DecidedlySpecial road trip Van Diemen's Land
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: DecidedlySpecial road trip Van Diemen's Land

mnm

Default DecidedlySpecial road trip Van Diemen's Land

Greetings all and Happy Easter

Mum and I are heading off tomorrow in the DecidelySpecial for our annual road trip. Traditionally this is a bike trip (Mum pillions on the back of my brother's bike), but this year he's touring Europe so we're heading south to Tassy for a nostaligia trip in the Citroen. Last time we were there was on a family holiday in the mid seventies.

So, stay tuned... pics to follow.

Matthew

Advertisement

Welcome to Tasie Matthew. Dont forget the north east and St Helens. Try not to rush. Hope you enjoy. The weather map looks to be in your favour.

Allan

mnm

We'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee offff to see the wizaaaaaaaaaarddd... the wonderful wizard of ooozzzzzzzzzzzzz... lalalalalalalala

Heading out with Mum's gorgeous autumn leaves to send us on our way...

Matthew

and a maple right back at you.

mnm

Greetings..

We stopped by Ned Kelly territory on the way south..

Waiting to board the boat... when you travel with your mother you want time to spare...

Arriving at Devonport at the crack of sparrows we headed to Cradle Mountain. A place we visited on our family holiday in 1976... car access to the lake is restricted these days so I wasn't sure if we would be able to drive all the way in. I wanted a pic of the car by the lake. Clearly arriving early has its advantages as we were able to drive to the lake and park front and centre for these shots... could not have asked for a more perfect day...

More to come...

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 4th April 2013 at 09:25 PM.

JBN

Which was the better floating experience> The Spirit of Tasmania or the DS? Or didn't you notice the difference?

John

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Matthew thanks for sharing your journey! The Cradle Mountain shots are superb, particularly the one with the reflections.

mnm

More happy snaps... a good run today from Stanley to Queenstown via the Western Explorers Rd.. wouldn't be a Mason family holiday without a dirt road or two!

The Nut..remnants of a volcanic lava lake, Stanley

The Edge of the World..Arthur River...looking west the next coastline is Argentina!

Western Explorers Rd..

Barge crossing Pieman River, Corinna

Zeehan..

Henty Dunes north of Strahan..well, the picnic area... as kids we were sent to the top and told to run and jump back down for a photo... I spared Mum the exertion this time..

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 5th April 2013 at 09:55 PM.

mnm

Hello all... today's snaps are for all you train buffs out there.. the DecidedlySpecial had a rest day today. This is the West Coast Wilderness Railway..a rack and pinion train (the first use of the new system in Australia) closed in 1963 and reopened in 2002 after a 30 million dollar renovation. We picked up the train in Queenstown and ended the journey in Strahan. Multiple stops on the way, commentary, lunch and of course the views. Once again the weather was insanely perfect..

Matthew

Fantastic shots & looks like a great trip! The scenery is stunning- I'll have to get down there some day in Celia!

Enjoy & keep the photos coming!

Lovely images there Matthew, well composed, sharp as a tack. Ahh, the modern digital world.

Tassie is a great place to live as well as be a tourist. Enjoy yourselves.

Digital or not, you take some great photos - all about framing and composition.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

I understand that the railway is threatened with closure.
    There's a FB page about it.

Hi Matthew,

I'm enjoying your postcards. It's almost like being there. I spent nearly a decade in Tasmania so there are some locations I am fond of and familiar with. Great to see a man going on a road trip with both his old girls too. It's a nice way to have some quality time with them.
    Where is that Explorers road. It looks very picturesque. I am thinking of organising a tour there for any interested citroen owners, SM or otherwise, so that looks like just the sort of road I have in mind.
    Did the train trip include the funny roving guy adding commentary. He was pretty amusing though not in a funny way and did get on my nerves after about 1 minute. Great scenery and a pretty amazing journey however.
    Anyway look forward to some photos from the east coast including Tasman Peninsula.
    cheers Tony

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Hi Matthew,

Where is that Explorers road. It looks very picturesque. I am thinking of organising a tour there for any interested citroen owners, SM or otherwise, so that looks like just the sort of road I have in mind.
    cheers Tony
    Hi Tony

the Western Explorers Rd is on the west coast. After seeing "The Ends of the Earth" at Arthur River.. we headed south to Couta Rocks, then east to join C249 heading south to Corinna. It winds along the Arthur Pieman Conservation area... great scenery, always changing. It is however a dirt road..compacted but generally good. I hate dirt roads but it was worth it rather than heading down the highway again.

Matthew

Really great to meet you and your Mum, Matthew and hear about your travels. Hope you enjoy the last few days of your trip. Cheers, Nigel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DecidedlySpecial  road trip Van Diemen's Land-photo.jpg   DecidedlySpecial  road trip Van Diemen's Land-photo1.jpg  

mnm

Ok peeps..playing catch up here as haven't had internet access last couple of days...

So we leave Queenstown and head west.. great drive. Stop in at Nelson's Falls, Lake St Claire for lunch and down to Hobart where we enjoyed the hoptality of Richo and his wife Jacki for a couple of days..

When we visited Queenstown in 76 the hills were barren..

Now that's what I call a hedge!

Next day we head toward Strathgordon... take in Russell Falls, Land of the Giants..

Now why does one visit Tasmania??? To hug a tree of course!! Can't say we bonded though.. a fury, damp experience..

My late father's name was Ted, so it seemed fitting to have lunch at Ted's Beach on Lake Pedder..

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 9th April 2013 at 09:57 PM.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by ntr1972 View Post
    Really great to meet you and your Mum, Matthew and hear about your travels. Hope you enjoy the last few days of your trip. Cheers, Nigel.
    Thanks Nigel,

a pleasure to meet you and put a face to a name. I can recommend the coffee..

Matthew

Its not Lake Pedder. Lake Pedder is long gone...

mnm

So... today we head north via Richmond.. lovely little village..

..cross to the east coast road to Triabunna and north past the Spiky Bridge..

Then we stop at Kate's Berry Farm for ice cream and berry pie... The DecidedlySpecial isn't the only one that needs fuel..

Then up to St Helens to The Bay of Fires...

Heading back to Devonport tomorrow for the ride back ..

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 9th April 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Safe journey home Matthew and Ada, Jacki and I were thrilled to have the pleasure of your company and the opportunity to share some time and friendship.

Fellow Frogger

Now that's a great trip with some excellent photos that would look good on a real cardboard postcard of postal quality ...
    http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/postcards-app.html
    There should be a ritual re-enactment to retrace your steps ...

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi Tony

the Western Explorers Rd is on the west coast. After seeing "The Ends of the Earth" at Arthur River.. we headed south to Couta Rocks, then east to join C249 heading south to Corinna. It winds along the Arthur Pieman Conservation area... great scenery, always changing. It is however a dirt road..compacted but generally good. I hate dirt roads but it was worth it rather than heading down the highway again.

Matthew
    Matthew. Full marks to you & Mum for exploring the Apple Isle properly. So many people reckon they've seen it all by driving from Launceston to Hobart, and sometimes being really adventurous and going to Queenstown.

We (me & Mrs P) have done a number of trips to Tassie, usually with a couple of friends. The first time we went over there together we did all the stuff up in the top right hand corner. (Making Targa type brrm brrm noises all the while).

Last time we were there we did the Western Explorer Rd (after a few days R&R in Stanley) and loved every metre of it. Each trip has been made in a pair of Minis, my Deluxe and Crawf's supercharged Cooper S. We even fitted both cars side by side on the Fat Man ferry at Corinna!

The Dee is fine for comfort, and my Mum wouldn't travel happily in the Mini, (even assuming she could get in and out of it, she's 91). But for sheer exuberant fun, you can't beat a Mini around Tassie.

But I can't understand how you can drive a DS and hate dirt roads! Moby Dick really comes alive when the bitumen runs out.

Some magnificent photos, and memories for both of you to cherish for ever. Full marks and good upon yer! (And thanks for sharing)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Matthew. Full marks to you & Mum for exploring the Apple Isle properly. So many people reckon they've seen it all by driving from Launceston to Hobart, and sometimes being really adventurous and going to Queenstown. We (me & Mrs P) have done a number of trips to Tassie, usually with a couple of friends. The first time we went over there together we did all the stuff up in the top right hand corner. (Making Targa type brrm brrm noises all the while). Last time we were there we did the Western Explorer Rd (after a few days R&R in Stanley) and loved every metre of it. Each trip has been made in a pair of Minis, my Deluxe and Crawf's supercharged Cooper S. We even fitted both cars side by side on the Fat Man ferry at Corinna! The Dee is fine for comfort, and my Mum wouldn't travel happily in the Mini, (even assuming she could get in and out of it, she's 91). But for sheer exuberant fun, you can't beat a Mini around Tassie. But I can't understand how you can drive a DS and hate dirt roads! Moby Dick really comes alive when the bitumen runs out. Some magnificent photos, and memories for both of you to cherish for ever. Full marks and good upon yer! (And thanks for sharing) Cheers, Pottsy
    Thanks Pottsy we have enjoyed the trip immensley... lots of memories and new things to see. The DecidedlySpecial ate up the dirt roads... I was quite impressed... so I get what you say about them coming alive. I just hope I haven't killed it! We will definately be returning... so much more to see and do...probably on the bikes next time though... great place for bike touring.

Matthew

Aaaaahhhhhh the good son! Wow, what a great thing to do, for both of you. Makes me think how much my mum would have enjoyed a trip like that! Long distance car travel as a family is a distant memory. Except for the one of my mum leaning over the front seat of the Safai ( Valliant Safari ) belting me with the back of a Mason Pearson hairbrush! She didn't know giving kids sweets in the car on a long trip was a bad idea, it was the 70's! Great shots Matthew, you and David Walsh have done more than the Tassie Tourism has ever managed to do.

MB

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information