Red bok fail?
  • Help

Thread: Red bok fail?

1000+ Posts

Default Red bok fail?

Hi all

In looking through car sales websites (which get their specifications from Red Book), I'm finding that the towing information makes no sense - at least for C5s...

For example, a MY06 C5 with the 2.2 litre motor is listed as having a tare mass of 1568 kg, but a max. braked towing weight of only 1000kg, while a wagon, also MY06, and also having a tare mass of 1568 (according to Red Book) can tow a max of 1600kg!

The maximum for an unbraked trailer is 750 kg for all C5s, but I found that the NSW RTA (now RMA) website lists that as a maximum for any car...

Advertisement

I couldn't find any mention of towing weights on Citroen's Service Box site. Can anyone suggest where I might find reliable data? I am particularly interested in C5 MY06 diesel engined hatches and wagons.

Cheers

Alec

Because towing capacities are an specific ADR requirement - you will probably not find it on ServiceBox, as the cars are complied in Australia and this process has little influence on the manufacture of the car from PSA!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

1000+ Posts

Yes it seems our towing limits are a bit less than allowed in the UK for example. No doubt the vehicle handbook would have this information (the UK version does - found it online at http://info.citroen.co.uk/Assets/mic...s-Handbook.pdf) but if the Australian handbook is on line, I can't find it.

Does anyone know where Red Book gets their specs info from? Presumably directly from the manufacturers, but they must surely have introduced a few random errors while transcribing the figures!

Cheers
    Alec

No, the C5 towing weights are all over the place. Iirc on the current C5 it ranged from 1300kg up to 1600kg, BUT lowest rating was for the V6HDi tourer with hydro suspension, in theory the best tow car on the market from a technical point of view!

Thread Information