H Van compensation valve rear brakes
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default H Van compensation valve rear brakes

Hi everyone
    Some advice please,the compensation valve on my H Van rear brake line is shot.I have been told that the valve is not really needed under normal conditions and because of the unavailability and expense they are being removed and not being replaced when faulty. The body of the valve has a crack and being part of the braking system I do not feel comfortable welding or brazing it.
    Thanks.

Advertisement

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

ubuntu 12.04

alwyn,
    We didn't have the H van released here in Australia, very few of us have even seen one. Perhaps a UK or European forum can assist.
    Given it is a braking system part, despite the expense replace it. Sometimes these old vehicles require expensive replacement parts, the fun of ownership and all that.
    It's doubtful Citroen decided to have a compensating valve so that it could be discarded when old.

Which van do you have? I have a valve here from an HZ that may be servicable.
    The early vans did not have the valve and the braking depends a lot on rear loading.
    I wouldn't like to explain to an accident investigation unit why I was driving without a part in the circuit deemed necessary by the manufacturer.

Tadpole

Thanks for the response, My van is the last with the round rear wheel arches( changed in 1969) , has aN I.D motor with a single windscreen. So the van should be between 1966 - 1969. There is only a spares number in the spares catalogues so the shouls all be the same.
    Thanks again.

Hello, have you tried the H van guru in the UK?

http://www.hvanworld.co.uk/index.htm

Tadpole

Hello , Yes GURU man says I need the valve or life can become very exiting in a bad way if I use the brakes so I need to find a valve.

Tadpole

Thanks Gerry, it should work what do you want for it ?

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Glad to see another fellow South African on Aussiefrogs!!

Welcome

Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

One of my fellow members of the original H Van Club - "Les Amis du Type H" spotted a tired H camper van between us and Spain which he felt was worth saving. I bought it and had it delivered home. Unfortunately the body was too far rusted to consider restauration. However most of the mechanicals and suspension are quite redeemable. The base vehicle was a 1970 HZ with the 1911 cc petrol engine, the later gearbox and the square rear mudguards.
    Here are some photos of the wreck.
    http://www.globalfreed.net/hz2/
    Here is a photo of the rear brake valve, which I can send you as is or remove the cylinder itself, clean it up and send it. It will need a new seal without a doubt.
    http://www.globalfreed.net/brakevalve.JPG
    The main purpose of our Club is to preserve the heritage of the H van and to keep as many of them on the road as possible. All I would ask of you is the postage from France to SA and advice as to how to pack and document it so that it smoothly passes the customs and other checks.

Our web site is at
    http://www.lesamisdutypeh.fr

most of our members are French but the advice and help available on things H transcends the language barrier.
    H'amicalement

Tadpole

Thanks for that. It is good that there are people like you and your fellow club members who try to keep as many of these old Vans on the road otherwise like all good things they start to dissapear and before you know it there is nothing left but old magazines and books to look at. I am happy to pay any postage involved exactly how much it would be Iam not sure of but the last spare I bought from France it was sent via post ( international zone 2 which is Africa and America)and it was 23 or 24 Euro,it was for items under 2KG and by using this method the parcel could be tracked. I have paid less for other items sent but I would prefer to play it safe.
    As far as forms go I think when the post is registerd the value is declared and I will pay customs on my side according to the value of the spares which is always a bit higher for imported motor spares.But the customs is my problem.
    As far as payment goes for the postage give me your banking details or I can pay via paypal on a e-mail if you have an account as soon as I have your details I will pay even if I have to make arrangements via my sister who has moved to Holland with her family.I will be visiting them in June with my wife and daughter and will also be traveling to Paris wtih them for a week.
    Sorry went off in another direction there for a moment.
    I would like to have as is on the photo but it might be a bit large so maybe it will be best if you remove the valve. The brakes were locking up I noticed that I do not have all the pieces maybe I should just go and scratch around.
    But thank you very much if there is anything specific I need to try and do from my side let me know, the customs thing should not affect you thats my problem.
    Till later.

The spring tensions are important so I think that the best solution is that I dismantle it and send all the pieces except the back plate and the pipes. I will send payment details via pm.
    bonnes routes

Tadpole

Thanks for the good news. Just one more thing if I am not to late. On your club site boutique there is a copy of the Citropolos repair book on the van I have seen one before and even though it is in French it has so much information. Please if it possible can you one in the parcel and the payment can be done with the postal payment. If not possible it is not a problem.
    Cheers

Tomorrow I will dismantle and clean the parts. The post office no longer accepts non standard packing so I will use one of their international boxes which makes it easy to determine the price.
    I am remote from the Club shop so I cannot access the book easily which I think is out of stock anyway.
    I have a mých used copy of the factory manuals for the H,HY and HZ to which you are welcome, as I have recently acquired a genuine factory manual of the period. It is about 1kg!

More tomorrow

Tadpole

Hi, thanks no problem.Thanks for the offer of the manual I have a Dutch copy on CD which works okay for me , not the same as a physical manual but usable seeing it is basically the same thing I am sure that there is someone closer to you who will need a manual some time.
    Until later,

OK, just been down to the post office. They won't give me a price until they have seen the parcel. So, send me an email
    to gerry@globalfreed.net with your address and I will try again. Does your Dutch CD have the page on the brake valve? I can photocopy mine if not.

I have just removed all the parts not welded from the back plate and all are reusable, perhaps even the cotter pins that I have included for size. Before wasting our time, I opened the valve to check that it was not corroded beyond recovery. The inside is fine and needs just lubricating with brake fluid and the alloy piston with grease. You will need a new rear seal though, they don't like going back through the threaded portion.
    There is no diagram on the internals of these valves so just in case you haven't assembled one before, here is what you do...
    At the actuator end there is an alloy piston with a flat head on which the actuating lever operates. The piston pulls out easily now I have cleaned it. The valve itself is a simple spool with a rubber washer seal and a lightly riveted end cap to hold the washer in place. To remove, undo the lower mounting bolt which is double ended and is the access to the valve. It has a copper washer for its seal and if you replace it, match the thickness, because that is part of the valve geometry. You can then push the valve out via the lower end using a a 3-4mm rod inserted from the top. Change the seal, peen over the end washer, put some brake fluid on the valve and it can be re-assembled from the bottom and closed with the mounting bolt. Then slide the actuator piston on from the other end having greased it, put the rubber cover on and it is ready for re-fitting on the backing plate and calibration.
    That is done as per operation H78.456-1 for which you need an oil pressure gauge and adaptor as used on the DS hydraulic test benches.

Just good workshop practice and it will be fine.

Tadpole

Thanks Gerry , I checked the manual it has the section on the valve but your instuctions are very clear and detailed.

My manual has two pages on the fitting and removing the valve assembly but nothing on the valve itself. If you have something on the Lockheed cylinder, I would welcome a copy.
    I am waiting on your mail address to send the parcel.

Tadpole

I sent my address to your e-mail , I noticed I am recieving e-mails but my mails are not being sent will have to sort it.
    Address as follows.

A Bezuidenhout
    P.O Box 906
    Volksrust
    South Africa

The repair manual I have is the Repair manual HY No 535 , nothing on the cylinder it self , only replacement . The manual is in PDF format so if my e-mail is up and going I should be able to send it.
    ^
    ^

Don't worry, I have 505 which precedes the installation of the valve and 535 but it is silent on the subject of the valve cylinder itself. It is a Lockheed product and seems to be made in inches like some of the other brake components. It makes sourcing seals easier in anglophone countries.
    Will send tomorrow and advise my Pay Pal account details. To do that I have to have your email address.

Tadpole

My e-mail address is altin@telkomsa.net I should be able to find seal.

Tadpole

Hi,the limiter arrived in the post will up date you.
    alwyn

Thread Information