DS windscreen wipers
  • Help

Default DS windscreen wipers

Hello, has anyone attempted to 'improve' the wipers on a DS?
    When I built my Mini Marcos I changed from the Mini rack and tube system to a Metro set up with linkages (like most modern cars). The bolt on arms allowed much greater screen pressure and there was no slop, especially as I rose jointed the linkages.
    Can the screen pressure be increased? Which are the best refills to use which go round the edges of the screen?
    I do live in England, the land of constant drizzle....

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, has anyone attempted to 'improve' the wipers on a DS?
    When I built my Mini Marcos I changed from the Mini rack and tube system to a Metro set up with linkages (like most modern cars). The bolt on arms allowed much greater screen pressure and there was no slop, especially as I rose jointed the linkages.
    Can the screen pressure be increased? Which are the best refills to use which go round the edges of the screen?
    I do live in England, the land of constant drizzle....
    "the land of constant drizzle..." We're having our share of rain here (Queensland Aus) and have been for the last 3 months, flooding in Brisbane and most of the east coast. Drizzle, we laugh at drizzle.

Now, before you go making modifications, which wipers do you have on the car. At some point an improved design was fitted you'll see these on later cars.

These have three supports for the blades and will allow a bend when the blade moves around the sharp curve of the screen. Note there are differences for left and right, the support lengths change. The common wipers available only have two supports and are less effective in clearing the screen.

Possibly fitting these later wipers will solve your problem and keep that drizzle under control

Edit: I've been reliably informed the lower of the two wipers in the pic is for the right hand side of the screen

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS windscreen wipers-bosch-wipers.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

The best definition of a classic car I have ever heard is that it is one in which you regard windscreen wipes as a finite resource. Having endured two complete failures in windscreen wiping systems in Dees (one in a 1963 Slough ID19 with the rack and tube system you describe; one in a 1963 Slough DS19 with a later type linkage system) I think I have some foundation for my opinions on this matter. Keeping the side window open and reaching around occasionally with a squeegee-scraper-handle thingy is unsatisfactory as a long term solution, and barely satisfactory in the short term. The best answer I have found is Rain-X, a liquid that you rub onto the windscreen. It messes with the surface tension of the raindrops and causes them to clump together and fly off the windscreen as you drive along. Now that I use Rain-X I hardly every operate the windscreen wipers on my 1959 Slough DS19 (which are the rack and tube type you rightly imply are dodgy).

Roger

Hello, yes I noticed the rain in Melbourne, washing out the Formula 1 qualifying session, no wonder you laugh at drizzle.
    The single flick wipe is the bit I miss most, is there a way around this? Did the very last D's have intermittent or single wipe?

Peter

Thanks for the advice, Roger. In my ID, the wipers don't quite come back as well as they come out. They'll wipe the water off the glass, but if you leave them on constantly, they start moving away from 4/4 and turn into late 70s Zappa-like tomfoolery. I'd prefer them to plod along like the Grateful Dead from the same era so I might try this Rain X you speak of.

If it's gonna rain, I leave Harriet at home but in QLD a (mostly) fine day can suddenly turn into a downpour, or flood.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Here is a lovely thing... a three support DS wiper blade in stainless steel, hugging the curves beautifully.

DS windscreen wipers-dswiper_1024x768.jpg
    PS, photo not mine but owners identity withheld for security reasons
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, yes I noticed the rain in Melbourne, washing out the Formula 1 qualifying session, no wonder you laugh at drizzle.
    The single flick wipe is the bit I miss most, is there a way around this? Did the very last D's have intermittent or single wipe?

Peter
    my 74 DS23 Pallas wipers have 2 speeds only. I minimize their use as I don't want to wear off my black rear vision mirror sticker!

DS

Whats wrong with DS wipers? I can't say I've ever had an issue. For a classic car they are pretty good!

I second the Rain-X. Excellent stuff.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

I live in Tasmania, where we currently would wish for constant drizzle.

DS wipers are just fine. The triple supports for the wiper inserts work well.

Two speeds are just fine, you can always slow down. If your screen sticker is any good it won't wear out in a hurry.

The solution for the perceived problems is to drive a modern car.

There is no one kind of DS wiper. Some are less fine than others. Early "clap hands" wipers have a weaker spring than newer types so are less effective. The rack and tube system used in some Slough Dees is subject to wear and in some cases variable wiping arc.

Roger

Hello, my latest project was to provide a 'flick wipe' facility rather than switching the wipers on an off, so far partially successful. I used the feed to the washer pump to energise a make/break double contact relay. I connected the permanent live from the wiper motor to terminal 30 and a wire from each of the switched terminals to the washer motor and the blue wire on the wiper motor respectively.

A quick pull of the wiper switch now gives one wipe of the screen, and because there is no non return valve in the washer pipe, the washer motor runs but doesn't squirt. A longer pull does wash the screen.

It's not as good as I would like, the wiper motor stutters at first then runs properly, it doesn't start as well as it does when just switched on.

It may have to be changed back, it's not as elegant in operation as I would like.

Question: I have Id19 1961 I don`t think It has wiper speed control. Is that correct?
    However I don`t drive my car in the rain due to dried up roof seal.

Tadpole

A previous owner of my 74 D Special fitted a intermittent variable speed wiper control knob which works really well. It is on the dash just to the left of the gear lever. Unorthodox I know, but useful.

DS

Yesterday my Safari had a new windscreen fitted so it was automatic to fit new wiper blades. I went a traditional look woper set but my mechanic had suitable to fit a DS modern floppy blade/heads. Maybe they work better but they would have looked odd so I declined!
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

I fitted a new windscreen to my Safari a couple of weeks ago and a new windscreen to the '66 UFO, still using the triple supported Bosch blades and Bosch wiper inserts have been on the Safari for nearly 6 years. Thye last a loong time!

cheers,
    r
    Last edited by richo; 27th March 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, Caparobertsan, The early ID only has the one speed windscreen wiper. Did you eventually register your ID and did you install the radiator fan I supplied? I haven't yet had a chance to see if I can repair the original brake line "swivel" joints that supply the rear wheels. The DS '23 blew another spark plug but with the experience of repairing the last one, using the sparkplug thread insert, all is well. I'm wondering why the plugs are blowing out. probably the higher compression resulting from the head being "refaced" after overheating.
    Hope all is well with you and the ID ------------ Michael

Thread Information