1970 DS Rear Trim
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1970 DS Rear Trim

Default 1970 DS Rear Trim

Hello All.

I've been a lurker for a while as I only recently purchased my car about 6 months ago. But I am now starting to try and fix up a few things that need doing and so had a couple of questions for the group.

Advertisement

The rear trim around the C pillars and above the rear screen keep falling down/off so I'm looking to get this fixed up properly.

I also noticed there is wiring taped to both C pillars that is not connected to anything. Are there supposed to be lights around the C pillar? My car is not a pallas model, and looking around a few of the books I have I've seen pictures of lights in this position in earlier pallas models, but am not sure if I should have any there for a 1970 non pallas.

Also, are there any tricks to keeping that trim in place?

Thanks for any help!
    Bryce

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Hi Bryce,

You won't get a lot of replies this week-end as they're all gone to the CIT-IN meeting down south . But hang in there and I am sure you will get help in a few days.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

Quote Originally Posted by brycedunn View Post
    Hello All.

I've been a lurker for a while as I only recently purchased my car about 6 months ago. But I am now starting to try and fix up a few things that need doing and so had a couple of questions for the group.

The rear trim around the C pillars and above the rear screen keep falling down/off so I'm looking to get this fixed up properly.

I also noticed there is wiring taped to both C pillars that is not connected to anything. Are there supposed to be lights around the C pillar? My car is not a pallas model, and looking around a few of the books I have I've seen pictures of lights in this position in earlier pallas models, but am not sure if I should have any there for a 1970 non pallas.

Also, are there any tricks to keeping that trim in place?

Thanks for any help!
    Bryce
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Hi Bryce,

You won't get a lot of replies this week-end as they're all gone to the CIT-IN meeting down south . But hang in there and I am sure you will get help in a few days.
    I'm here

Bryce,
    Most non Pallas cars don't have interior lights in the rear, (maybe the D Super 5 would have?) you should have a three piece rear trim - two C-Pillars trims and a rear hoop.

The C-pillar trim has a metal tab toward the top of the front edge, this simply slips in behind the grey window trim. You should also have a fixing screw in the middle at the bottom.

The rear hoop is fixed at the top using z clips, these attach to the trim and then are slid onto the metal hoop, the bottom slips under the rear screen rubber.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

The wiring may be for the heated window. If the soldered tabs have come away from the glass or the glass been changed to one without a heating element the wires could be hanging loose.

Fellow Frogger!

The DS19 & DS21 models [ non Pallas ] cars had thin lights sandwiched between the C pillar & rear window trim. I don't know when that was introduced or finished. They also had unique B pillar lights, a long translucent , semi tubular bar that was lit from the top infusing indirect light. I am not sure but I think the C pillar lights operated when the rear doors were opened, the B pillar with the front doors, & all lit up with the interior light switch.
    It is possible there were variations of these between these two models according to year & I am sure others here will know more & have pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    The DS19 & DS21 models [ non Pallas ] cars had thin lights sandwiched between the C pillar & rear window trim. I don't know when that was introduced or finished. They also had unique B pillar lights, a long translucent , semi tubular bar that was lit from the top infusing indirect light. I am not sure but I think the C pillar lights operated when the rear doors were opened, the B pillar with the front doors, & all lit up with the interior light switch.
    It is possible there were variations of these between these two models according to year & I am sure others here will know more & have pictures.
    Nuancierds covers it quite nicely Shows the gorgeous B pillar strip lights on the early cars.
    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...0interieur.htm

As Bryce's car is a non Pallas 1970 model this should be what he has for interior lighting - same as my '74 Special.

<snip>All IDs (1969-1975) (ID19B, DSuper, Dsuper5, ID20, Dspecial)

The interior lighting on pillar is the same as a comfort DS, and now there is one on each side.
    On the other hand, there still no lights in the rear corners.
    </snip>

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Welcome Bryce.
    I believe in your profile you describe your car as being a 1970 DS21 BVH.

In which case, it could have (had) a heated rear window, so two wires there. The parts manual does not specify models and rear window types.
    It should have a pair of the C pillar lamps as described by citroenut, either side of the C pillar trim where the rear hoop joins them.
    The B pillar lamps should be as GreenBlood has described.
    A beautiful illustration is on page 481 of the parts manual.

I have a pair of the lamps fitted to my 1966 model. Delicate would be a good way to describe them Rather tinny reflectors and beautiful mussel shaped plastic lens. If they are missing, they were fitted for a few years, you might be fortunate to source some. Mine came from the UK.

The lamps were operated via the front door switches (there were never rear door switches fitted) or via the interior lamp switch selected from the dashboard.

Hope this helps.

richo
    Last edited by richo; 30th March 2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: clarity

Hi All,

Thanks very much for such good replies.

The picture greenblood posted is exactly the b-pillar light I have. I also have a heated rear window that connects on the passengers side of the car. This is currently disconnected. There is separate wiring for the lights that Richo & citronut are mentioning, and this is what I saw in a picture in the Original Citroen DS book. Looks like I need to keep an eye out on ebay etc for a set of those.

Looks like I only have one clip on the long trim above the rear window, and no screws on the c-pillar trim. No wonder it is all falling off. Any suggestions where I can get the Z clips that GreenBlood mentioned?

Thanks!

Bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Fellow Frogger

Someone may find some used ones for you. I thought I'd salvaged some from a D Special trim section last year, but I'm not sure where they are now.

Something carried by Bresco in the UK would surely suit. I found them efficient to deal with recently when I wanted some trim clips. (and couldn't be bothered getting out of my chair!) They arrived inside a week. See www.bresco.com
    Look towards the bottom of this page and you may find something to suit, called 'S' clips there.
    http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Fasteners.html
    Last edited by David S; 31st March 2013 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks David,
    Those S Clips look the same as what is on the car. I should be able to compare tomorrow the exact one and then order a couple.

Thanks,
    bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

G'day Bryce,
    1970 DS21 BVH, pretty rare car, would you consider posting a pic of it?

Redards
    Michael

Hi Michael,

I've attached a photo of the car. Its pretty good mechanically and pretty rust free, but needs a bit of cosmetic work.

Bryce

1970 DS Rear Trim-citroen-ds21-05.jpg
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

Did that car come from QLD originally...?
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

It did indeed!
    I drove it back in September of last year. Jason Hantos helped me sort out a few minor reliability issues and now am trying to to tidy the car up a bit.

Bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

It did indeed!
    I drove it back in September of last year. Jason Hantos helped me sort out a few minor reliability issues and now am trying to to tidy the car up a bit.

Bryce
    I thought it might've been Rod Carter's! Congratulations on your fine purchase.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    I thought it might've been Rod Carter's! Congratulations on your fine purchase.
    Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it overall.
    Bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

Are you or have you considered becoming a member of the CCC ?
    There is always plenty of good help and advice at club events technical days and meetings.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Are you or have you considered becoming a member of the CCC ?
    There is always plenty of good help and advice at club events technical days and meetings.
    I am a club member, but unfortunately have only been able to make two club meetings/events since I joined due to various commitments! Hopefully I will get to more in the future.

Bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

I am a club member, but unfortunately have only been able to make two club meetings/events since I joined due to various commitments! Hopefully I will get to more in the future.

Bryce
    Oh cool! Well lets hope we see you (and your car) soon!
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Oh cool! Well lets hope we see you (and your car) soon!
    Would be good. I had planned to come to the meeting at the shannons auction, but I now need to go to Brisbane for work.

I'm currently installing the retrosound model 2 radio in the car as the old radio was not working correctly. (www.retrosoundusa.com). Maybe that will be done when I am able to bring the car to an event..

Bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

Would be good. I had planned to come to the meeting at the shannons auction, but I now need to go to Brisbane for work.

I'm currently installing the retrosound model 2 radio in the car as the old radio was not working correctly. (www.retrosoundusa.com). Maybe that will be done when I am able to bring the car to an event..

Bryce
    I'll be following your installation and appraisal of the Retrosound Model 2 with interest. It is the unit I will eventually install (once I have funds available). I've not seen anything that really stacks up against this unit, all the bells and whistles in a retro package. Did you purchase out of the US or through our Australian agent?

Are you fitting yours into the centre console in the dash (where original radios were fitted)? I'm in the process of running wiring and aerial up to that position which is pretty straight forward with the dash out but could be a fun exercise with the dash in situ.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I purchased the model 2 from crutchfield.com and used myus.com to get it here. I have a model 1 in another car and have been on the whole very happy with it.

I am planning to mount it where the original radios were mounted. This means a fairly complex install

So far I have the antenna wire, bluetooth mic wire, and the rear speaker wires to the location. (as well as new roof mounted antenna mounted) Am tiding up the holes cut in the real parcel shelf (likely in the late 70s early 80s by the age of the speakers and radio removed). Currently half way through putting connectors on the Model 2 power/acc/earth harness to install that, then will look at the front speakers. I went with 2x3.5" speakers but they are slightly too large for the opening so will look to see if I can mount them from below with some kind of adaptor. Worst case i'll put them in my mercedes 450SLC (Daily driver) and get something else for this spot. I've also removed the 'front' of the ashtray and plan to mount that in some way so it flips open and behind it will be the USB sockets. Not sure how I will do this yet though

Will take some pictures and post when I get a chance.

Bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

Fellow Frogger

Before buying a radio unit from OS, check the unit you are buying has the FM band in our local range. The RetroSOund CS900C unit has a 87.5-107.9 range, so it would be be OK here, but some other countries use a different band and some units might be set up for them..

Icon12

I purchased the model 2 from crutchfield.com and used myus.com to get it here. I have a model 1 in another car and have been on the whole very happy with it.

I am planning to mount it where the original radios were mounted. This means a fairly complex install

So far I have the antenna wire, bluetooth mic wire, and the rear speaker wires to the location. (as well as new roof mounted antenna mounted) Am tiding up the holes cut in the real parcel shelf (likely in the late 70s early 80s by the age of the speakers and radio removed). Currently half way through putting connectors on the Model 2 power/acc/earth harness to install that, then will look at the front speakers. I went with 2x3.5" speakers but they are slightly too large for the opening so will look to see if I can mount them from below with some kind of adaptor. Worst case i'll put them in my mercedes 450SLC (Daily driver) and get something else for this spot. I've also removed the 'front' of the ashtray and plan to mount that in some way so it flips open and behind it will be the USB sockets. Not sure how I will do this yet though

Will take some pictures and post when I get a chance.

Bryce
    Good info Bryce,
    My plan is to run the USB/AUX connectors into the glovebox (using the left hand blanking trim, so no holes drilled) - that way the iPhone can sit in there and connect via Bluetooth for hands free and USB for music.

I see Ebay USA are selling the Model 2 for around US$360.0 and approx $50.0 postage.

Certainly look forward to seeing pics of your installation, have you solved the mounting fascia for the console above the ashtray? Franzose have a nice set-up but will only sell complete with the Model 1.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Before buying a radio unit from OS, check the unit you are buying has the FM band in our local range. The RetroSOund CS900C unit has a 87.5-107.9 range, so it would be be OK here, but some other countries use a different band and some units might be set up for them..
    No problems with the Retrosound Model 2 David, it actually has an AUS setting as well as US and Euro.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information