C5 Exclusive or VW Passat
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default C5 Exclusive or VW Passat

The title says it all. Long time since I have driven a C5 and never driven a Passat.

Hoping for some unbiased comments.

Laurie

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Geez, you'll open a can of worms here, new or second hand?

New of course. Have to spend the wife's money somehow. Spending mine on the CX.

BTW if any of you know where the best salary sacrifice deals for C5's are would appreciate a heads up.

the resale on the C5 will be worse than that of the Passat, but a mate of Dads looked at one the other day ( a Pissrat) and said that it looked cheap and nasty on the inside!!!

i might be a little biased, but have you thought about a Renault Latitude?? Mines done 46k completely trouble free, i'm a bit of a lead foot and its averaged low 7s per 100km (diesel) ...
    If fuel consumption aint a concern, its also now available with the lovely nissan 3.5l V6

Wife has said must have cream interior so will check that out.

UFO

Laurie,

I think your wife only has one option for a salary sacrifice agency, and that is Smart Salary. I use them - it was some other mob at for the first couple of years when I first started (a company run by RACV) but the DEC contract went to Smart Salary. I have found them excellent to deal with. I canned the "management fee" thing as I organise tyres and servicing myself then make the claim online. It is usual to have the claimed funds back in my bank account by 9pm the next night.

Personally I would steer away from cream leather as it would come with cream carpet too. You live in Armidale with nice dark or red soils.... I have the light grey leather and it has been fine.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

You're kidding right. The Passat will be by far the better car and you will still get 10 grand for it in ten years time. My 2001.5 Passat is the best car I've ever owned , not one serious problem, except for an alternator rebuild and 2 coil packs. Drives and rides like a new car. Compare with the tales of woe from C5 owners of cars of a similar vintage.
    The diesel would be a good option.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

Have to agree with Trading - get the PASSAT.
    Have got a Mk V golf TDI with DSG.
    Over 7 years replaced 2 driveshaft boots and an alternator pulley in other than main servicing.
    Same but different. VW uses parts bin technology so bits are interchangeable.

Go for diesel - will come with 6 speed DSG (this is the box without problems).
    Avoid V6, heavy on juice & TSI as it has the 7-speed box (prone to problems that NOT EVERYONE has).
    Only problem with diesel is the DPF, but this is the same with any new diesel.
    Unless you need the PASSAT, I suggest waiting for the new Mk VII golf - you'll be surprised with the interior room.

David

David, my criteria is must fit golf clubs so Passat though Golf is very nice. Country car so DPF should not be an issue either way. Craig, my wife is adamant about interior though light grey might be accepted if no cream available.

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    You're kidding right. The Passat will be by far the better car and you will still get 10 grand for it in ten years time. My 2001.5 Passat is the best car I've ever owned , not one serious problem, except for an alternator rebuild and 2 coil packs. Drives and rides like a new car. Compare with the tales of woe from C5 owners of cars of a similar vintage.
    The diesel would be a good option.
    So your Passat is as reliable as my Xantia. That's a good feeling. You'd have to wait and drive it until 2019 to find out whether it is as reliable as our Peugeot 306.

Personally, I'd be looking at the quality of available backup close to home. Doesn't matter what you buy, cars are complicated and something might go wrong (see the post somewhere recently with a Toyota sunroof problem and the dealer...).

What irritates me about most new cars I drive (or ride in, or read about) is poor ride quality. I'd be wanting something that didn't jiggle and thump. The latest Benz review here in Perth said the ride was very firm but it wasn't a bad ride, just a consequence of good handling. Bugger the handling I thought! All cars handle well enough for most people.

Having said that, my heart might like the C5 but I'm not sure my head would go that way to be honest.

Can we have a running report on the Passat as it gets older please?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I'm loving the C5!

But I do admit I didn't look at any other cars so I can't make comparisons. This purchase was all about ride quality and when I see the occupants of other cars knocking about inside like rag dolls, while I glide over every little bump, I know I made the right choice for me.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Laurie---I dont know why the Citroen dealers dont have customers lined up at the front door.
    This country has become German centric ----every weekend paper has a review of a Germman car----why.
    I have a an Exclusive with the new 120 KW diesel ----dont need any more power. My friend has a new one after trading in a 2008 even thgough it had a few miner issues, but he still loved it.
    The C5 exclusive has many standard feautures and is great value. 9 air bags, turning zenon lights,laminated glass etc etc. The Passat cant offer the ride quality. Id go for the lighter interior ----yes Craig is right the carpets are cream as well and they do soil easly, but i put up with that as it makes the whole interior is a lot lighter. we found the dark seats and carpets in our old Peugeot 407 made the interior too dark. The mats are removable and I wash them every now and then.
    I suggest you go for a long drive in one. We went to Mildura and back in January 110 kph and returned 6.2 / 100kms very quiet and very comfortable. Yes Im happy and Id buy another one so long as citroen continue with the hydro suspension.
    Cheers
    Colin

My heart is also with the C5 but the head will have to see both sets of figures first and I will have to drive a Passat also. C5 looks soooo much better. Laurie, remember dollars not senses.

I can tell you it is amazing how many car manufactures now only provide black leather interiors.

DS

German car seats, mmmmmmmm. So comfy.....mmmmmmm. (I'm yet to sit in a good German car seat especially the rears, they are like planks of wood).
    You need to drive both cars and not just an around the block drive. Please don't simply go with "German reliability".
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    German car seats, mmmmmmmm. So comfy.....mmmmmmm. (I'm yet to sit in a good German car seat especially the rears, they are like planks of wood).
    My thoughts initially, but, having driven one for more than 7 years, I can say that they are just as comfortable.
    Just need getting used to that's all. Don't see rally drivers driving around on pillows do you?

If either marque is only for the term of the lease, and no more, then I assume no problems.
    However, will you sell it at the end to cover residual, if it's a cit?
    Would assume not a problem with the dak dak.

Would like to buy a new C5, looks far better (in my eyes at least) than the Passat.
    However, the long term durability would have to be better than the previous model, if this forum is anything to go by.
    If the reliability is no better than before & the marque having a new (unknown) distributor, then warning bells would be ringing loudly.
    The 2L german diesel is a known quantity. Is the newer diesel more reliable than before?

The distributors will be new, but, the techs repairing/diagnosing problems will be the same, good/bad/indifferent?

David

My VW was not a good car. My Citroens HAVE BEEN good cars. Ride, reliability, service,economy are all better. The latest C5 is a quality car.
    I drove a friends Lexus 450 hybrid ($110,000) for 400Km. over the past 2 days, very impressive, handled well, 8.6L/100Km. However returning to my 2010 C5, the luxury was on a par and the ride better.
    Allan.

DS

Don't see rally drivers driving around on pillows do you?
    I definately don't see rally drivers sitting on regular issue seats.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

With the C5 I think the big issue will be at the end of a lease and it's value. I have to get my head around that issue as I have not done the salary sacrifice thing for a car before.

If you give them the car back and the cars value is less than the residual do you have to make up the difference? If it is more can you sell the car and pay the residual and pocket the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    So your Passat is as reliable as my Xantia. That's a good feeling. You'd have to wait and drive it until 2019 to find out whether it is as reliable as our Peugeot 306.

Personally, I'd be looking at the quality of available backup close to home. Doesn't matter what you buy, cars are complicated and something might go wrong (see the post somewhere recently with a Toyota sunroof problem and the dealer...).

What irritates me about most new cars I drive (or ride in, or read about) is poor ride quality. I'd be wanting something that didn't jiggle and thump. The latest Benz review here in Perth said the ride was very firm but it wasn't a bad ride, just a consequence of good handling. Bugger the handling I thought! All cars handle well enough for most people.

Having said that, my heart might like the C5 but I'm not sure my head would go that way to be honest.

Can we have a running report on the Passat as it gets older please?

Its been so good it might just be still in the family in 7 years . I will report if you ask!

Look I am a french car enthusiast of long standing and have had many models. I am disappointed in some of the quality issues that have arisen in PSA group cars in recent years. Thats why I prefer the Volkswagen group for ongoing quality atm, but there will always be exceptions and personal stories of bad luck. Of course I would always prefer french seats! I still long for my renault 20 'armchairs'

No problems with Xantias and 306's are one of my favourites. I suppose I was reflecting on the depreciation that cars like modern Citroen's suffer as well as a history of previous C5 problems. The new C5 may prove to a great car and it is probably unfair to compare it to the earlier models . The damage is done when you want to pass it on. Servicing, as you mention, is also an important point.
    A friend just bought a top of the line china blue Citroen VTS coupe , glass roof, leather etc, first registered in early 2009, 39000k's. Faultless condition , a beautiful car. He offered the dealer 9000 cash and bought a car that cost mid forties in 2009. An equivalent Golf with less features would still command 10 k more. Therein lies the rub. Modern Citroens are great buys - a couple of years out of the showroom.

Agree with you on the ride in modern cars thats why I love the 15 inch wheels on the 1.8 turbo Passat that give such an incredible ride. But then I prefer a softer ride in my old age!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

JBN

Rally drivers don't get to pick their cars or the seats. Its a job. If they survive, terrific. If they win, even better. If the opposition offer more money, they'll change, bugger the car, bugger the seats. Its a job.

I would go for comfort every time. How much "handling" do you require in the land of long straight roads, generally dry, rarely icy.

If the financials of a lease are a big issue, just get a Falcon G6E. Comfortable enough, no service problems, good residual and plenty of room for the golf clubs of you and your 3 golfing friends. Remember the US won WW2, the Germans were runners up, even with all their leading edge toys.

John

VIP Sponsor

Both 'Good Cars'.... but if my choice i would go for the C5 and keep it for 15 years!

Take from this what you want, because I dont know a thing about either car but still have a vauge impression.
    So this can be the pleb or chick veiw on the cars.

I cant even remember what a C5 looks like, and i do notice other peoples cars, their wheels and tyres and the way they drive.
    Maybe there is a a less remarkable car on the market, but cant think of it either..

I notice the passat though, and even had one encounter with one a few weeks back, that was obviously stolen because seldom do I get blown away and left for dead in a such manner.
    By the time I'd reached 90 km/h (20 over) in as much flurry as the fuego could muster, that passat was easily 300m in front and dissapearing fast.

I dont know if there even is a type R passat, but as I watched him disappear, I comforted my ego by figuring yes, that was a type R.

Jo

UFO

Laurie you need to remember too that there are restrictions placed on sal sac cars through govt departments. The sale value of the car (excluding on roads) cannot exceed the luxury car tax level UNLESS it meets certain stringent pollution levels. I would expect that either the current 4 cyl C5s or the Passat would meet the requirements.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

bas

I'll tell you my "little story". I drive a 2007 C5 wagon with 196,000 km on the odo. 2 of my colleagues drive Passats, one of them is an R36 and the other one is a normal wagon but with the same engine as the R36. The R36 is coming up to 2.5 years and the wagon is only 8 Months old. Both have the adjustable suspension that can be switched between Sport and Comfort. Guess which car is the favorite when we have to go see a customer... Oh, we'll take your car because it's the most comfortable one...

Yes, you choose with your head. In my case, my back and my bum thank me every time I drive my car. So it costs a bit more to maintain compared to a local car. The VW's are both as expensive, if not more, than mine because of the immensely expensive spare parts. But hey, it's your money and your back...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information