new xantia owner
  • Help

Default new xantia owner

hi guys i just came into ownership of a 1997 xantia 2.0l 16v. over all its a great car, im not about looks at the moment just comfort and its exellant compared to the 205. but what i was really surprised about was the performance, they are very quick cars. i would like to find out things about it, eg. where to find parts, common problems ect.

cheers

Advertisement

Congrats!
    Join the CCC (NSW), a great place to become involved and information, library, etc all for members.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Congratulations Le Frog!

I loved my Xantia SX and would still have it today had it been a wagon. Mort is correct though, join the NSW club and you'll find many people who own/owned them and good information.

According to the website, it's too late to register for Cit-In, but it may well be worth an email explaining your new ownership status and (hopefully) desire to join the NSW club....It's a great weekend!

Well done. I have owned a half dozen of them, still have 2, including an Activa.New car for the missus and kids, I am happy with a Xantia.
    They are pretty bulletproof, especially the earlier ones, and I assume yours is a manual. Heater cores..... 2 sorts, those that leak, and those that will..... it is a big job, so either get used to the smell, or be cold. If it is still ok make sure you have good coolant. If it handles well that suggests the rear bushes are good.... another big expense. Lastly, suspension towers.... not sure whether yours are early ones... they have been known to collapse....I understand the tops let go. You can install later series ones, but I haven't bothered.
    There are some good sites in the UK too, so look far and wide for information. Ebay UK too.
    Carl

Fellow Frogger!

new xantia owner-photo048.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

You will see from my previous attempt to add a photo what can happen when the strut top rubber bonding fails on the series1 Xantia.
    So if yours is a series 1 get underneath, pull down the strut gaiter & with a torch check the rubber top is not cracked or breaking away.
    Series 2 bonding can fail but the strut is prevented by a large ring from passing through the housing in this disasterous fashion.

Richard

Fellow Frogger!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do my Activa. They seem to be solid, honest and well finished cars.

Random info I've gleaned through the wonders of Aussiefrogs (thanks, forum!) is:

If you smell coolant through the vents, treat with an anti-leak additive asap.
    Plastic clips in window regulator mechanism may eventually break, and NLA - see ebay for (lower grade?) aftermarket copies.
    Check both cooling fans work as they should.
    Ensure no leaks from water pump onto (expensive) alternator.
    Clutch cable should operate smoothly - don't ignore; replacement on models so equipped is a real pain (carry a spare in-car?).
    A-pillar can crack at door hinge weld-mounts of wagon-only.
    16V cambelts work a lot harder than the 8V variant.

Top quality Purflux oil filters available for a very reasonable price, shipped to Canberra from the Forum sponsor French Connection.

Informative page below from Honest John UK, who's site btw also contains similar buyer/owner info on other French cars.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar...3/?section=bad

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post

Ensure no leaks from water pump onto (expensive) alternator.
    Clutch cable should operate smoothly - don't ignore; replacement on models so equipped is a real pain (carry a spare in-car?).

It's actually the hydraulic pump that leaks onto the alternator, and LHM does seem to hasten the alternator's demise .

It's not the clutch cable that breaks, but a plastic fitting that connects the clutch cable to the clutch pedal. The original ones break, but yours most likely has been replaced by the later, less breakable, white plastic one.

Other issues:
    If the brake valve boot splits the effect is a bit like seal failure in a conventional brake master cylinder (except that your carpet gets soaked with LHM instead of brake fluid). Seems to be more of a problem with the Turbo CT model (more heat), but is not unknown in the 16V (ask Addo!). Replacing the boot is fiddly, but fairly cheap preventative maintenance.

If the cabin fan plays up, don't just assume it's the problem. These fans draw a high current, and in mine the power connector plug to the fan itself had partly melted and burned/corroded the connectors. Series I cars also lacked a relay, and the full current for the fan was carried through the ignition switch! Fitting a relay is a must (had been done in mine).

Cheers

Alec

Tadpole

Default LHM Leaks Post Replacement of Doseur Valve boot

¨Other issues:
    If the brake valve boot splits the effect is a bit like seal failure in a conventional brake master cylinder (except that your carpet gets soaked with LHM instead of brake fluid). Seems to be more of a problem with the Turbo CT model (more heat), but is not unknown in the 16V (ask Addo!). Replacing the boot is fiddly, but fairly cheap preventative maintenance.¨

Hi. I am new to this forum as my son has purchased a ´97 Xantia 2.0litre 16V VSX. We are currently getting it ready for roadworthy. I´ve repaced the brake valve (or ¨doseur valve¨) boot as it was cracked and leaked lhm onto the drivers side footwell. After a few days of driving around since replacing this boot, I´ve noticde LHM leaking from under the floor, driver´s side. Can anyone shed light on what might be the source? Advice is greatly appreciated.

1000+ Posts

Dave Cavanagh French Connection[AF sponsor]for bits etc.

Thread Information