The worst of automotive journalism?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon9 The worst of automotive journalism?

I just happened upon this Youtube video 'Driving a CX from New York to France' - interesting title, heaps of potential for a good yarn and should be worth watching? Honestly don't bother

Advertisement

I understand Clarkson and crew (Topgear) have had their day but compared to this offering by 'Car & Driver' they were at the top of their game.

LJK Setright would turn in his grave

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

i would second that, ljk liked the cx, he was a great motoring writer.
    plus his knowledge was astounding on so many subjects

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

seen that before .... all the car needs is a $70 flywheel sensor.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Grrrrrrrr!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

what a shame no one flicked him a ciggie at around 2:20, could have eliminated the whole problem in one moment

mnm

Hmmmmm.... I wouldn't get too upset... I mean really... look at him! He's an idiot!

Matthew

Hmmm I wonder why the rest of the world has a thing about Americans?
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Complete fuc%wit. Only time he got excited was when he saw a Transam and a Mitsubishi!
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Hmmm I wonder why the rest of the world has a thing about Americans?
    You wonder? I know, you're joking!

Credit where it is due, the dreaded Jeremy Clarkson (who is well aware of his initials and feels the need to be needed) actually liked the CX and said so once.

You KNEW we'd all watch it, didn't you.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You wonder? I know, you're joking!

Credit where it is due, the dreaded Jeremy Clarkson (who is well aware of his initials and feels the need to be needed) actually liked the CX and said so once.

You KNEW we'd all watch it, didn't you.
    Of course, too much of a tease

It was never my intention to bag out our American friends, but these clowns must have some appeal in the USA and I guess their appeal is to the lowest common denominator, a fairly large audience?

The CX in question would be getting rare now anywhere in the world. It probably required quite a bit more than a flywheel sensor (though that would have had the car mobile for it's fateful trip). Car & Driver - disgusting vandalism in the name of entertainment - no stars from me

The clip only reinforces my respect for those that swim against the tide, on our own forum here we have American members whose breadth of knowledge and contribution to the Citroen community is astounding given Citroen withdrew from the USA in the '70's. I've just received my latest copy of Citroenvie magazine via George Dyke which demonstrates a thriving interest in Citroen past and present in North America, we shouldn't tar all Americans with the same brush.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

I would like to throttle the idiot that allowed the poor old girl to get into that condition in the first place!
    I wonder what his opinion would be if he actually got to drive a good one?
    Cheers Gerry

why bother wondering. No rehab for the dreaded ignorance and stupidity combination.
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

I tried watching this piece of Shite,but gave up after one minute,cannot believe that idiotic clowns like these two,who have a solid bone on their shoulders in order to balance their body. Then they wonder why the rest of the world detests them.
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Of course, too much of a tease

It was never my intention to bag out our American friends, but these clowns must have some appeal in the USA and I guess their appeal is to the lowest common denominator, a fairly large audience?

The CX in question would be getting rare now anywhere in the world. It probably required quite a bit more than a flywheel sensor (though that would have had the car mobile for it's fateful trip). Car & Driver - disgusting vandalism in the name of entertainment - no stars from me

The clip only reinforces my respect for those that swim against the tide, on our own forum here we have American members whose breadth of knowledge and contribution to the Citroen community is astounding given Citroen withdrew from the USA in the '70's. I've just received my latest copy of Citroenvie magazine via George Dyke which demonstrates a thriving interest in Citroen past and present in North America, we shouldn't tar all Americans with the same brush.

Cheers
    Chris
    No worries, Chris. Considering what I was wearing at the end of the day today after pulling yet another loom from another D, that tar prolly wouldn't have been too noticeable anyway.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    No worries, Chris. Considering what I was wearing at the end of the day today after pulling yet another loom from another D, that tar prolly wouldn't have been too noticeable anyway.
    This thread took a wrong turn Bill, my apologies for that. Yourself, Steve and of course Daffy and his Whoo Hooo dance are very notable exceptions to any negative comments above

That original sound deadening behind the dash is fun hey, I can imagine the gooey mess when fully removing a loom - my dash is still out of the car, you were interested in pics of the RHD loom anything you'd like me pay particular attention to?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

mnm

I don't think it's a bad reflection on American journalists as such, those knobs on Top Gear are just as guilty of this type of base "humour". It's just lazy, trivial garbage with no thoughfulness, cleverness or wit whatsoever. The culprit in this piece just happened to be a CX.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 12th March 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    I don't think it's a bad reflection on American journalists as such, those knobs on Gop Gear are just as guilty of this type of base "humour". It's just lazy, trivial garbage with no thoughfulness, cleverness or wit whatsoever. The culprit in this piece just happened to be a CX.

Matthew
    That's it. Just watch Top Gear, albeit with slightly more wit at times. Slightly. You wouldn't want to judge the English by JC and his stupid comments about French cars.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's it. Just watch Top Gear, albeit with slightly more wit at times. Slightly. You wouldn't want to judge the English by JC and his stupid comments about French cars.
    By JC, do you mean Jealous Convict?

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    By JC, do you mean Jealous Convict?

John
    Well, Jeremy Clarkson seems to think his JC is something rather more significant than that. But, as I said, he did like the CX despite making rude remarks about all the things I love about mine.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    This thread took a wrong turn Bill, my apologies for that. Yourself, Steve and of course Daffy and his Whoo Hooo dance are very notable exceptions to any negative comments above

That original sound deadening behind the dash is fun hey, I can imagine the gooey mess when fully removing a loom - my dash is still out of the car, you were interested in pics of the RHD loom anything you'd like me pay particular attention to?

Cheers
    Chris
    No problem here. I had seen the video quite a while ago (I even commented on it), and just shook my head in exasperation. Ignorant scribbling like this is why I gave up on most auto magazines a long time ago. Even my erstwhile favorite, Car isn't immune from this crap.

As for the America-bashing, I have seen one hell of a lot worse on these pages. At least there is some logical basis for it this time.

Funny enough, the tar paper usually isn't so much of a goopy mess as it is like a strong adhesive- the '70-> dashboards, relays and wiring stick particularly well, almost like they're in amber. More normally, it's huge mountains of dirt, crumbled horsehair sound deadener, and whatever local critters that have decided to expire in there. On one occasion I found an ancient post-brick cellphone!!

What I was wondering about was how the rear harness hooked up- is the 10-pin connection over towards the passenger side (much as ours would be- near the air box), or is there a jumper harness from there over to the driver side? I'm guessing everything else would basically be a mirror image left<->right. Also- the 8 pin connection for the fender harness (lighting+horn+brake pad indicator)- your driver side or mine?

Bill
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I can't believe the people who commissioned the story actually paid those twats for it.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

We've all heard JC rambling on about anything that isn't pommy but it is usually funny. These guys were not funny at all and just themselves to be totally ignorant.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Fellow Frogger!

Always pick on somebody who won't or can't fight back.
    the saddest part of that video is the fact that it WAS a Prestige, and so would have found many interested buyers for parts at least, but then we have to remember the North American and Canadian passion for salting roads, so it could well be that this poor old CX was rust riddled...a shame to see it end this way on a fork lift.

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    I can't believe the people who commissioned the story actually paid those twats for it.
    Heh- they were gleeful enough about it, I almost think they volunteered.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Always pick on somebody who won't or can't fight back.
    the saddest part of that video is the fact that it WAS a Prestige, and so would have found many interested buyers for parts at least, but then we have to remember the North American and Canadian passion for salting roads, so it could well be that this poor old CX was rust riddled...a shame to see it end this way on a fork lift.
    I'm not worried about the CX, its just an old car, we've sent dozens of them to the crushers and probably in better condition. I just get annoyed at the typical American and Australian attitude that if it hasn't got a V8 its not worth talking about. Just shows people out to be complete fools.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information