C5 Exlusive Optimal Type Pressure?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 Exlusive Optimal Type Pressure?

Hi all - curious to know what the concensus is on optimal typre pressure for a C5 Exclusive? I' typically over inflate by a small margin to improve petrol economy so I have them at 38 psi.

Any benefits in going lower to 34 - 36 psi?

Advertisement

Car has light load (just the driver, nothing in boot), no trailer and just used to typically to commute on one of Melbourne's glorious new toll ways.

Over inflate tyres and you can end up with wear in the centre of the tyre, kinda negates any savings on fuel
    Can also give a harsher ride

38psi is way too high. Does your car has hydropneumatic suspension? My C6 front wheel tyres is 35psi and back wheel tyres 26psi. It feel very smooth that way. I find the suspension become very rough if i pump up the back wheel tyres higher than 29psi.

Tadpole

"..Does your car has hydropneumatic suspension?.." Yes.

I suspect 38 is too high as well .

35 psi front - ok, but 26 psi back? Wow that seems really low to me (or am I missing something?)

38 psi sounds almost like pushbike tires! I have heard C5s were 36 all around. Haven't checked mine as yet but that does sound very high to me as well.

Fellow Frogger!

Out of interest, what does the tyre placard say? And what tyre size?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    Out of interest, what does the tyre placard say? And what tyre size?
    Go with the placard. Just because a C6 has a lower rear tyre pressure does not mean a C5 should.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Answer is depends...

http://www.puretyre.co.uk/citroen-tyre-pressures/

This should be useful. 36 front/33rear for 215R55/16 tyres

This site looks even better. Unfortunately there is nothing I can find printed on my car. It is blank (on inside driver door pillar). Maybe invisible ink?

Tadpole

Neat link - thanks.

Fellow Frogger

Tyre placards almost always seem to show values for a more comfortable ride at the expense of the handling. Adding a few psi to what's suggested might help a bit.

The C6 has quite different suspension to the 2005 C5 in question here. Some C6's seem to end up with scalloped rear tyres, which you can feel if you run your hand over them. Maybe pumping them up quite a bit is partly showing up the wear in the rear tyres?

Fellow Frogger!

My how the times have changed.
    Back in the days of ID 19s the recommended pressures on 165X400 Michelin X Stop tyres was 24 in the front and 20 in the back. People would stop you in the street and show your your flat tyre, of course back in those days everybody else was using crossply rag tyres.
    My 2006 C5 states 35 PSI on its door sticker for both ends.....drop it down to less and the warning system lights up with a message. At the designated figure they wore beautifully evenly across the tread.
    I had all 4 tyres replaced about two hours ago. The original rear Pilot Primacy tyres were 56 000 Km old. The front pair had lasted about half that. The pressure warning system is now telling me I have a puncture. The tyre dealer says it will go away in time. ( !!! ??? )
    David what do you think ???

UFO

The placard is on the rear edge of the driver's door.

Fritz - last time I had tyres fitted the low pressure warning went away after I had reached 80 km/h or so and the car's computer knew all was OK.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the reply UFO,
    It has disappeared, just as you described. The C5 goes in on Thursday to have hopefully a brake switch replaced ( ?? ) after messages about traction control and stability program indicating faults...and a reminder that the full washer bottle is empty. Hopefully all the spurious messages will be deleted then too.
    It is good to have reassuring news so readily available on line.

Tadpole

Well the door placard specified 35 Front and 32 Rear. I've adjusted the pressures in my tyres to match and as David suggested: "...Tyre placards almost always seem to show values for a more comfortable ride at the expense of the handling..."

So the ride is smoother but there is a tendency to wallow within tight corners.

I suppose (like others) I bought a Citroen to be conveyed in smooth urbane sophisticated luxury and not to take traffic calming chicanes at F1 speeds so I'll leave the PSI as recommended and wave gracefully as I smoothly negotiate the toll ways and freeways of Melbourne without spilling my martini.

Quote Originally Posted by C5V6Kamikaze View Post
    Well the door placard specified 35 Front and 32 Rear. I've adjusted the pressures in my tyres to match and as David suggested: "...Tyre placards almost always seem to show values for a more comfortable ride at the expense of the handling..."

So the ride is smoother but there is a tendency to wallow within tight corners.

I suppose (like others) I bought a Citroen to be conveyed in smooth urbane sophisticated luxury and not to take traffic calming chicanes at F1 speeds so I'll leave the PSI as recommended and wave gracefully as I smoothly negotiate the toll ways and freeways of Melbourne without spilling my martini.
    Alternatively, you could grab a cheap infra red temp sensing gun, and monitor the tyre temps, inside/outside/centre after doing both a long highway stretch and a cornering stretch of road.
    Let the numbers and your bum sensor decide what is the best compromise.
    Whatever pressure you set is going to be a compromise in one way or another as driving conditions and even tyre design change over time.

I'm bemused by some of the comments on this thread that suggest 38psi is "way too high" or that 38psi is pushbike pressure.
    I ran 70-90 psi in my cross trainer bike back when, 75psi in the light truck tyres, and run 42psi in the front of my car now, of course compromising comfort for the sake of cornering performance.

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 9th April 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Fritz - last time I had tyres fitted the low pressure warning went away after I had reached 80 km/h or so and the car's computer knew all was OK.
    Yes, it goes away after a start or two - but I think 80km/h is a perhaps little high.

I figure it needs some kind of speed - the drive from the hoist to the car space wasn't enough and left the last tyre guy concerned on my car, but by the time I drove home (at less than 80km/h) it was back to its happy self.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Simon,
    And so it came to pass that the sensors reset themselves.

Fellow Frogger!

A tyre's inflation pressure is too high when it exceeds the maximum inflation pressure marked on the tyre's sidewall.

As jo was alluding to, different inflation pressures create a different set of characteristics and influence the vehicle's behaviour in different ways. 'Optimal' is dependent on what the user wants from their car.

The manufacturer's recommendations are usually a good base to start from, which most people would find are an acceptable compromise.

Of course, drivers are free to fine-tune these figures to their liking, but I would warn against reducing them lower than what is stated on the placard, as that corresponds with a reduction in load capacity.

For my car, the pressure warning goes away only if i have someone sit in the rear seat while driving around the CBD. Next time i'l try the 80km/hr method to see if it work.

Fellow Frogger

Froglegs, ask your dealer about the 26 psi figure for the C6. Also consult the handbook to see what it shows. The Citroen technical info shows normal pressure as being 2.4 or 2.6 Bar (i.e. 35psi / 38psi) front and rear depending on loading, which is rather more than 26 psi. The tyre placard may even be incorrect, which would explain your warnings.

It's worth remembering that the stem is available separately to the sensor. See the parts diagrams for part numbers for your particular car, but that may save some money as the sensor is rather more expensive than the stem.

On Fritz' C5, the low washer fluid warning will simply be the switch. The float eventually doesn't!

Thanks David for bringing that up. I'l go and look at the manual. The placard suggest 35psi front and 26psi rear.

Tadpole

Door placard in C6 says 32 front 26 rear but then I get alarm for low pressure!

Go with the door card. And please use the proper units. We drive European cars (mostly) and PSI is so old school. The CX Prestige has 2.2 front and rear, the Xantia 2,3F and 2.1R
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Door card +4.

Thread Information