Total oil for my 2cv
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Total oil for my 2cv

Hi

Just wondering if anyone else on this forum uses Total oil.

For no reason really just to be authentic.

If so are there any Sydney suppliers that people can recommend?

Chris Mortimer

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Bizzare how this post got me nowhere.

The upshot is I can source three 5litre bottles quartz 9000 for 2cv for $49.95 a bottle delivered.

Just off net and delivery free. You got to get that quantity.

I would have thought there might be a person or two out there liking the concept of their older Cit running on the stuff.

Chris M

JBN

Chris, I doubt if anyone knows where you get Total oil from. I don't. Not having an original Owners Manual for a 2CV, I take a lot of information from Haynes Fairy Tales. There they suggest a Multigrade engine oil, viscosity SAE 15W/40 (Duckhams Hypergrade). Goodness knows where one gets Duckhams oil from, although the Duck part of the name probably indicates its specifically for ducks?

I use Castrol original GTS oil (in the light grey container). Its cheap. Neither of my cars are authentic, both having electronic ignition (Luminition on one, 123 Ignition on the other) plus both have Harley coils. I use Mobil 1 on one of the 2CVs (a cheap synthetic). I am not sure if it does the pushrod seals any good and one the next rebuild of that motor I may not use a synthetic.

I guess non-conformity has infiltrated the Duck community.

John

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone else on this forum uses Total oil.

For no reason really just to be authentic.

If so are there any Sydney suppliers that people can recommend?

Chris Mortimer
    I have a TOTAL oil service reminder sticker on my C2 from the Citroen Dealer - I imagine they use TOTAL, but who knows.

I'm happy with an oil that is suitable for the job - any brand so long as its suitable. I think D's CX, GS of the 70's used Castrol oil stickers. Maybe Castrol oil too!

Sorry no help in finding TOTAL oil. :-/
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Nice if you live in Brisbane.
    Great company to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    I have a TOTAL oil service reminder sticker on my C2 from the Citroen Dealer - I imagine they use TOTAL, but who knows.
    I'm happy with an oil that is suitable for the job - any brand so long as its suitable. I think D's CX, GS of the 70's used Castrol oil stickers. Maybe Castrol oil too!
    Sorry no help in finding TOTAL oil. :-/
    We've had a few threads on this subject.
    I observed that Continental were big fans of Castrol but changed to Total sometime in the last few years.

I believe Total have just done a retail distribution deal with Auto Barn. That may only be a few stores to start with as their retail presence is only just beginning.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'm pretty sure most garages will likely use the oil that they can charge the highest markup on... I just seem to default the Nulon oil these days almost regardless of the car. You can buy a drum of thin synthetic low ash stuff for a reasonable price for the modern diesels too. Don't worry the car doesn't know what brand of oil is within

Unless the Total oil is cheap I can't see a lot of it being sold (given it's an unknown brand in Australia).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Unless the Total oil is cheap I can't see a lot of it being sold.....
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    $50 for 3L is not going to see a stampede.

Jo

Edit...
    Whoops, got my 3's and 5's mixed up...Not bad value at $10 per L

Try this website, www.totaloil.com.au. The Aussie HQ is in Melbourne and via distributors they do both Total and Elf products.

Brendan

JBN

I think Total Quartz is a bit upmarket for a 2CV. Do they make a Total Sand?

John

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

I thought TOTAL would have been one of the cheapest oil in Australia aswell. Since the day I got mad and started to go all Citroen TOTAL was the only oil I used in French and non French cars.

If I convert the price the oil for my VTS TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 5 litre can is $40 for the DS TOTAL QUARTZ 5000 5 litre can is around $32 TOTAL LHM is $7 a litre so it is alot cheaper than the lovely $50 for castrol gtx and almost $15 cheaper than 1 litre castrol LHM!!
    Maby it is not that cheap for you guys but compared to other oils like ELF shell etc TOTAL is very cheap in South Africa

Can't think that there should be a big price difference between countries? I mean the oil come straight from France so we have the same supplier basically??

Cheers
    Corne

JBN

The Castrol GTX original that I use cost $20 for 4 litres. Higher versions of GTX cost more, but I am a believer that the oil that was around at the time of the later 2CVs (say from 1980-1990) is probably best for a simple engine, and if it is cheap it is even better. I change oil and filter every 5000km and have added a Nulon 80,000km egine treatment for good measure.

Given the amount of curry I give my engines, I should perhaps add some yoghurt or curd to calm the effects of the curry (works on people).

John

Fellow Frogger!

Hi again all and great to hear there is a bit of interest in the subject.

Their level of service is great and I got a call from a sales guy today to see if I wanted to go ahead with the purchase.

Here is the email from Leonie:

Hi Christopher

I have confirmed that the Quartz 9000 5w40 is the appropriate product and is available by the box being 3 x 5L bottles
    Cost being $49.95 plus gst per bottle – Total $149.85 plus gst
    Delivery can be arranged Sydney Metro at no additional cost.

To arrange to go ahead with purchase we would require a credit card payment before sending out the stock.

Please contact me direct on 0419 228380 if you wish to make arrangements to proceed with purchase.

Leonie Anderson
    0419 228380
    leonie@elfoil.com.au

I cannot imagine any problems showing the Cit community the email and they deliver for free as well. The guy who I spoke to today is Grant who was also very helpful.

This may sound mad, but I have picked up quite a number of little reto Total stickers off the net for the 2CV - ones I reckon the car may have been delivered with and they look great. My favourite is the one on the rear screen with Total & Citroen emblems.

I will get the oil for the 2CV for no other reason than loving the thought that it running on Total.

Interesting too re Elf. I get the Megane DCi serviced a big place out west called Peter Warren at Liverpool. It recently had it's first service and of course they put Elf in - also nice to know. Elf and Total are parent companies thesedays. I also LOVE their little oil change sticker which is full Renault at the front and digitally typed on at the rear with kilometres. Cool stuff!!

Chris M

I always get my total oil from peugeot dealers. It's cheaper than autobarn.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Chris, I doubt if anyone knows where you get Total oil from. I don't. Not having an original Owners Manual for a 2CV, I take a lot of information from Haynes Fairy Tales. There they suggest a Multigrade engine oil, viscosity SAE 15W/40 (Duckhams Hypergrade). Goodness knows where one gets Duckhams oil from, although the Duck part of the name probably indicates its specifically for ducks?

I use Castrol original GTS oil (in the light grey container). Its cheap. Neither of my cars are authentic, both having electronic ignition (Luminition on one, 123 Ignition on the other) plus both have Harley coils. I use Mobil 1 on one of the 2CVs (a cheap synthetic). I am not sure if it does the pushrod seals any good and one the next rebuild of that motor I may not use a synthetic.

I guess non-conformity has infiltrated the Duck community.

John
    Hi John,
    You talk about Harley coils. I have heard of this before. Can you give me more details? Can I just walk into a harley shop and get it? I'm sure the shop owners would like it, me driving there in my 2CV.
    Herman

JBN

Herman, I get them from ECAS in the UK. Have a look at this link which explains all:

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/igniti...ck-p-1159.html

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Herman, I get them from ECAS in the UK. Have a look at this link which explains all:

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/igniti...ck-p-1159.html

John
    Thanks John. Can't make it to the Cit-in,have visitors.
    Herman

Thread Information