Xantia '97 2.0L 16V VSX LHM Leak Under Drivers Seat
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Xantia '97 2.0L 16V VSX LHM Leak Under Drivers Seat

Hi. I am new to this forum as my son has purchased a ī97 Xantia 2.0litre 16V VSX. I've been reading with great interest the various topics on all french cars and thought I'd jump in and get some advice.I've been to French Connection a few times already for a number of parts and they've been of great help and value.

We are currently getting the Xantia ready for roadworthy. Iīve repaced the brake valve (or ®doseur valve®) boot as it was cracked and leaked LHM onto the drivers side footwell. As expected, it was fiddly to say the least. After a few days of driving around since replacing this boot, Iīve noticde LHM leaking from under the floor, driverīs side. Can anyone shed light on what might be the source? Advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Regards,

Mig

Mig

Best guess would be that one of the return lines on the Doseur became cracked when you replaced the unit. These are getting notoriously brittle these days.

Assuming that's the culprit, it would dribble down the firewall below the valve and end up dripping below the driver's seat.

A close examination with a good light and a mirror or two may reveal it.

Good luck

Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Tadpole

Hi Pottsy. Thanks for the tip. I'll have another closer look today. I did replace one of the return lines with brake hose. The other line looked ok. What I didn't do was replace the small seals to the rigid lines as I couldn't source any new ones (used to have a whole lot when I had a CX and D Safari). Might have to remove the doseur valve again and replace seals. Any suggestions as to where I can source some?

Cheers,
    Mig

Hi Miguel,
    I'd be checking the pinion seal as well, right below where the steering shaft joins on. Top side of the rack, drivers side. This seal went on mine recently, ( second time in about 2 1/2 years) and I ended up with the the exact problem you are describing.
    Can be done, not easily, but the seal was only $10.00 from Renseal in Dandenong. It's a high pressure seal.
    Good luck.
    Cheers...George 1/8th
    1996 Xantia VSX.

BTW, that avatar is not my actual Xantia, but it's how it would look if I could get those headlights.

UFO

Mig,

On metal lines, you can usually get away with turning the seal over (end for end) so that the unsquished end takes up the role of providing the seal. Better to fit new ones of course. But many have got away with doing this sort of thing for years.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks for the support and advice. Just got the RWC report this arvo after taking in the Xantia. Only failures were the tyres and indicator globes lost their yellow colour. Leak seems to have been the months of LHM pooling in the floor mat/foam from the doseur valve that has been working it's way out through the floor. Afted a couple of soaked towels, there was no more drip.

Still, good to be aware of these other issues.

Cheers,

Mig

Thread Information