Diconnecting battery on C5 Citroen
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Diconnecting battery on C5 Citroen

Hi guys

Went to start the c5 2005 2.2 hdi auto after letting it sit idle for a few weeks..I turned the key & click nothing, what the!

Found the battery & the terminals were breading all sorts of interesting life forms. .I want to disconnect the terminals & clean them

Consulting my owners handbook says I may need a radio code, which I don't have or a code card for that matter

Found this post on the uk french car forum. Does anyone have first hand experience in this?

I don't understand the following statement "Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal" from the text below, I have no idea what a festoon bulb is, can I use something else.

The car is in the low position if it is sitting idle & you can't start it aye

Is it necessary to follow this procedure to the letter?

C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm
    This is becoming a frequent item so I'm going to bung a reference post here.

Ideally needs to be in a garage and if the battery is at all suspect this should be charged overnight. A defective or discharged battery can cause a lot of headaches and may result it more problems after performing this procedure.

Drop the suspension to low (to prevent the pump running when you refit the battery).
    Open the driver's window and remove the keys, close any doors.
    Wait at least ten minutes, ideally half an hour.

Unclip the battery leads.
    Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal - for a minute or so.
    Short the battery leads together for a minute.

Wait at least half an hour.

Advertisement

Replace the battery and clip the leads on. Do not open the door or otherwise disturb the car.
    Wait at least ten minutes.
    Reach in through the window and put the sidelights on. Wait a few minutes, five to ten ideal.
    Reach in and turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. Wait five minutes.
    Start the engine and let it idle for five minutes.
    Open the door, get in and operate the suspension buttons. Image

If all is well then you will need to retune the radio, reset the time and date, reset autolights and reset window controls.

Thanks in advance for help/advice you may bestow on a mechanically ignorant & challenged tadpole

Regards Geoff
    Last edited by manurewaboy; 13th April 2013 at 04:44 PM.

What is being described there is a full shutdown and reboot of the computers on the car. It can't hurt to follow the exact procedure. If the battery is at all suspect, age near or over 3 years, I would replace it.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Tadpole

Thnx for your reply Greg. What I want to know is
    1/ do I need the radio code & how do I get it if I do
    2/ will I upset anything by disconnecting the bat terminals ie immobilisers etc
    3/ going to disconnect tonight & charge the battery o/night & being anal/dilligent

Thats a very tasty CX you have there any photos of it?

Cheers

I think it's safe to assume that if you have a 2005 model C5 it's got an RD3, RD4 or RT4 radio, and therefore has no security code that you need to enter.

The radio is coded with the VIN of the car, so it should be quite happy if it stays in the same car, despite the battery being disconnected.

The following pics may help, although there may be slight variations in buttons

RD3:

RD4:

RD4 (as found in C5 and 407):
    Last edited by SLC206; 14th April 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hello, a festoon bulb is the sort you get in the interior lights. Torpedo shaped with a pointed contact at each end, usually about 5 watts or less. It's nothing special, just easy to put a crocodile clip on each end rather than faffing about with bulb holders and so on.

Tadpole

Thank you one & all

Simon you da man it is the RT4 & a mate of mine knew the previous owner who had the battery replaced & as I have no code & bought the car of that clown I dare to venture he had no code/clue also. Time to get adventurous boys & girls!

Fellow Frogger

It makes little difference here, but I think the last picture is an RD4 as used in most C5 II models. RT3 and later RT4 are the Navidrive versions used in the C6 and better spec C5 with Navigation. The RT3 and RT4 look the same, but the RT4 has a hard drive and connection to the screen differs, one, the TR3 I think, having an optical fibre connection, where the other is cable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diconnecting battery on C5 Citroen-c6_rt3.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by manurewaboy View Post
    Hi guys

Went to start the c5 2005 2.2 hdi auto after letting it sit idle for a few weeks..I turned the key & click nothing, what the!

Found the battery & the terminals were breading all sorts of interesting life forms. .I want to disconnect the terminals & clean them

Consulting my owners handbook says I may need a radio code, which I don't have or a code card for that matter

Found this post on the uk french car forum. Does anyone have first hand experience in this?

I don't understand the following statement "Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal" from the text below, I have no idea what a festoon bulb is, can I use something else.

The car is in the low position if it is sitting idle & you can't start it aye

Is it necessary to follow this procedure to the letter?

C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm
    This is becoming a frequent item so I'm going to bung a reference post here.

Ideally needs to be in a garage and if the battery is at all suspect this should be charged overnight. A defective or discharged battery can cause a lot of headaches and may result it more problems after performing this procedure.

Drop the suspension to low (to prevent the pump running when you refit the battery).
    Open the driver's window and remove the keys, close any doors.
    Wait at least ten minutes, ideally half an hour.

Unclip the battery leads.
    Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal - for a minute or so.
    Short the battery leads together for a minute.

Wait at least half an hour.

Replace the battery and clip the leads on. Do not open the door or otherwise disturb the car.
    Wait at least ten minutes.
    Reach in through the window and put the sidelights on. Wait a few minutes, five to ten ideal.
    Reach in and turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. Wait five minutes.
    Start the engine and let it idle for five minutes.
    Open the door, get in and operate the suspension buttons. Image

If all is well then you will need to retune the radio, reset the time and date, reset autolights and reset window controls.

Thanks in advance for help/advice you may bestow on a mechanically ignorant & challenged tadpole

Regards Geoff
    Best of luck lowering the suspension and windows with a flat battery. Just disconnect the battery, clean the terminals and recharge. It's a waste of time doing all that shorting terminals crap. Complete waste of time. Your main system has already gone into economy mode and with a flat battery or dirty terminals the standby circuit is dead, it doesn't make any difference if the battery is replaced at anytime, charged or not. Think about it.

1000+ Posts

Default C5 !!

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Best of luck lowering the suspension and windows with a flat battery. Just disconnect the battery, clean the terminals and recharge. It's a waste of time doing all that shorting terminals crap. Complete waste of time. Your main system has already gone into economy mode and with a flat battery or dirty terminals the standby circuit is dead, it doesn't make any difference if the battery is replaced at anytime, charged or not. Think about it.
    Hi
    I agree that there is no need for all that palava. I have replaced my battery several times and disconnected it OK.

However i would suggest several points. Make sure the doors are shut, unlocked and the windows are up before starting. This will avoid the computer restarting with an unusual configuration and being confused for a while. You will have to reset the windows as per the book. If there are any unusual "happenings" you can always disconnect it again.
    jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It makes little difference here, but I think the last picture is an RD4 as used in most C5 II models.
    Thanks David. The RD4 in my 207 and DS3 are as the second pic - I wasn't aware that the RD4 in the C5 (third pic) was so heavily redesigned but still called the same thing.

My mistake.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

yo yo hey hey Thx to all esp Simon main worry was something ie radio etc would not work after disconnecting the battery.
    I'm obviously just an old technologically challanged old fart. Good news all went well except the power windwows have gone spastic lol reckon after a few more turns of the ignition key they'll sort them selves out. Oh yeah the info panel reckons its 1 jan 2003 & the car is a 2005 mk II so I may have to read the hand book to reprogram that, how much better is the concept of a 2cv, l15 ds etc

Thread Information