RE: Engine WatchDog
  • Help

Default RE: Engine WatchDog

Hello, everyone
    I have ID19 as you all know. My car does not have water/engine temperature gauge.
    I have been thinking of getting this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGINE-WA...item20cfcb9abe for a while.
    I like this one because it is very easy to install.
    Anyone got this kind of device in your older car?
    Thank you.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Hello, everyone
    I have ID19 as you all know. My car does not have water/engine temperature gauge.
    I have been thinking of getting this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGINE-WA...item20cfcb9abe for a while.
    I like this one because it is very easy to install.
    Anyone got this kind of device in your older car?
    Thank you.
    Why not fit a temperature gauge?

Cheaper, done properly can be in-keeping with car and warns you before the car has overheated and gives you a chance to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Why not fit a temperature gauge?

Cheaper, done properly can be in-keeping with car and warns you before the car has overheated and give you a chance to to stop immediately.
    I agree.
    Head temperature might be like watching the horse that just bolted.
    Coolant temp monitoring is watching the horse before it gets out the gate.
    You also get to monitor the action of the thermostat and the coolant fans with a coolant temp gauge.

Jo

Mmmmm I guess No short cut here. But it is very very hard to get all the required parts. I do not seems find any local store to have them all.

I was thinking to put temperature sensor on the heater hose. I think that is easier option? I saw some people made hole on the water pump mounting block, but I will not do it as it is very fragile and require removal.

At this stage I can only think of getting all the parts from ebay( China)
    Thanks for your advice.

1000+ Posts

`Hi,
    I think its a good looking unit. It would be easy to fit any sensible way you want. The sensor could be put under any small screw or bolt head or clamped with a hose clamp to a suitable part or hose. Perhaps the others did not notice it does read the temperature normally as well as acting as an alarm. I have not actually seen one but thought they looked good.
    Go for it if you think it will do what you want.
    cheers Jaahn

Some years an electronics magazine (Electronics Australia I think) published a project for what they termed a "Critical Systems Alarm".
    This was an all seeing device that sounded an alarm if water temp exceeded a set value, oil pressure fell too low and a few other parameters that could be programmed in.
    Unfortunately I have lost my coppy of the article. And cant find it on the net.
    Would anyone have a copy? I would like to make one.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    `Hi,
    I think its a good looking unit.
    YEs....It would look great on a fuego or any other early 80's car, but would look very odd indeed on an id 19.

I actually loaded up some images of an ID19 in the hope i could suggest an existing pug/reno/citroen gauge that would not look out of place, but came to the conclusion that the dash looks great the way it is, and that is without a gauge.
    If I installed one of those minders, I'd be trying realy realy hard to burry it deep under something so the LED could not be seen, and I'd just run with the alarm.
    I run an temp alarm in my car, and its a great asset.

Jo

I reckon the go in an ID19 or other early D would be a pair of old-fashioned-looking round Murphy swichgages for water temperature and oil pressure, like these in the link, connected to an alarm.

http://www.howardinstruments.com.au/page/FW-Murphy/

Roger

Thanks everyone. Actually looks is not that important for me as long As I do`nt modify part of car. But I was going to put it under neath or inside glove box. But I don`t know what to do now. I will leave it for now.

I am 100% happy with the one I fitted to my DS, except that I chose the "Engine Guardian" which I believe has a few more features.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGINE-GU...item2a2a76d39a

I wrote about it in a thread a while ago. It sits under the dash above the handbrake so is invisible to passengers. Mine reminds me to open the choke, warns of abnormal high temp and can also operate a relay for thermo fans. All alarm points are set by the user. Readout is immediate unlike most water temp gauges which are notoriously slow to react.

I would suggest going ahead and fitting one. It is a quick and easy solution and totally reversible, much better than hacking a hole in the dash for an additional dial or hanging one dangerously under the dash.

There is a photo of my installation in this thread:

DS Hazard switch and temperature gauge etc

RE: Engine WatchDog-engine-guardian_600x600.jpg
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I reckon the go in an ID19 or other early D would be a pair of old-fashioned-looking round Murphy swichgages for water temperature and oil pressure, like these in the link, connected to an alarm.

Roger
    Regarding oil pressure, Is that pressure for hydraulic oil pressure? I was thinking the red lamp on the left side of speed meter was oil pressure warning lamp? Where would you put sensor/sender?

Engine oil pressure. Yes, there is a warning lamp. The gauge could be connected to something more strident, such as a buzzer.

Roger

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

Roger
    Interesting link. Thanks Roger. I've been contemplating some decent gauges myself. A lot to choose from ......which might be a problem . Anyone have a model installed that suits the dash of a 74 DS Safari?

bas

I've got a similar device mounted in my Landcruiser to keep track of the engine and gearbox temperatures as the normal gauge has a large flat spot. It works like a charm, once you've set it up with the right maximum and minimum temperatures. A mate of mine actually makes and sells them but they would probably look a bit out of place in a DS from an esthetic point of view (http://www.welltempered.info/index.html)
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

His ID19 will have nothing most likely. No oil pressure, no coolant temp (the usual it to drill a hole in one of the head plates and bolt the sensor in here). A straight temperature gauge isn't ideal IMO .... You need a light or warning sound to prompt you to look at the gauge. Same with oil pressure, it's no good looking at an oil pressure gauge after you hear the big end hammering away

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    I've got a similar device mounted in my Landcruiser to keep track of the engine and gearbox temperatures as the normal gauge has a large flat spot. It works like a charm, once you've set it up with the right maximum and minimum temperatures. A mate of mine actually makes and sells them but they would probably look a bit out of place in a DS from an esthetic point of view (http://www.welltempered.info/index.html)
    Thanks Bas
    I will look into this. I think this one is better than 2 other selling on bay. I like the multiple temperature locations.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    His ID19 will have nothing most likely. No oil pressure, no coolant temp (the usual it to drill a hole in one of the head plates and bolt the sensor in here). A straight temperature gauge isn't ideal IMO .... You need a light or warning sound to prompt you to look at the gauge. Same with oil pressure, it's no good looking at an oil pressure gauge after you hear the big end hammering away

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yes thanks for the temperature sensor mounting location! Yes that is easy enough to do! I might put sensor there in the future.
    I think there is a oil pressure warning lamp in the speedo console. When I start engine, it light up and stays for a while. I saw some kind of sensor near front height corrector and wire is connected with usual Citroen connector. I should have disconnect it to find out what it does....
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 25th March 2013 at 03:51 PM.

A straight temperature gauge isn't ideal IMO .... You need a light or warning sound to prompt you to look at the gauge. Same with oil pressure, it's no good looking at an oil pressure gauge after you hear the big end hammering away

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Some people need rain sensing wipers and automatic headlight switches too.....
    How do the rest of us cope????

Jo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Some people need rain sensing wipers and automatic headlight switches too.....
    How do the rest of us cope????

Jo
    Nah this is quite different. What is the likely hood of you noticing the oil pressure dropping to zero before destroying the motor if a stone holes the sump or something like that. There wouldn't be a production car in existence with a temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge, that doesn't also have warning lights to cover low oil pressure and high temperature as well.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Nah this is quite different. What is the likely hood of you noticing the oil pressure dropping to zero before destroying the motor if a stone holes the sump or something like that. There wouldn't be a production car in existence with a temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge, that doesn't also have warning lights to cover low oil pressure and high temperature as well.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Maybe, this device is answer to all that?

Fellow Frogger!

I agree, it's a good idea fitting a heat sensor. The normal "water" temperature gauge is fine when you have coolant in the raditor etc. You must remember though that you need to keep an eye on it. If you split a hose for example, you might see the temperature rise briefly while any remaining coolant gets hotter, but once the coolant is lost, the temperature gauge won't read the temperature because it needs to be immersed in fluid to work.
    Any extra sensors and especially, an alarm, is a good thing but don't wreck the old dash to do it. Michael

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    I agree, it's a good idea fitting a heat sensor. The normal "water" temperature gauge is fine when you have coolant in the raditor etc. You must remember though that you need to keep an eye on it. If you split a hose for example, you might see the temperature rise briefly while any remaining coolant gets hotter, but once the coolant is lost, the temperature gauge won't read the temperature because it needs to be immersed in fluid to work.
    Any extra sensors and especially, an alarm, is a good thing but don't wreck the old dash to do it. Michael
    Have you ever blown the top hose before? I am thinking if that`s blown I should see steam or water on the window screen?
    Newly installed Top L hose swells a lot and it looks like about explode!
    I will not make hole in any part of interior. I will use double sticky tape or just throw in at back somewhere.
    I guess this device can detect if cooling system stop working. eg damaged water pump, thermostat, broken fan belt, lost engine oil etc.
    How is your ID going? Have you repaired leaked rear break hoses?

Fellow Frogger!

I haven't had a hose split on the Citroen. The 1960 ID has a factory water temp gauge fitted that is visible to the right of the Speedo. This is a rare gauge to see in an ID. The position is the small area where you will see the chevrons.
    The "64 Heidelberg ID that came from Hepburn Springs not long ago has a temp gauge set in the dash. I need to get "stuck in" and change it back to brake fluid as it is leaking "big time" with Canola Oil.
    Having moved house to a acreage (still in Castlemaine) I finish with all that this week. I have the "60 ID on the hoist ready to pull the, for the want of a better word, "swivel joints". These facilitate the brake fluid getting to the rear brakes. Most Froggies recommend discarding these and replace them with hoses as on later Citroens. I agree that this is a good idea but I like these original fitments. I think you said that you'd repaired one Kaz. My brother John had a couple repaired by DS Motors in Brisbane. I'm looking forward to get "stuck in" next week and see how I go.
    I suppose your ID is now registered and did you fit the radiator fan I supplied. Michael

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    I haven't had a hose split on the Citroen. The 1960 ID has a factory water temp gauge fitted that is visible to the right of the Speedo. This is a rare gauge to see in an ID. The position is the small area where you will see the chevrons.
    The "64 Heidelberg ID that came from Hepburn Springs not long ago has a temp gauge set in the dash. I need to get "stuck in" and change it back to brake fluid as it is leaking "big time" with Canola Oil.
    Having moved house to a acreage (still in Castlemaine) I finish with all that this week. I have the "60 ID on the hoist ready to pull the, for the want of a better word, "swivel joints". These facilitate the brake fluid getting to the rear brakes. Most Froggies recommend discarding these and replace them with hoses as on later Citroens. I agree that this is a good idea but I like these original fitments. I think you said that you'd repaired one Kaz. My brother John had a couple repaired by DS Motors in Brisbane. I'm looking forward to get "stuck in" next week and see how I go.
    I suppose your ID is now registered and did you fit the radiator fan I supplied. Michael
    Hello, Michael
    Yes thank you. I installed the fan. I also replaced rubber thing under the radiator because for some reason height changed and fan cover was hitting the fan. Also top radiator rod need to be adjusted so fan does not hit the cover.
    It is working fine. Yes it has club permit! I will visit you one day soon. Ring road is still under repair very dangerous to drive!
    Please see this site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/capa_ro...7633103038305/

Thread Information