic- note that it's LHD. Is that what's tripping you?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  7. #7
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    You can make a behind-the-dash ignition switched source very simply. You'll need an 20/30A ice-cube style relay to do this. From the power point (the 12V battery source), connect a wire (say, 14ga, doesn't need to be any bigger) to terminal '30' on the relay. From any ignition feed (like the back of the ignition switch or from the heater fan input) make a jumper and then connect to '85' on the relay. '86' will connect to ground. '87' will be your output for a temp gauge and a tach, as well as the lamp you want. Do not exceed 20 amps on the power stud- add the draws from your ignition accessories, as well as whatever is originally on the stud.

    Greg has it as well- you can take a power source from the coil + to run some small accessories.

    Shane, I have no idea what is wrong with that pic- note that it's LHD. Is that what's tripping you?
    Yeah I thought that was an earth point in the car at home. I'm going to check tonight!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    You can make a behind-the-dash ignition switched source very simply. You'll need an 20/30A ice-cube style relay to do this. From the power point (the 12V battery source), connect a wire (say, 14ga, doesn't need to be any bigger) to terminal '30' on the relay. From any ignition feed (like the back of the ignition switch or from the heater fan input) make a jumper and then connect to '85' on the relay. '86' will connect to ground. '87' will be your output for a temp gauge and a tach, as well as the lamp you want. Do not exceed 20 amps on the power stud- add the draws from your ignition accessories, as well as whatever is originally on the stud.

    Greg has it as well- you can take a power source from the coil + to run some small accessories.

    Shane, I have no idea what is wrong with that pic- note that it's LHD. Is that what's tripping you?
    Thanks Hotrodelectric for your reply!

    So you are saying I use that point indicated by allow in the manual and use relay to conduct? I believe those relay has some pins. So I am thinking it as transistor/triac/scr kind of device. So do I use ground from metal part of car( for negative -) or should I run a thicker cable from Battery directly? I have done basic electronics at RMIT just finished last year but it is still hard for me to understand many things....

    I just saw relay diagram and pin number and It is now clear how to connect. I do`nt need to use 87A I guess.
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 23rd April 2013 at 11:34 AM.

  9. #9
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Icon14

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Thanks Hotrodelectric for your reply!

    So you are saying I use that point indicated by allow in the manual and use relay to conduct? I believe those relay has some pins. So I am thinking it as transistor/triac/scr kind of device. So do I use ground from metal part of car( for negative -) or should I run a thicker cable from Battery directly? I have done basic electronics at RMIT just finished last year but it is still hard for me to understand many things....
    Remember- a relay is simply a solenoid that allows you turn power on and off remotely. The point indicated in the manual- ensure that it looks like that!- is the one you take your battery ("30") from. You can ground just about anywhere, although there is also a ground stud under the dash, nearly opposite of the power stud, closer to the steering column. It might be a bit of a pain to find under sound deadening, and is not insulated like the power stud, but it should be there.

    Don't be ashamed about not understanding everything- I've been at this for over 30 years and I still have a bit of a head scratch on occasion. Remember- dumb questions are cheaper to fix than dumb mistakes.

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    I just saw relay diagram and pin number and It is now clear how to connect. I do`nt need to use 87A I guess.
    Yah- 87a is essentially battery direct out. Normally (not always!!), the contact between 30 and 87a is the 'at rest' position for an ice cube style relay. The diagram you see on a relay will tell you what you need to know.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Accsessory point for 1961 ID19- need advice.-sunp0087.jpg
    Thanks everyone! I used Positive terminal of coil thing. I think looks ok!?

  11. #11
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Icon14

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0087.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	43792
    Thanks everyone! I used Positive terminal of coil thing. I think looks ok!?
    Hmmm... That actually does look pretty cool.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Ahhhh do you think so- I was jealous because all the modern car comes with daytime driving light! Thanks!

  13. #13
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Ahhhh do you think so- I was jealous because all the modern car comes with daytime driving light! Thanks!
    Don't be too jealous. They're useless in many situations, mostly because they're a much lower output than a regular headlight. They're really not much better than a side or marker light. Even our NHTSA, in an all too rare moment of sanity decided against requiring them.

    I do like what you did for your car. Are those LED?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne,victoria,australia
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0087.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	43792
    Thanks everyone! I used Positive terminal of coil thing. I think looks ok!?
    initially I thought....'don't deviate from stock' BUT...I have to admit...it looks quite good in the night shot.
    What does it look like during the day (another photo please)
    Get anything from Camberwell Mkt yesterday??
    cheers
    Rev. Dogboy


    1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    initially I thought....'don't deviate from stock' BUT...I have to admit...it looks quite good in the night shot.
    What does it look like during the day (another photo please)
    Get anything from Camberwell Mkt yesterday??
    cheers
    Thanks for the compliment! My wife thinks it is "TRY HARD", I think so too but because those LED are so cheap on ebay I could not resist! I also have long strip of orange LED lights. I am thinking of using them for indicator. I also have idea of making this car like KITT from Nightrider.
    Yes I don`t like the idea of being not original as well that is why everything were attached to car using tapes so I can pull them out easily. And When Car is parked you do`nt see the light because they are hidden under the bumper.
    I did not find anything photographic or anything Citroen yesterday.

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    I also have idea of making this car like KITT from Nightrider.
    Absolutely not caparobertsan!

    (but I like the driving lights!)
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Absolutely not caparobertsan!

    (but I like the driving lights!)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RED-BLUE-...item2c6abd4780

    No I will not do it! Just a thoughts!

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    I think those cheap ebay LED day time driving lights might be useless!?Accsessory point for 1961 ID19- need advice.-l1000846.jpg

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Love the look of that original ID! I'll buy it from you!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Love the look of that original ID! I'll buy it from you!
    Ahhh, I am not bored with it as yet. After watching "Gatsby" I thought I did not mind car appeared in the film. Car was much older than mine and it did look like Tractionavant.

    I LOVE MY ID19!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •