xantia V6 crunch time
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon8 xantia V6 crunch time

Finally got the bi**h home now it is decision time do I save it or more accurately is it saveable
    The car drives just ie engages D and R but there is a nasty whining grumble from the auto .
    1.Is it worth trying to resurrect it as stands ie pull the access cover clean out and flush or is the pump in the auto terminal and how much can be achieved without removing the box and splitting it
    2. Pull the auto and rebuild myself as if I have the time
    3. pull the auto and install manual box
    4. wreck the car
    It pisses me off that everything has just been done
    front discs
    cam belt
    coolant hoses
    steering hoses
    sunroof motor
    exhaust
    tyres
    window cable
    etc
    etc

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

FWIW I'd either fix it myself with a manual transplant (huge job in detail) or sell it to someone who would. The rest of the car is great.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

She'll be right - just drain out all that blackened Dex III and refill it with nice clean Dex II - fixes all french autos .

Cheers

Alec

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    She'll be right - just drain out all that blackened Dex III and refill it with nice clean Dex II - fixes all french autos .

Cheers

Alec
    Don't the 4hp20's die around 150->200,000 ..... as in dead ... worn out, not contamination like the old 4hp18's

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

JBN

If the autobox is a ZF, its certainly worth dropping the oil and filling with a Dexron II oil. On BX and Xantia ZF boxes, I've use Castrol Transmax M. Its cheap and readily available and its Dex II. On the 4 cylinder autos, your drop 2.4l each time you drain the gearbox and transaxle, out of a total of about 6.5l. Keep doing this until the colour of what you are dropping approaches the colour of new fluid.

In your case, since the car is barely driveable, just go around the block once or twice and drop the oil. That gives the auto the chance to mix clean oil with the old oil still in the torque convertor. If you have a few spare glass jars, put a sample of each drop into a jar, number it 1 to ? and you will see how the colour changes from black to more reddish.

The above exercise may not work as the gearbox may be too far gone. At least the experiment won't send you broke. Should the gearbox be stuffed, check with Martin Bray in SA to see if he has anything to offer. I think the easiest is to replace the box with another automatic box rather than find a manual box and add all the related paraphernalia.

John

Fellow Frogger

4HP20 is a ZF box, but it apparently sounds like the pump has eaten itself and an oil change can't fix that.

You may get away with replacing the pump if that turns out to be the extent of the problem. As far as I am aware, the case has to be split to do that job. It also allows you to clean the pickup, which is probably blocked.

cheers and thanks for the advice.
    Yes David I think it must be the pump even though the box engages there is a constant loud whine when running in any gear signaling that the pump has flogged out possibly thru starvation .
    It is a time and emotion thing,
    the car is worth a grand max as a basket case and 3 grand as a goer,
    I think pulling the box and fixing is likely more than 2 grand , a manual conversion 1 grand in parts and less than a grand in labour then a unique car worth ?? none of it makes much financial sense but the manual conversion would be fun. meanwhile the car is ensconced in the new archie carpark amazing finish the paving one day car on it the next
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

1000+ Posts

Hi-Dave Cavanagh has or had a good ZF auto in a V6 auto he is wrecking????????

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hi-Dave Cavanagh has or had a good ZF auto in a V6 auto he is wrecking????????
    HAVE ALREADY DISCUSSED IT WITH THEM SEEMS IT IS HIGH K'S AND HAS HAD COOLANT IN IT FROM EXCHANGER When I consider price plus transport
    Me thinks out of the frying pan and into the fire

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    HAVE ALREADY DISCUSSED IT WITH THEM SEEMS IT IS HIGH K'S AND HAS HAD COOLANT IN IT FROM EXCHANGER When I consider price plus transport
    Me thinks out of the frying pan and into the fire
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Default guess what ARCHIE has just found

Well I hope it fits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xantia V6 crunch time-manual-box.jpeg  

So you bought the kit off gum tree? Now that would be a nice xantia!!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

Speaking from experience make sure you get everything you need from the car the box came out of,before it goes to the crusher ,if it hasnt already.its not until you get into it that you discover all the little bits and peaces that make it come together ,dont forget to by pass the isolator switch from the auto selector ,otherwise it wont start seems like a good result ,are the drive shafts the same .pugs

1000+ Posts

Where are the gearstick, linkages, the clutch pedal, brake pedal (almost certainly different to the auto brake pedal) plus whatever connects pedal to the clutch (cable? hydraulics?)?

As pugwash says, get every mounting bracket, screw, fitting etc that might possibly be relevant.

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Where are the gearstick, linkages, the clutch pedal, brake pedal (almost certainly different to the auto brake pedal) plus whatever connects pedal to the clutch (cable? hydraulics?)?

As pugwash says, get every mounting bracket, screw, fitting etc that might possibly be relevant.

Cheers

Alec
    As someone said, best to have the donor car alongside!! God knows what odd things will need changing too.

Either way, good luck. A manual V6 would be a nice car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

I don't think a manual v6 xantia was sold here so finding a Donner car will be impossible!
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    I don't think a manual v6 xantia was sold here so finding a Donner car will be impossible!
    Maybe, the odd kebab though?

I gather that lot came from a Pug of some sort. A late 4 cylinder Xantia manual would very likely donate items like the pedal box and lever etc.. Is the clutch hydraulic? Most of the 4 cylinder cars had a cable clutch, but some of the late examples and the Turbo I think had hydraulic clutch operation. It may pay to pick the right kebab to begin with. You may want find it helpful to find the correct part numbers in Citroen Service for a generic manual V6 Xantia and then search for the same part number across all the Pug models in the equivalent Pug parts system.

That sounds the go. I believe the bits in the picture came from a 406 sv
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

the setup I have found includes shifter and drive shafts , don't know whether i will need the shafts no clutch but i think it is a hydraulic and I may have to get that from the UK but should not be a problem getting the gearbox from the UK was size customs courier etc and cost
    This box is in SA so courier is easy and cost cheap
    donor car is gone but informed it had only done 140k
    so the box should be sweet ,
    may still have it stripped and checked before installation
    Thanks for the reminder re inhibitor switch

My v6 has nearly 290 on it and my mates has over 290 Both boxes sounds and shift perfect! so I doubt the box will have any problems
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    the setup I have found includes shifter and drive shafts , don't know whether i will need the shafts no clutch but i think it is a hydraulic and I may have to get that from the UK but should not be a problem getting the gearbox from the UK was size customs courier etc and cost
    This box is in SA so courier is easy and cost cheap
    donor car is gone but informed it had only done 140k
    so the box should be sweet ,
    may still have it stripped and checked before installation
    Thanks for the reminder re inhibitor switch
    You'd better keep close to French Connection and others for Xantia manual bits I'd suggest.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Sad, the Xantia I was familiar with never missed a beat. It was a 2.0 litre 8 V Auto. Can't believe people have problems with those autos. Purred like a french pussy and best auto I have ever driven including the 6 speed C5 I now drive. Got to 200,oooks no probs never used a drop of oil. I think I'd take my father's advice in your case, that being, no good pouring good money after bad. Good luck. Bugger when things like that happen. Reminds me of a Land Rover I once owned. Worse car ever. Vowed never to touch a British car ever again. Might go a brand new Jag BUT nothing else. That Rover turned me French forever!

Fellow Frogger!

My 350k hp20 box is fine
    My 220k hp20 just died

My Xantia VSX 1998 2L 8V's auto died suddenly in the middle of the road. Spent $5000 on a reconditioned auto replacement. Stupid decision, but it was a lovely car. Traded it on my current C5. I wanted a V6 Xantia for a long time. Won't happen now. Lovely car to drive. I'll never forget my first drive of a Xantia. Reminded me of being in a Chevy Impala. It felt huge and floaty.

Fellow Frogger!

Just bought another V6
    Is there any hope?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information