D Owners; Check Your Wiring...
  • Help

Default D Owners; Check Your Wiring...

Its well known that the 1967-1970 model d series had poor engine loom wiring. The problem was the type of insulation used. Most have been replaced now.

However, Citroen, bless 'em did manage to continue with the poor insulation in another area, not often noticed.
    The wiring from the terminals of the Bosch wiper motors to the Citroen connectors.
    The Bosch wiring where it exits the motor is insulated with stuff that lasts forever. What doesn't is the soldered black wiring from those three terminals to the female connectors in the wiring loom.

I've replaced the wires on the '74 DS23 Safari AND the 1966 ID.

Here are a couple of images.

Now that is an accident waiting to happen. All three wires exit the METAL frame in a confined space.

Advertisement

Here is the area in question.

Check your wiring, the terminals are robust, the wiring also a heavy gauge.
    The replacement wiring is of the same size. All wires are black with coloured sleeves.
    Oddly, the female (powered) connectors in the engine wiring loom are wired with a lighter wire. Go figure.

Worth checking.

cheers
    richo

DS

My 1969 car with its rubber coated (now perished coatless) wiring is in the process of a major re-wire after a similar issue. Its had patchwork over the years but now is time to go all out!

D Owners; Check Your Wiring...-225556_10151751552843496_246075128_n.jpg
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    My 1969 car with its rubber coated (now perished coatless) wiring is in the process of a major re-wire after a similar issue. Its had patchwork over the years but now is time to go all out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	225556_10151751552843496_246075128_n.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	40810
    Have you considered taking the chance to put in the maple dashboard now?
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	225556_10151751552843496_246075128_n.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	40810
    Yah, I think I would be tempted to rip all that out and start from scratch. Do yourself a giant favor, though- unless it's really necessary (usually it isn't) DO NOT mess with the rear harness. They rarely fail, and on the wagons they are a complete bastard to replace.

Getting back to Richo's original post- I have found several wiper motors from the '68-'70 era that suffer from this problem. I can't for the life of me think of why Bosch would have even tried this, but an educated guess is no one thought these cars would go much past a working life of 10-15 years. All I can do is repair them as best as possible when they come up.
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 17th March 2013 at 10:39 AM.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post

Check your wiring, the terminals are robust, the wiring also a heavy gauge.
    The replacement wiring is of the same size. All wires are black with coloured sleeves.
    Oddly, the female (powered) connectors in the engine wiring loom are wired with a lighter wire. Go figure.

Worth checking.

cheers
    richo
    Yah, I spotted that, too. I just finally said "everything on the wipers, 14ga from the switch and on out", simply because using 16ga with that much current is asking for trouble, especially with an old motor.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information