Why you should check your DS fuel lines
  • Help
    UFO

Icon4 Why you should check your DS fuel lines

Over the years there have been various threads about fuel lines on DSs - particularly the dreaded Weber carby line dropping out. Tonight while searching for some pics I found both lots I was looking for. Below are pics of the result of the fire in what was then Gerry Freed's DS23 Safari BVH with a Weber carburettor.

Advertisement

Also there are pics of the result of fuel injection lines bursting on a DS23ie.

Please ensure you regularly check the lines and connections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-1.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-2.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-3.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-4.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-5.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-6.jpg  

Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-7.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-8.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-9.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-10.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-11.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-12.jpg  

Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-13.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-14.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-15.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23-ie-fire-16.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-01.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-02.jpg  

Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-03.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-04.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-05.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-06.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-07.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-08.jpg  

Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-09.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-10.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-11.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-12.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-13.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-14.jpg  

Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-15.jpg   Why you should check your DS fuel lines-ds23carby-fire-16.jpg  
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

The good news is both of those cars were subsequently onsold and repaired.

Not just DS fuel lines but BX ones too! I lost 2/3 of a tank of petrol leaving Launceston one night, I got about 30k out of town. The carby line had popped off, spilling it all down the front of what was a very warm engine. Boy was I thankful I'd only lost my fuel.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

Almost all cars fitted with Weber, Solex or Zenith are prone to this problem. It was a disgrace it was allowed for so long.

VW aircooled were famous for fires. My 1961 ID19 did it in 1971 !

My DS now is fitted with Richo's excellent solution.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

This thread should be renamed to 'Why you should carry a fire extinguisher in your treasured vehicles'.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Almost all cars fitted with Weber, Solex or Zenith are prone to this problem. It was a disgrace it was allowed for so long.

VW aircooled were famous for fires. My 1961 ID19 did it in 1971 !

My DS now is fitted with Richo's excellent solution.
    What's richo's solution..? Got a link?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Over the years there have been various threads about fuel lines on DSs - particularly the dreaded Weber carby line dropping out. Tonight while searching for some pics I found both lots I was looking for. Below are pics of the result of the fire in what was then Gerry Freed's DS23 Safari BVH with a Weber carburettor.

Also there are pics of the result of fuel injection lines bursting on a DS23ie.

Please ensure you regularly check the lines and connections.

UFO you're probably wondering what ever happened to this car (Jenny's car I think) well here some pictures taken about 4 years ago. This car is still undergoing extensive restoration

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20022010008.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20022010001.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	42010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20022010004.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	42011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20022010005.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	42012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20022010007.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	42013

Quote Originally Posted by renault12 View Post
    What's richo's solution..? Got a link?

Thanks!
    D Series Fuel Inlet Fitting Fix Kit

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I lost a Triumph TR3A to a fuel fire too, so anything is prone to it. I was driving a friend to the airport in Sydney, you could smell fuel virtually the whole way there. I dropped him off, just got out of the airport and woomp, up she went. If you smell any hint of fuel, stop immediately. After that lesson I found a fuel line that was weeping a tiny bit on our Xantia a few years ago and is now fixed.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thank you for your thread. "Richo's excellent solution" was worth chasing up. Which lead to "D Series Fuel Inlet Fitting Fix Kit".
    What you say is on the money and once you have had a fire you never forget. I have asked a few people over time how to prevent the problem, but this is the best solution.

Kind regards, Fred.

The Gerry Freed DS is still alive also but still in the garage. Its going a lot slower than I intended - time and money.
    At present its interior is stripped clean, and all floor rust attended to and the floor coated with Por-15. The underside also - just needs a little more coating to finish off up to the firewall. I'm not going any further into the engine bay at this stage as the car was purchased running and my aim is to get it back on the road and registered so I can drive it. Then I'll continue to work forward of the firewall.
    Two weekends ago I broke the roof away from the cant rails and it will go off to a good restorer for rust work once I find a good tradesperson interested. It needs new metal across the front and around one side.
    I'll work on the cant rails myself as much as possible. I have new rubber for it and read the various threads about sealing the roof back on.
    Underneath I'm replacing the headlight levelling system as well.
    I did end up hitting a section of floor back as it was distincly kinked above the flexi joint in front of the muffler. Came out well.
    Rest of underneath has been badly scraped. Previous owners ran it round paddocks on low settings I'd say.
    Basically really good bones, but been bush-bashed.

Installed new boots all around as well as main accumulator. Haven't tested yet to see if pump doesn't work as hard. If it doesn't = all's well. If it does = replace or overhaul the steering rack.
    Replaced back suspension rods and cones as well. New bump stops all round.

While the roofs off, I supposed to have the tailgate hinge bracket moved 10mm according to Gerry but he cannot remember which side or to front or back. The tailgate doesn't fully close on the drivers side. That side you might say, but the problem is the tailgate is nicely parallel across the roof line and pulling the hinge forward there will have it binding on the roof edge. Then also, no matter how I measure it from wherever, both hinges appear to be spot on where they are.
    *If anyone has a good memory, I'd love their recollection of this problem/solution.

After the roofs all done, the doors need some minor rust welded at the bottom, and a lot of dents pushed out by my PDR brother at Brookvale. Guards need PDR as well - no rust.
    Then the paint shop. Then the interior. (or visa-versa).

Hopefully then rego and back on the road.
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications. becoming a retirement project).
    BMW 530i M-sport Touring - 2003 (current drive car).
    Suzuki SX4 - 2009 (great car for the daughter).
    Mitsubishi ASX - 2018 (for the wife).
    Toyota Rav 4 - 1996 (Never say die. Service and tow vehicle. just keeps on going).

Before you go to the expense of the steering rack, please, diagnose properly the possible cause for the lack of time between cycles.
    The car is a BVH, that's a hydraulic hungry circuit too.

Good luck with everything.

cheers,
    richo

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Before you go to the expense of the steering rack, please, diagnose properly the possible cause for the lack of time between cycles.
    The car is a BVH, that's a hydraulic hungry circuit too.

Good luck with everything.

cheers,
    richo
    Thanks Richo.
    Your advice is always appreciated.
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications. becoming a retirement project).
    BMW 530i M-sport Touring - 2003 (current drive car).
    Suzuki SX4 - 2009 (great car for the daughter).
    Mitsubishi ASX - 2018 (for the wife).
    Toyota Rav 4 - 1996 (Never say die. Service and tow vehicle. just keeps on going).

Thread Information