On the way to Cit-in at Griffith - need to change diesel fuel filter in C5 X7 2litre
  • Help

Default On the way to Cit-in at Griffith - need to change diesel fuel filter in C5 X7 2litre

Hi Froggers and especially those coming to Cit-in,

Sue and I left Brisbane on Sunday morning. Car had been running perfectly up until we gave it a fillup of Shell diesel at Nudgee as we left. There were a couple of stutters on the Gateway Motorway then it ran perfectly to Port Macquarie for the night and then onto Richmond the next day. By then we needed more fuel so I put some more shell diesel in at Richmond with the only pump being a hi-flow wide bore pump.

That is when the real fun started. I always wanted to drive the Bells Line of Road. A few stutters going up to Kurrajong Heights was followed by a complete stall coming out of Mt Tomas botanic gardens. It was OK at Wentworth Falls for two days, and I decided to drain the fuel filter to see if that improved the problem. But on the drive to Canberra today lots more stutters a few stalls, depollution faults, loss of cruise control and turbo support too I think. Anyway a few engine restarts and some time everything came back on line and we made it to Canberra.

Advertisement

I decided to ring Melrose Autos, the new Cit dealer in Canberra but they are already 20hrs overbooked for tomorrow so no help on offer from that quarter.

We will try to drive to Griffith on Friday. I have a new fuel filter and the tools I require I think (not having sucessfully managed to do this job yet) but I am loathe to drop diesel all over the forecourt of the Brassy.

So I will look forward to some help in Griffith, or if you see a gold C5 tourer in a layby on the Burley Griffin Way on Friday with the bonnet up, perhaps you might stop to see if you can help!!

Any other suggestions welcome.

I hope you all have a less eventful trip to Cit-in.

Cheers,

Ken W

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You would never have these sorts of problems if you'd taken the CX ... and you'd get to travel in comfort
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

I would suggest you try to read the fault codes in case it is not a fuel problem and you need to get a part before leaving Canberra - just thinking of possibles like brake switch or fuse box. NRMA can read codes, but may not know what they mean.

There should be a rubber drain pipe in front of the filter housing. You unscrew the top and the excess fuel will run down the drain pipe, so you need a catch can. Change the element, refit the top and use the rubber bulb to bleed it of bubbles, which will go to the tank return. The fuel is drawn to the filter by vacuum. If you drain the filter housing, be careful not to cross-thread the drain plug or it will likely leak.

Thankyou David for posting,

I have plugged in the Lexia Notebook to charge and will read the fault codes after dinner. This car has already had a fuse box and brake light switch replaced during warranty but who knows if the new parts were any better quality. I do have a Haynes manual that covers this engine so I have a procedure. I am just a bit concerned about getting the top cover off the filter housing as this is where I baulked last time. I have a better six sided socket this time which worked well on the oil filter housing.

Cheers,

Ken W

Ken, try calling Bill M. who is a local Pug guru and therefore knows Cits to a large degree. He works from home on the Southside of Canberra and is very helpful and friendly. I will PM his number to you.
    James

UFO

Is the battery OK?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks for the posts.

I just hooked up the Lexia and had success on the second attempt. The injection system is reporting fuel pressure regulation problems, one log says pressure is too low and the other says pressure is too high. I will continue with the fuel filter change strategy - it feels just like it has in the past when it has misbehaved we have been on a trip and the fuel filter fixed it then.

James, I will give Bill M a call tomorrow and see what is possible on Easter Thursday.

Craig, the battery is not giving me too much time before going into economy mode these days but it is still turning the engine over well so fingers crossed on that score.

Nota, thanks for your offer too. I hope I won't need to take you up on it.

Thanks for the great support.

Cheers,

Ken W

UFO

Well if you do fail to proceed you may be visited by a fleet of DSs, an SM and a S2 C5. Lookout for us, Mort, DS, Boyracer, Pajamas. RONHIC and a few others. We are meeting in Yass for lunch at 12:30. I'll PM my mobile number to you.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Froggers,

Thanks again for the help and offers.

After a few careful drives around Canberra this morning, the injection faults cleared. Bill M fitted my new fuel filter for me this afternoon so I have now seen one fitted by an experienced mechanic and know what and when to use the two different bleed systems. This is a much better guide than the Haynes. I also took the precaution of purchasing another fuel filter from him in case I pick up some more dud fuel before I get home.

Looking forward to catching up with some of you in Griffith.

Cheers,

Ken W

What brand was the fuel from Richmond?
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I don't believe any of that stuff about about "brand of diesel". When that refinery went down in Geelong last year .... **EVERY** brand of diesel coudln't get stock .............. ie: there all the bloody same.

I think the point is more on how clean and moisture free the diesel tanks are at the place you buy the diesel from.

Either way, I'm sure there's some CX's heading his direction that can tow the fragile modern plastic stuff when it breaks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I often fill up in Richmond, so I'd still like to know the brand so I can avoid that service station.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Hi,

The C5 ran well on the way to Griffith so we are here now with all the other Cit-iners. The moral of this exercise is, if you are going away for a long trip in an HDi Diesel, install a new fuel filter before you go and/or have a spare one with you and the tools required to change it yourself on the road.

Although the fuel I used was Shell, this is the best run I have had out of any of the three fuel filters I have had in the car. It lasted 35000 kms which is getting close to the 40000 km replacement interval recommended by Citroen for Aust. The other two only lasted about 20000km each. So I am putting this down mainly to a filter that was getting near the end of its life and this trip putting a bit more stress on the system than the normal running about town and short trips up the north coast. The citroen dealer told me the only diesel better than Shell is BP.

Cheers,

Ken W.

Thread Information