C5 transmission selector different problem - will NOT stop selector moving?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 transmission selector different problem - will NOT stop selector moving?

Hi, this is a new one to me . C5, 2002 petrol model. With ignition off there is NO gear selector lockout when in the park position. Turn the ignition on or engine on with lever in park, wait for a minute and the lockout will activate preventing the selector from moving out of park. Put foot on brake pedal and the lockout will NOT release. The only way to release the lockout is to turn the ignition off . The brake lights work so suspect the brake switch is OK. Any ideas? Also as a side issue - Why can't I enter a new paragraph when I press "Enter" key? I am sure I used to be able; my computer, or is this the same for all? Michael

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Dont know for sure but suspect the brake lights have there own switch ,have a look under the dash .pugs

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    Dont know for sure but suspect the brake lights have there own switch ,have a look under the dash .pugs
    According to the Haynes book of Fairy Tales for the C5, there are 2 brake pedal switches'; 1 X brake lights; 1 X cruise control.

Quote Originally Posted by michael16v View Post
    Hi, this is a new one to me . C5, 2002 petrol model. With ignition off there is NO gear selector lockout when in the park position. Turn the ignition on or engine on with lever in park, wait for a minute and the lockout will activate preventing the selector from moving out of park. Put foot on brake pedal and the lockout will NOT release. The only way to release the lockout is to turn the ignition off . The brake lights work so suspect the brake switch is OK. Any ideas? Also as a side issue - Why can't I enter a new paragraph when I press "Enter" key? I am sure I used to be able; my computer, or is this the same for all? Michael
    Hi Michael

I've not had the same problem but would suspect the solenoid David S has circled in this pic (Release solenoid).

Read through this thread for pics etc. on how to gain access, if you do delve in there consider replacing the detent pin (not your current fault but an inexpensive part that is a common failure).

C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift

On your other problem regarding paragraphs, 'enter key' works fine here,

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Bump. The fact that the solenoid works - after a minute - makes me think it might not be the solenoid, and the fact that the solenoid is Not Engaged with the engine off is the confusing part. There is an aftermarket cruise control fitted. Do you think that this might be part of the problem as it has to use the brake switch/light Cct for activation?? As this is not my car, belongs to a fellow CCC member, and he has only owned it for a short time I have no knowledge as to wether this fault has been there for a long or short time.

Fellow Frogger!

Checked the gearbox multi function switch?

Fellow Frogger!

Where would this switch be located
    Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Checked the gearbox multi function switch?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by michael16v View Post
    Where would this switch be located
    On top of the gearbox, it's the box that the selector shaft comes out of, it's a multi track switch for the dash gear selection lights starting and park circuit.

Fellow Frogger

I wouldn't go playing with the multi-function switch unless you are feeling reasonably competent with it. If you damage it, the gearbox is quite likely to misbehave. I think there is also a small circuit board for the lockout, so that could be suspect. Probably the simplest thing to do is disconnect the cruise control system and see if it works OK. It would use the brake switch as an input, but may be interfering with what the brake switch is meant to do. There is another trap that can cause odd problems and that is fitting a single filament globe in a dual filament socket - stop lamp globes been replaced lately?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I wouldn't go playing with the multi-function switch unless you are feeling reasonably competent with it. If you damage it, the gearbox is quite likely to misbehave. I think there is also a small circuit board for the lockout, so that could be suspect. Probably the simplest thing to do is disconnect the cruise control system and see if it works OK. It would use the brake switch as an input, but may be interfering with what the brake switch is meant to do. There is another trap that can cause odd problems and that is fitting a single filament globe in a dual filament socket - stop lamp globes been replaced lately?
    Oh boy, that bulb thing brings back memories.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Michael I have the same problem with my laptop, press enter and it goes bonkers, continues on the first line and wont space must say it is frustrating, yet when I use my daughter pc its ok, my pc repairer claims its the company I keep buy a real car and not some French Junk doing so I will not need to visit any forum. he drives 200 year old rust bucket gender unknown. Tony

Thread Information