Adkeco's BX 16v GTi
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Adkeco's BX 16v GTi

Default Adkeco's BX 16v GTi

Hello all, my name is Adam from Perth and ive just become the (nervous but excited) owner of a 1991 BX 16v GTi. I have a heap of interior spares that anyone is welcome to free of charge as the car is complete anyway (with the exception of one smoke-coloured rear light as I need one to replace the current drivers side). There is also a full sub frame, front seats and rear bumper if anyone is interested.

Advertisement

I hope to learn a lot about my new addition as this is the first Citroen ive ever owned so im pretty nervous about all of the unique features. Can someone please direct me towards a knowledgeable mechanic that can give the car a good going over? Ive searched on this forum but it seems alot of the information is quite out dated so wanted to know who people are currently using. The name Bob Senn popped up and he doesn't seem that far from me, would he be someone interested in helping that can inspect and perform any work required?

The car's immediate plans are a closed-door 2 pack respray in the same colour, standard wheels retained and a tidy up of the interior.

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-p4060320.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-p4060321.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-p4060322.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-p4060323.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-p4060324.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-p4060325.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-p4060326.jpg

BOB IS AWAY but will be back in a week I could take the spares and throw them on the pile I already have most probably got most of the useless 16v spares in the world
    PM me
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

I would love the a-pillar covers/trims, front seat bases/covers if you have them, and the dashboard if it's uncracked (haha, I know they all are).

If you have any specific queries about it post it up and I'm sure as a community we'll solve them. Can't help you much in the mechanic side in Perth. Can't wait to see some more pictures! Have a look through my project thread in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    I would love the a-pillar covers/trims, front seat bases/covers if you have them, and the dashboard if it's uncracked (haha, I know they all are).

If you have any specific queries about it post it up and I'm sure as a community we'll solve them. Can't help you much in the mechanic side in Perth. Can't wait to see some more pictures! Have a look through my project thread in my signature.
    Hey Frog,

Ofcourse the dash is cracked hehe.. im going to repair mine at some stage (its not too bad).

The complete front seats I can get for you no problems and im not familiar with all the interior parts yet but will check if I have the a-pillar covers in my pile. I left the seats at the sellers place and have agreed to pick them up at a later date so there is no rush.

Cheers! Will do

Let the problems begin...

Firstly, the low coolant light came on at cold start this morning and remained until the temp gauge was exactly half (then went off). I checked the coolant and couldn't see any in the overflow filler tank so I unscrewed the air bleed screw and filled with coolant until it came out and tightened back up. Still concerned as to why the coolant was low Started car again and no light now.. but for how long??

Annoyances overall.. clutch cable is sticky, as is the accelerator pedal slightly. Speedo is jumpy and the car has a very slight shudder when initially accelerating. Doesn't seem to matter what gear but goes away after 2 grand or so..? Is this common? Car also shudders mildy when braking.. not sure if these things are common issues but wanted to throw them out there..

I cant believe how rattly and clunky everything sounds in the interior. No idea on how to stop all of these rattles or where to start..

The GOOD news is there is no leaks on the driveway after a few short trips and an overnight sit lol

Unbelieavable! So ive rung around today to get the timing belt changed seeing as people say this is very important to have done regularly and if you dont know when it was last done, get it done yesterday.. long story short everyone ive rung doesnt want to touch it?

Have rung Bob Senn first but he didnt answer so I called the next contact, Corrado said nope dont want to touch it and dont touch BXs anymore. German Auto Services in Jandakot (where we take our BMW) said nope, dont want to touch it. Can anyone suggest anywhere else???

Ive got the workshop manual on how to change step by step and it doesnt seem that hard but I would have preferred a professional do it rather than myself. I have rung one place (Len Hughes in Vic Park) who said they might be able to do it considering its an older car (shouldnt be too hard and doesnt look it from the instructions) but will have to quote and call me back.

Ive never been knocked back from any mechanic when ive requested work done, quite a bizarre experience!

see pm adam
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

If anyone is interested, i'm halfway through a 2K respray on the 16v. Same colour - EWT. Here are a couple of photos so far.

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa260064.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa260066.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa270083.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa270084.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa270086.jpg

And some new wheels. Compomotive MOs 15x6 ET15

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-img-20130826-00612.jpg

Tadpole

Hi this is Bob Senn sorry if I missed your phone message I am willing to help with your 16 valve
    My Email is senn@iinet.net.au or 0411492640.
    Thanks Bob.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by adkeco View Post
    Hello all, my name is Adam from Perth and ive just become the (nervous but excited) owner of a 1991 BX 16v GTi. I have a heap of interior spares that anyone is welcome to free of charge as the car is complete anyway (with the exception of one smoke-coloured rear light as I need one to replace the current drivers side). There is also a full sub frame, front seats and rear bumper if anyone is interested.

I hope to learn a lot about my new addition as this is the first Citroen ive ever owned so im pretty nervous about all of the unique features. Can someone please direct me towards a knowledgeable mechanic that can give the car a good going over? Ive searched on this forum but it seems alot of the information is quite out dated so wanted to know who people are currently using. The name Bob Senn popped up and he doesn't seem that far from me, would he be someone interested in helping that can inspect and perform any work required?

The car's immediate plans are a closed-door 2 pack respray in the same colour, standard wheels retained and a tidy up of the interior.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4060320.jpg 
Views:	870 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	41527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4060321.jpg 
Views:	1892 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	41528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4060322.jpg 
Views:	909 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	41529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4060323.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	41530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4060324.jpg 
Views:	1109 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	41531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4060325.jpg 
Views:	1160 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	41532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4060326.jpg 
Views:	3823 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	41533
    Hi, fellow BX16v owner, I have had 3 BX's so far, and have just rebuilt my 16v engine and it started first go The timing belt is not that hard to do. I followed the XU9J4 rebuild manual. As for the parts you are getting rid of: can I make a suggesting from experience? Keep the rear bumper - can be hard to get another when the idiot runs up the rear of your car. Keep any electric mirrors; they can and do fail. Any power steering parts on the subframe, along with the metal piping keep - they will come in handy. If you have access to a spare body remove the heater pipe fitting/valve that goes through the firewall. These are no longer available new and are known to fail.
    Have fun with the valver, I have a lot of enjoyment out of mine - and a little frustration
    Michael
    C5
    BX Estate
    BX16v
    Last edited by michael16v; 8th November 2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo

Gday Bob, you did help me with all my issues already That last post was from way back in April. I will catch up with you soon though when she is painted and back on the road. Cheers, Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Senn View Post
    Hi this is Bob Senn sorry if I missed your phone message I am willing to help with your 16 valve
    My Email is senn@iinet.net.au or 0411492640.
    Thanks Bob.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Looks great so far, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Love is a BX and a BX is errrr um.

CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

Apologies for the phone pics, but here is the body resprayed in the factory EWT (Protec 2K solid). The body has also been colour sanded with 1500 wet and dry. I did the bonnet with 2000 afterwards. I haven't yet buffed or polished any of it, but was surprised how shiny the bonnet was after the 2000!

The front guards and bumpers are still being massaged as they were in average shape. I also need to respray the matte black around the door frames and rear hatch. Getting there.

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-img-20131217-00036.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-img-20131217-00037.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-img-20131217-00038.jpg

Looks lovely! I really need to respray the black one.

Cheers

As much as I love love love black cars (we have a black 100 series Sahara), id be probably too scared to respray black myself.
    frog likes this.

Slowly getting put back together..

Still need to do flat black door surrounds, door handles, front grill, wiper arms and rear hatch insert. Hopefully there is enough light and not too windy after work this eve.

All buffed and ALMOST ready to go

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-img-20131229-00106.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-img-20140104-00123.jpg
    frog likes this.

Looking so good i can almost touch it
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Compo MOs on!!! Went for her first drive in 4 months!!! Few very small things to do still but she is back on the road, like a 16V should be!!!

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-img-20140113-00139.jpg
    frog likes this.

Compo MOs on!!! Went for her first drive in 4 months!!! Few very small things to do still but she is back on the road, like a 16V should be!!!

Name:	IMG-20140113-00139.jpg 
Views:	1069 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	51835

Nice one mate
    Dan

Default Adkeco's BX 16v GTi

Name:	IMG-20140113-00139.jpg 
Views:	1069 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	51835
    impressive and with such little fuss. suggest that you put up some photos on the restoration thread as there will be quite a few people interested in the make over.

excellent work !!

How was the drive? i can only imagine your grin
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Not a whole lot really to show. Basically stripped her back and did a closed door respray. Poor man's respray. Found some interesting repair jobs done to her in the past. That back quarter it looked like someone used oil based house paint!! No kidding!

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa260064.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa260067.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa270085.jpgAdkeco's BX 16v GTi-pa270086.jpg

Then a final pic taken today after a clean and wax.

Adkeco's BX 16v GTi-p11409451.jpg
    frog and FedGrapes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    How was the drive? i can only imagine your grin
    Haha yes it was super fun!

I just drove up to see Bob in Kalamunda to get an oil filter from him as I haven't changed the oil since I got it. She ran pretty good. First proper run in 4-5 months. It's super hot here at the moment in Perth but im still a bit concerned about the coolant and oil temps. In peak hour traffic of stop/start she was sitting on about 92 degrees coolant and almost 100 degrees oil temp. Is that normal??!!?

On the highway at 120km/h she was purring and smooth. When moving she goes back down to perhaps half way on both gauges but man, if you stop for 3 mins or drive slow, she rises in temp pretty quick. Any idea on what this might be? Air in the cooling system? The temp fluctuates quite a bit between mid to just over 90. Should I be concerned?
    FedGrapes likes this.

Looking good! Nice to have some more 16v's on the road in Perth!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information