Free BX 19 TRI Wagon
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Free BX 19 TRI Wagon

To anyone who wants a free BX wagon, a friend has decided to part with the family wagon. It has been a daily driver and is still registered to July'13. It's been in the family since new. Mileage is 249,568. Colour white. No RWC. Can forward contact details upon request.

Advertisement

Hate to see the car go to scrap metal.

cheers,
    Mig

Someone save this!

PM sent
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

I've also sent a private message, but we'd love to have it. Andrew
    DS Citroen 21 aka: Andrew and Leanne (plus Phillip and Ciaran).
    A DS 21 (Long Term Project), A BX GT 16v (Leanne's not mine), plus PABLO 0 (The C4 Picasso), A heavily modified Range Rover (towing and heavy duty) and some exotic members of Sir William Lyons' stable!!!.

Tadpole

Apologies for taking awhile to provide an update on the BX wagon. There is quite a lot of interest in the car. I've forwarded the contact details to the first respondent. If that falls through, I'll then provide the details to the second one and so on. Sorry for those that have missed out. Great to see that there is a lot of interest out there in BX's.

Cheers,

Mig

Quote Originally Posted by miguel View Post
    Apologies for taking awhile to provide an update on the BX wagon. There is quite a lot of interest in the car. I've forwarded the contact details to the first respondent. If that falls through, I'll then provide the details to the second one and so on. Sorry for those that have missed out. Great to see that there is a lot of interest out there in BX's.

Cheers,

Mig
    More likely to be the word 'FREE' mate.

And saved it is! Have just driven the car from its old home in Melbourne to its new one on Sydney's Northern Beaches, and what a superb ride it provided. Still some work to be done but this old girl will be given a new lease on life. And my sincere gratitude to James, Miguel,
    Michael and the 2 lovely girls at Beechworth - Lyn and Gamila for their assistance in making the trip up run so much less un- complicatedly .
    Anyone considering a BX - get one.
    Lou

So I bought my BX for $800 have spent nearly $3000 on fairly major work and it's total value is now $0?? There goes my plans of being a financial adviser.
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Quote Originally Posted by twistedeez View Post
    So I bought my BX for $800 have spent nearly $3000 on fairly major work and it's total value is now $0?? There goes my plans of being a financial adviser.
    You're on track to benefitting from good judgement. Perhaps instant depreciation of the $3000 perhaps but if you keep and use the car for a few years it'll be cheap and good value. And so enjoyable and practical. Hope she behaves though.

I daren't work our BX wagon costs out as the mileage we do is small but it repays with its immense practicability and great performance, comfort etc.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

There is an influx of BX's on the Northern Beaches! Lou arrived back in Sydney last night with the white estate that Mig facilitated from Melbourne. I am sure he will get it back to form very soon as it is still a very sound car, just showing its 24 years here and there.

I took on the ACT BX19TRI sedan, also "given free to a good home" (thanks Andrew) on AF. It was broken down by the roadside in Randwick and needing rescue. Like the car Loudel drove back from Melbourne yesterday it is remarkable sound. No rust and very original. Like Twistedeez, the list to get it back to scratch is extensive, and it is a work in progress, but it passed inspection last Friday and is now on NSW plates.

So far the car has needed: 5x spheres, head gasket ( and head refurbishment), timing belt, water pump, tensioner, assorted belts, thermostat, 2x tyres, engine mount and a rear height corrector rebuild. Fortunately I could do all the work myself so it was "parts only", but still a fair investment.

Is it worth it? I sincerely believe so. The car is now hopefully a reliable daily driver and with just 120,000km should have a lot of life left. I love that it is practical, unusual and stylish plus it floats on hydraulic suspension. The BX is indeed a well kept secret and this car is a delight to drive.

I took a pic of it parked alongside a red estate encountered at the local shopping centre, surely an unusual sight?

Michael

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Tadpole

Great to see another BX saved and gone to a good home. Yes, the BX is a great car, having brought back a gti from England in 1990. Classic 80's look. Unfortunately, had "too many cits" around the house and she-that-must-be-obeyed said "enough" (one can never have too many cits) so on-sold it to a mate a few years ago. For a little 1.9 injected, it could do 200kmh. Pretty impressive for 1986 (build year).

Still, there are always other ways to get another cit...bought a Xantia from another mate for $500 for our son early this year. The RWC looked a bit daunting at first (that's what you get when you take it to a citroen mechanic). After going through the list and sorting out the new front rotors/pads, doseur valve seal, 5 new spheres, head lining re-gluing, new tail light lenses, a general engine bay clean, new tyres and new indicator globes, it sailed through the RWC. Also, didn't take it to a citroen mechanic on the second round. All up, $2600 plus rego. No complaints from the fairer half - the young lad is now mobile. Now that the rwc is sorted, I'll get the timing belt and water pump replaced as well as the front strut mounts (with a little further help from French Connection). Xantias are the other best kept secret.

Hey Lou congrats and welcome to the BX club and a estate to boot or is that a non-boot ;-)

Any photo's to show off?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You're on track to benefitting from good judgement. Perhaps instant depreciation of the $3000 perhaps but if you keep and use the car for a few years it'll be cheap and good value. And so enjoyable and practical. Hope she behaves though.

I daren't work our BX wagon costs out as the mileage we do is small but it repays with its immense practicability and great performance, comfort etc.
    It really is a great little car!! This one now has 455300kms on the clock. And at the moment we're a one car family cos the CX wagon is waiting it's blue slip. That means on average 1000kms a week. Any one who says euro cars are no good just doesn't know how to change the oil. Of course there are a few jobs on the to do list but it just keeps powering on. For a little 1.9 four pot it's got plenty of zip to get me in and out of trouble.
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

The "young lad" is also fairly safe. Not a trivial consideration!

Great to see another BX saved and gone to a good home. Yes, the BX is a great car, having brought back a gti from England in 1990. Classic 80's look. Unfortunately, had "too many cits" around the house and she-that-must-be-obeyed said "enough" (one can never have too many cits) so on-sold it to a mate a few years ago. For a little 1.9 injected, it could do 200kmh. Pretty impressive for 1986 (build year).

Still, there are always other ways to get another cit...bought a Xantia from another mate for $500 for our son early this year. The RWC looked a bit daunting at first (that's what you get when you take it to a citroen mechanic). After going through the list and sorting out the new front rotors/pads, doseur valve seal, 5 new spheres, head lining re-gluing, new tail light lenses, a general engine bay clean, new tyres and new indicator globes, it sailed through the RWC. Also, didn't take it to a citroen mechanic on the second round. All up, $2600 plus rego. No complaints from the fairer half - the young lad is now mobile. Now that the rwc is sorted, I'll get the timing belt and water pump replaced as well as the front strut mounts (with a little further help from French Connection). Xantias are the other best kept secret.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

For a little 1.9 injected, it could do 200kmh. Pretty impressive for 1986 (build year).

200kph!!! I could only get to 190. I'll give it another go.
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Quote Originally Posted by twistedeez View Post
    200kph!!! I could only get to 190. I'll give it another go.
    If ya put the wiper on it goes 11 kmh faster :-)
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

I agree

These are the best kept secret in Australia

There are 2 approaches when a cheap BX is acquired:

1) Spend a couple of grand up front and get it sorted once by someone who this forum recommends ...

This is still a cheap alternative and the car will likely be super reliable and pay for itself in no time...

2) Decide that its going to be a no/low cost fixer and do it yourself it you have the skills....

What you dont know you'll learn. They are generally one of the easiest Cits to work on (NOT 16v) and if you'll wily you'll very soon have a turn key option, that even if not perfect will be ultra reliable... usually with a bank of simple initial fixes and checks.

The BX have very strong engines and manual gearboxes.. Drive shafts and brakes are also almost bullet proof...So Basically major mechanicals are not a prob... The suspension and hydraulics are simple, but the return lines need to be all checked and sorted from day one. They can all be repaired very easily one by one.....but best to do an all round check/fix once..

If you have an LHM leak issue,,, top up with ATF fluid until sorted.

I have driven the old GT for the past 3 years and has cost me virtually nothing to run...Aside from a noisy suspension ball joint, I relied on it going the Redcliffe QLD and back (3000KM) ...and never had an issue, nor did I expect there to be one...

I paid $450 for this a few years back which was probably $400 more than it was worth but I had faith in the design and integrity of this model

Sorry I have prattled on ...but get one,SAVE one because, even if nothing else, anything 80's cool is epic now...

Don't buy into the anti hype...buy/acquire a BX with the right attitude and approach and you'll be a convert..
    Last edited by 2bxornot2bx; 1st May 2013 at 12:38 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

As I still own 2 BX's I agree to most of what "2bxornot2bx" said. But why "They are generally one of the easiest Cits to work on (NOT 16v)". The only difference with the 16v is the motor and a few suspension parts; and the engine is not especially prone to failure, provided, like all engines, maintenance is carried out regularly. 240,000 on mine and still goes strong. As for paying $450 for a BXGT, you got a bargain

Agreed Michael, the 16V isn't any harder to work on, you just need help with small hands occasionally.

I think my fleet looks quite interesting! 30 years evolution.

Michael

I have had my 16 valve for 4 years now in that time I ve added a quaife, modified gearbox, stage 1 cam, baffled sump and a chip it is a great car to drive on the road or tearing up a fire trail from time to time. I also have a low km original example that I nearly sold for nothing to the come with nothing brigade glad I didnt it is now garaged.

great cars very reliable glad they are being rescued rather than vertically stacked at the wrecker's
    Dan

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Agreed Michael, the 16V isn't any harder to work on, you just need help with small hands occasionally.
    That's why we have children.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Michael, great to hear from you and very well done. I had a red one with sunroof. Sold to another Michael in Victoria who took sight unseen with some endorsement from the late great Alan Smith.

I got years ago for $1500 which was ridiculously cheap back then and got Bruce E and Tom Dolan to go over. Bruce serviced it and then I got Tom to fix the electric sunroof which was a tough job as it had been glued shut. When fixed, it was amazing and noise free. No leaks and was magical.

The bumpers were painted red like the rest of the car for about $400 and some adjustments and tuning followed. It did leak a small amount of oil, but it was nothing really and I used if as a daily driver for over a year. It had great air cond too.

I loved the BX TRi and then bought SAF199 a silver mint 16V which turned out to be my worst nightmare. Great to look at and nice to drive, but I should not have let the TRi go. It was a far nicer car. Very reliable and soft too. I miss that car!!

Chris M

Hi Chris, shame to hear the 16v was a nightmare, what happened?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Bx16v

Hi Frog,

it was a while ago and I'm not great with technical explanations.

I remember fan switches and the thing running over 100 and smoke pouring out on several occasions, and days before trading it in hell broke loose and looked like head gasket. In fact the day before trading.

A few small things but not major but the heating issues made driving it daily throughout the heat of a Sydney summer impractical.

i traded on a 99 xantia 16 v which was a lovely car, but in the end it too developed a weird problem of a wheel wabble sensation when turning the steering wheel to right or could have been left. Wheels were perfect and aligned and balanced. I hated and sold. Then comes the real monster heap shit, a C5 V6.....yuk!!!!!! I think there is one on eBay for $1500 right now.

Chris M

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Hi Chris, shame to hear the 16v was a nightmare, what happened?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information