CX Dash Cluster Circuit Board
  • Help

Default CX Dash Cluster Circuit Board

The oil pressure guage in my CX isn't working & my service guy says the whole circuit board needs to be replaced but he can't find a "new" board.

Advertisement

Does anyone know where I might get a replacement board?

Are the boards repairable? Does anyone know who could repair the board in Melbourne?

The only guage that doesn't work is the oil pressure guage but I wouldn't mind getting it working.

Any suggestions?

Herby

Tadpole

an indication of what CX (series 1/2) and what cluster it is (series 1 had Jaeger and Veglia) might help.

I haven't worked on the dash cluster itself, but have seen some pics/info on it, also from someone who took it totally apart. Connections on the back are not very solid. I would say you could just check the connections on and around the gauge yourself. Sometimes proper ground is not good on the cluster.
    Also, you can probably replace just the pressure gauge by itself if that part is broken.

but do you know for sure it is not related to a faulty pressure sensor under the hood ?? fragile part I believe.....
    and then there is the great quality wiring and connections on CXs.......
    just a few thoughts.....

Hi CX thanks for the reply.
    The car is a 1984 CX Gti 2500 manual. I don't have it here, it's at the mechanic's, so not sure which brand the instruments are.
    I'm fairly sure the problem is the cluster board as the mechanis has told me so and he's a very experienced Cit mechanic.
    Heerby

Quote Originally Posted by HERBYJ View Post
    The oil pressure guage in my CX isn't working & my service guy says the whole circuit board needs to be replaced but he can't find a "new" board.

Does anyone know where I might get a replacement board?

Are the boards repairable? Does anyone know who could repair the board in Melbourne?

The only guage that doesn't work is the oil pressure guage but I wouldn't mind getting it working.

Any suggestions?

Herby
    If you can identify the broken tracks it is possible to by pass the breaks by hard wiring with fine insulated single cor wire available from electronic hobby shops. Tandy used to sell the stuff but they are now gone. Perhaps Dick Smith may still sell electronic components.
    This is the approach that I was able to use successfully.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

I do have a new printed circuit, but I think it's only for the 2400 to around 1980. I think you could probably repair what you have either by soldering in a jumper lead and/or looking into products to repair printed circuits. You can certainly buy a small bottle of a copper laden paint-like material to repair a heated window, but you might want to test the resistance across a test strip before assuming it will suit.

Herby, I have a reck, I'll check it today to see if everything is working and let you know. If it is we can discuss removal & collection of the circuit.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Herby,
    A couple of thoughts.
    Im not familiar with the later versions, but are you sure it's a pressure gauge. My 1981 car has an oil level gauge that is only active for a few seconds on start - and then drops back to zero. Mine still works and is 'nearly' accurate.

I have 3 old instrument clusters here (all in poor condition) and they all have different circuit boards. None are the same as my 81 car. These are all Jaeger brand. Boards were also made by Veglia and they are different again. It seems that there are lots of variants.

I have also made a minor repair to a track by soldering a light wire at each end. The copper track is reasonably sturdy and I didn't have a problem with melting the plastic backing. It can be done if you are quick and clean with the soldering. I have also cleaned the exposed ends of the copper. I use an old 'ink' eraser to clean the copper back to a bright shiny finish. You could also use a metal polish like Autosol as long as you take care.

All of my instruments are still working. It just takes a little maintenance to keep the electrical connections clean.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Herby, if you have a later series one car, you will have the same oil level/temp gauge that Rob T and I have. Those printed circuits were notoriously short-lived so finding a good one from a wreck is a lottery. I tried. The good news is that CX Basis now list them, presumably new old stock.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

It is definitely the engine oil pressure gauge.
    Thanks John, I have bought some parts from CX Basis in the past but I couldn't see the printed circuit board on their website. Is it on the website? I know some of the parts aren't on the site and you have to email and enquire.
    Herby

I'll have to work out whether it's a Jaeger or a Veglia board.
    Herby

1000+ Posts

Thanks John, I have bought some parts from CX Basis in the past but I couldn't see the printed circuit board on their website. Is it on the website? I know some of the parts aren't on the site and you have to email and enquire.
    Herby
    Hi, I had the same car until last year;85cxgtimanual,now have an 85cxpallasie. Neither car has an oil pressure gauge but both have a gauge showing oil level;this only shows momentarily when ignition first switched on then drops to zero.If yours has an oil pressure gauge then it is an after market fitting.Andy.

Herby
    I just checked to confirm, Herby, and they are listed under "interior parts". Must be a recent listing because I only saw them for the first time last week. The trick will be ordering the correct one. Good luck.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Hi Herby, I don't think the printed circuit board carries any of the circuit for the oil level gauge. Mine has two black wires connected the the terminals of the gauge, these go to a socket. There is a plug again with black wires that goes to the sensor. From what I have heard this is unreliable, mine has never worked.

Repairing the circuit board is fairly easy if you are OK with a soldering iron, I use the tails from old resistors to bridge the gaps. I have finally got all the dashboard lights working but my circuit board is not a pretty site, plenty of repairs. If I can work out which one to order I will get a new one from CX basis for insurance though
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information