Farewell C5
  • Help

Thread: Farewell C5

Default Farewell C5

After 3 years I'm no longer a Citroen owner as i traded the 10 yr old C5 this week.
    There are really only 2 reasons I'm not still in a new Citroen,
    1) They dropped the best feature - hydraulic suspension, from all but the most expensive model & priced themselves out of the running.
    2) there is no dealer for 180+km. I would have thought that with large towns like Bendigo & Shepparton nearby there would be something, but no.
    So i decided not to pay for what seems to be a reskinned Pug on steel springs

the C5 was nice & rode brilliantly,but was getting a bit unreliable as daily transport with 2 long distance breakdown tows in 3 months. perhaps i'll find a nice CX one day as a weekender...

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by redsky View Post
    After 3 years I'm no longer a Citroen owner as i traded the 10 yr old C5 this week.
    1) They dropped the best feature - hydraulic suspension, from all but the most expensive model & priced themselves out of the running.
    2) there is no dealer for 180+km. I would have thought that with large towns like Bendigo & Shepparton nearby there would be something, but no.

the C5 was nice & rode brilliantly,but was getting a bit unreliable as daily transport with 2 long distance breakdown tows in 3 months. perhaps i'll find a nice CX one day as a weekender...
    You can't just leave us up in the air...traded on what?
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by redsky View Post

Yes finding a good CX would be a wonderful solution. There hasn't really been a proper Citroen since this model, only cars built on Peugeot floor pans and running bastardised hydraulic front suspension using cobbled up struts that are prone to failure.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

Consider the generous Victorian car club scheme for cars over 25 years old. It can cost very little to keep an older car like a CX as a hobby car if you can tinker with it and close the door on the garage when you want as opposed to when you have to. There have been a couple of GS needing TLC on offer lately and they might present some cheap entertainment for you, cheaper than even a CX!

The distance to a workshop has put more than a few regional people off cars they might otherwise have bought, so that aspect is understandable from your perspective. Hope the new transport works out well for you.

I'm sure I'll be back in a hydraulic Citroen someday. in the meantime I'll have to make do with one of those SUV's that I promised myself I'd never have. A Dodge Journey for hauling 7 & the camper around. Can't beat it for the price. Suits the family but personally I'd rather a Safari.

I came very close to getting a Journey, only the boot height and memories of how much my Voyager cost to keep going, and the average quality, put me off. That and the fact the Picasso was some what cheaper to buy, and run since it's a diesel. Still wouldn't mind a Journey though.

Tadpole

Redsky I'm with you, after 2+ years with the C4 Hdi and not a problem it was time to move on with the going was good, the dealers were not keen on trading a Citroen.....well French car's in general. Anyhow the challange now is how close in fuel (petrol) economy can we get the Kia Rio to the C4 Hdi.
    Thanks all for this forum it has been a great help before and during my brief French relationship.
    Cheers

JBN

Those that benefit most from Citroen ownership are those that buy second hand.

The Citroen loses its price quickly. A cheap used Citroen makes sense, in that there is so much saved against a new car , fuel consumption figures mean nothing. You've already saved in purchase price the fuel costs for the next number of years.

It also forces one to become familiar with tinkering with cars, as there is not too many mechanics that want to touch them, as the poor bastards struggled with the School Certificate before getting an apprenticeship, so anything mentally challenging is anathema to them.

Good luck with your new car. Our second car in Australia was a 40s Dodge. My mother, who learned to drive in it, put a big dent in the rear guard when she reversed into a gate post, despite DODGE being written on the rear boot. Some people are untrainable.

John

1000+ Posts

Hi-seems that not buying/owning a french car because of commute distance to dealer is no longer an excuse,at least in Western Vic as there is no Holden Dealer between Ballarat & Horsham.
    Always used to amuse me years ago when people bought Toyotas because they thought they had 'everything' just because they had a radio& heater.Maybe if Peugeot had included a radio people would have said they were the greatest thing on wheels.
    Someone once said people are strange cattle.
    I am so glad I had the opportunity to drive most of the way to 'The Mountain' & back many moons ago.
    May I add that I have never heard anyone bag French cars as much as I did for years-so it was a complete conversion one would say & to say the least I have met so many really genuine people along the track.

Pekay.

JBN

I bag French cars (or at least Citroen) after having owned them. Until ownership, I thought they were some of the most beautiful and graceful cars available. I have since realised that beauty is not skin deep. Once they got under my skin and I under theirs, the trouble began.

But then they are fun to drive. Returning home from the Citroen Car Club meeting tonight, along the rolling Kings Georges Road from Hurstville to Blakehurst, I was behind a BMW X5 at the lights. He accelerated up and over the hill until he hit the speed limit and then backed off. About 2-3 secs of thrill in return for a very expensive vehicle.

Having bought my 2CV in the UK in 1993 for about 1200 pounds, theoretically I had plenty of money to play with, so I let the two horses have their head(s). Over hill and dale the dueche sailed, the best type of roads for a 2CV are rolling hills. Flat out down them to pick up energy before it whithers on the ascent. A dual carriageway with no place for the Highway Patrol to park. All intersections and the bottom of the hills and all with lights.

A little bit of Heaven right here on Earth.

What else are you going to do with 13 demerit point? Just look at them?

John

Quote Originally Posted by flightdeck View Post
    Redsky I'm with you, after 2+ years with the C4 Hdi and not a problem it was time to move on with the going was good, the dealers were not keen on trading a Citroen.....well French car's in general. Anyhow the challange now is how close in fuel (petrol) economy can we get the Kia Rio to the C4 Hdi.
    Thanks all for this forum it has been a great help before and during my brief French relationship.
    Cheers
    We've had 3 Rios over the past years (not the current shape, but 2 previous) and couldn't beat them for the price. Fuel consumption was higher than we expected though. Be interest in how the new one is......new generation all together. Enjoy.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Thread Information