URGENT - How easy or hard is it to clean the pollution filter in a C5
  • Help

Icon5 URGENT - How easy or hard is it to clean the pollution filter in a C5

Warning message came up this morning and have booked in into Citroen tomorrow...cost $125. ( i prefer my own mechanic, but he's flat out)

SO is it a easy job?

Easy to access?

What do I use to clean it?

AND most importantly..Will the sensor message go if I did it right

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

PICS of course would be appreciated

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Default URGENT - How easy or hard is it to clean the pollution filter in a C5

Um...

What engine? Are we talking HDi?
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

umm good question, standard 2 litre 2001 model

Available in both petrol and diesel in 2L guise...
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

ok. ...

When you fill it up, do you put petrol in it or diesel???
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Well I put petrol in it and it hasn't broken down yet Petrol.

What message actually came up on display and where did you get "pollution filter" from??!!??
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Pollution filter warning and SERVICE

Pollution filter or Pollen filter?
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 560sel View Post
    Warning message came up this morning and have booked in into Citroen tomorrow...cost $125. ( i prefer my own mechanic, but he's flat out)
    SO is it a easy job?
    Easy to access?
    What do I use to clean it?
    AND most importantly..Will the sensor message go if I did it right
    Thanks in advance
    PICS of course would be appreciated
    Hi,
    I have various pollution faults come up at times on my 2001 C5 petrol. That is not one, I do not know of a pollution filter ? Turn the engine on and get it to display the message again.

The service warning light will not go away untill you clear the code in the ECU. This can be done usually with a normal mechanics scanner as well as the Citroen scanner tools. Does not have to be done instantly if its just a pollution fault. Whether it comes back depends on the reason for the fault and if it has been removed or whether it is a phantom fault which the early petrol C5s were plagued with. Mine hates cheap unleaded and e10.

The faults given on the scanner are not usually related to the actual problem !!! Just sh*t software guessing the problems. Can usually be ignored. I would have replaced my "faulty" coils many times if I believed the codes So be careful the dealer does not replace half the engine looking for faults
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

No 2001 C5 sold in Australia has any kind of pollution or particle filter other than a catalytic converter. The problem is something else like a catalyst ageing fault??? You need to read the fault codes for more info.

The car probably tells you it has a 'depollution' fault of some kind. First question is are you using 95 or better fuel? Don't use E10 unless it's one of the unusual ones that has a higher than 95 RON rating. If it has the cheaper fuel, fill it with premium and see if the problem stops.

Pull the engine cover off and check the breather piping for cracks. There is also an air pump that can fail and leave you with pollution system faults, but it's an expensive part, so you'd want to be sure it's bad before looking for a new one.

It's the 4 cylinder petrol, and they can suffer from carbon buildup in the inlet manifold if it's only doing short trips in traffic, so try a fuel system cleaner with that fill of premium fuel.

Are you having any starting issues or is it a problem once running? That engine can have lazy lifters, but most would have been replaced by Citroen when the cars were newer.

Did you buy an auto or a manual?

Jaahn is 100% right here. Ask yourself whether you are confident your workshop of choice has the experience and skills to deal with this specific problem effectively and therefore at least cost to you. You don't want a fishing expedition at your cost!

Thanks for replies.
    Wifey took it to Citroen this morning, and they said wow it's a Petrol car, not Diesel...well derrrrrrrr.
    (mind you I know there were a lot of diesel models)...and that it would take longer to investigate, so no thanks.

David, I always put 95 in my cars...NEVER anything less.

Performance in the weeks I've had it has been great.

I also think I'll head back to my normal mechanic later, as I would understand the only damage being done is to the environment and I pay for that already lol

I'll try the fuel cleaner and put the good stuff in it as a try.

Gees my old CX is so much easier.

Fellow Frogger

Thanks for replies.
    Wifey took it to Citroen this morning, and they said wow it's a Petrol car, not Diesel...well derrrrrrrr.
    Yes, but whoever booked it in probably mentioned something rather vague about a C5 and the pollution filter needed cleaning, so they naturally assumed it was diesel, or they would have until seeing the VIN and/or the car. Unlike the CX or Xantia, where it's simpler in this country, there were more variants with the C5 range sold here, so people need to be quite specific about the model. Generic 'C5' isn't normally enough info. But now we know there is another C5 petrol 4 cylinder in Kiama. Do you think the recent very bad weather in Kiama could have affected it? Have you been parking it near The Blowhole???

1000+ Posts

Default I only use 95 !

Thanks for replies.
    (mind you I know there were a lot of diesel models)...and that it would take longer to investigate, so no thanks.

David, I always put 95 in my cars...NEVER anything less.

Performance in the weeks I've had it has been great.
    I also think I'll head back to my normal mechanic later, as I would understand the only damage being done is to the environment and I pay for that already lol
    I'll try the fuel cleaner and put the good stuff in it as a try.
    Gees my old CX is so much easier.
    Hi,
    Yes derrrrrrr. That's our Citroen dealers

You may only put in 95 from the 95 bowser but perhaps the question is what's in the 95 tank In previous years when I had old leaded cars running on unleaded they were octane testers as they pinged on the bad stuff even though I had adjusted the timing to suit 'normal fuel'. Some tanks were a lot lower octane than others, some were really bad.
    Just put some 98 in and run it through as David said. Also check the hoses etc under the top plastic cover. Easy to take that off, quarter turn on the fasteners you can see there.

You are not necessarily causing any more pollution, its probable that the fault was momentry and the warning will stay to be cleared, officially. It was designed to encourage owners to have the dealer check to help keep the pollution system working. Excellent you might say. However the software seemed to be a bit too fault happy on the early ones. Hence the phantom faults. I did buy a scanner so I can remove the faults myself.
    jaahn

Mechanic has the computer software..so I'll let him turn it off, but will have a look at those hoses and still run some juice through her.

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    As an alternative rub in some "Ballistol" :0
    cheers Jaahn

Bought the fuel cleaner at lunch

Fellow Frogger!

My 2003 C5 2ltr will throw up anti pollution fault at various times, Citroen dealer FIXED the faults several times at cost to me, until I drove home and fault reappeared. Time for timing belt change, done by me, no antipollution fault for 8 months then one day it was back lasted a week and disappeared again has not been back for 2 months. I tell you this car is almost human it knows when funds are available and then breaks, thinking about it, transmission is doing funny things when cold, oh yeah warranty time limit has expired.

Funny, was told I need a new belt...yes it's a Citroen I guess, I should know by now...it is my 6th

So what happened?
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Thread Information