Annoying click from 2cv going over bumps
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Annoying click from 2cv going over bumps

At rest my 2cv can be rocked and each corner pressed down and is quiet.However on the move there is a sporadic "click" which sounds as if it is coming from the suspension.Worse over some bumps and sometimes heard when just moving off on the flat . Any ideas ?

Advertisement

Tadpole

If you have recently removed the mudguards you may have not located the inner section of the mudguard in the 2 rubbers on the chassis. This can allow the axle to foul on the inner guard.

Tadpole

Thanks for the PM.Pleased to pick the clicking cause.

It had me baffled on my car until I found what it was.

Fellow Frogger!

I recently had similar. Tom Dolan greased. Said it wouldn't instantly disappear which was right. But a few weeks of weekend driving only, it has gone. Chris M

JBN

I am a little lost by the above posts and a PM whose contents I can only guess.

I assume the mudguards were not correctly located into their rubbers and this caused the 2CV to "click" when it hit bumps. Is this correct?

What is the significance of the statement "Tom Dolan greased"? Greased what?

John

Fellow Frogger!

Jeez John, can't answer that as I don't know that names of that stuff. For memory there is some joint where the arm is connected to something else.....at that point I think. Would have to pull invoice out to provide better description but am out of town currently. That noise described could have been anything. On my car it was suspension related and however it was treated with grease resulted in success. It was a loud clunking sound from rear corner. Chris M

JBN

OK. Sounds like the bearings on the rear suspension arm must have been dry, neccessitating either replacement or re-greasing.

Remember the knife edges also need grease applied.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Hi John that sounds about right. All fine now but if they need replacing i will do without hesitation. By the way I am waiting for a very cool little package from Alex Assbock a mate of Peter Fosselius, from Germany. It is beading for that little channel round rear windscreen. It is a chrome looking strip and needs to be moulded into shape as fitted using say a hairdryer. Mine is faded and they all do that. The beading cost just $20 inc post. Should make car look better from the back. Chris Mortimer

JBN

I have done it the expensive way, bought a whole new hood with rear window and beading. The beading that runs along the gutter above the doors needs the same heat treatment to get it into shape. Its a pain to transport as it is so long.

John

Tadpole

It was the inner guard not being located in the two split rubbers on the chassis

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by pr2cv View Post
    It was the inner guard not being located in the two split rubbers on the chassis
    I always check the mudguard is correctly located in the rubber by feel. You should be able to bend half of each rubber towards the engine, with the other half out of sight on the otherside (wheel side) of the mudguard. The darker the colour of the guard, the more difficult it can be to see the rubber.

Lets hope all your problems with your 2CV are cheap and simple to rectify.

John

Thread Information