C3 reverse gear problem
  • Help
    skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C3 reverse gear problem

Does anyone have any experience of C3 reverse gear solenoid problems ?
    I am told by the owner that the reverse fails to engage... The clutch actuator has been replaced recently, and now this problem has arisen. Is the reverse solenoid an external unit? and located where?

The estimate she has received leads me to think that this can ONLY be an actuator INTERNAL to the gearbox, and thus requiring its complete removal and dismantling !!

Advertisement

Any experience would be helpful...
    Thanks
    SKP

Fellow Frogger

Sensodrive?
    Last edited by David S; 7th March 2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Use proper name!

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Shows my lack of knowledge of C3's !! The semi-auto paddle shift arrangement on a Pluriel...

Fellow Frogger

All the Pluriels were 1.6 petrols with a Sensodrive gearbox. The documentation will refer to it as BVMP i.e. Manual Piloted. It's the same gearbox as the Berlingo/C2/C3 manuals, but has external electric clutch and gear selection actuators to operate it. The actuators are just motors and gears with the electronics contained in a separate ECU hanging on the front of the gearbox by a few rubbers. The cases are different to the normal manuals, so it's not a direct swap. The clutch actuator is not cheap, but the gear actuator would be a couple of thousand, so, it's worth dismantling it's motors and removing the carbon debris. You need to know how to set them up correctly and then initialise the gearbox, so it's not only a mechanical job and not really a DIY proposition. There's a jig required to set up the clutch actuator adjustment correctly, so it's not something you can just remove and refit and hope to get right. If it selects all the forward gears correctly, then the gearbox itself is probably OK.

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

I knew there was a good reason why I wasn't keen to get involved with the newer cars - too much electronics for their own good!!
    I can't see these cars being around in 20 years time, let alone the 50+ year olds that I work on.
    The owner loves the car, but this will certainly take some of the shine off. I'm not equipped to deal with it ( yet / if ever!), so she'll have to decide on the dealers less than glowing reputation or a quick sale. Given the car is otherwise very good, I expect that she will get it fixed.....
    Thanks for the advise,
    SKP

Thread Information