C4 - battery removal query
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 - battery removal query

Hi there,
    My '08 1.6 HDI EGS C4 is having some minor starting issue over the past few days, although it has been starting perfectly the past couple of attempts.
    I'm suspecting perhaps the battery is trying to tell me something, although all lights etc seem bright enough.

As I don't know the age of the battery that's in it. I want to inspect the battery and check for any possible date markings on it, but I'm stumped as to how to get the plastic cover off the battery.
    Am I missing something obvious ?

thanks,
    Glenn

Advertisement

UFO

Read the instruction manual? In the drawer under the passenger seat.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Glenn, I can confirm that the manual contains a relatively poor explanation of removing the battery cover. Amongst the "detailed" instructions you will find gems such as...

Remove the plastic cover for access to the two terminals.
    and...

Refer to a CITROňN dealer for battery replacements.
    The one semi-useful piece of information is a reference to unclipping the fusebox to remove the battery (if necessary). Good luck!
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Not sure how different it is to yours, but check out the exploded view (in post no 2) in the below link to see if it any help

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/fo....0#post_152383

Fellow Frogger!

UFO -geez Craig, I would never have thought of that!!!!

CAM - yes I did find the precise and clear instructions in the handbook & on the C4 website, not exactly helpful.

FIVEDOOR - thanks for the link. I searched the C4 owners website but didn't find that thread. The exploded view somewhat helps. I'll attack it again. It seems to be a common issue according to the rest of that thread. I'd love to know the thinking behind why it has to be so complicated to just check and remove the battery cover and battery.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by gembee View Post
    I'd love to know the thinking behind why it has to be so complicated to just check and remove the battery cover and battery.
    Simple. It may just convince you to think that it's all too hard and it's a far easier proposition to take it back to a dealer!
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by gembee View Post
    UFO -geez Craig, I would never have thought of that!!!!

Glenn
    Glenn, I was mildly taking the p1ss, but you know how many ppl get on AF (or IT forums for that matter) and ask the bleeding obvious having never bothered to RTFM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Once you get the cover off (it will only be clipped in) ... the battery most probably has a date stamped into it's top face. If it's the original, it's overdue for a change as 3-4 years seems to be be about the limit if their normal useful life.

The dealers were required to have a u-beaut battery tester that will tell you where it's up to and properly test it. I'd guess many auto electricians will have something similar and I'm fairly sure the NRMA battery guy used one to test my old battery when I had one replaced last year.

Thread Information