cx seat material
  • Help

Icon5 cx seat material

This a long shot . The new safari has some seat wear but overall is tidy what are the chances of getting some material to match from a wreck or similar . I looked at the options at CX basis but nothing
    trim is diagonal cross very light beige see attached Anyone got a back seat hanging around that could be cannibalised

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cx seat material-cx-interior.jpg  
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

JBN

I ended up reupholstering all the seats and headrests in a CX using a synthetic suede - Almara. Did it on my wife's sewing machine. I wouldn't even recommend that solution to a masochist.

John

Wow John,
    I think that would be a nightmare. That's dedication for you. I wonder what a psychologist would make of that one, a bloke sewing up car seats on his wife's sewing machine?
    Wouldn't you need an industrial machine for that?
    I'd go for a more basic option...a nice set of sheepskin seat covers from autobarn or supacheap.
    Cheers....George 1/8th

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I used my sisters ornate old treddle singer about 15years ago to retrim my ID19 You just buy the vinyl from spotlight!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I used my sisters ornate old treddle singer about 15years ago to retrim my ID19 You just buy the vinyl from spotlight!
    Hi Shane, my wife just informed me that it would work ok on a domestic machine, but she recommends using a special needle for sewing leather.
    Makes sense really.
    Cheers....George 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Shane, my wife just informed me that it would work ok on a domestic machine, but she recommends using a special needle for sewing leather.
    Makes sense really.
    Cheers....George 1/8th
    Yes an No18 Chisel point is what is required.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

Not a fairly recent domestic machine with plastic gears unless you want to break something - and maybe more than just the machine! You'd be better off buying a heavy old domestic Singer machine pre-1970's for the job than overloading a more recent machine. They are not expensive and the difference between junk and a decent machine isn't large.

The problem with salvaged material is that Citroen often used a foam backed cloth and the foam turns to dust. Even NOS trim will probably have rotten foam now, so it's not a great option if it turns up. You can get just enough material from a set of rear seat covers, including the armrest, in a sedan to replace the worn facings of the front seats. If the sides are also badly worn or torn, then you need more, but might salvage something from the sections of the front seats. I can't recall exactly, but you will not get enough long sections from just the rear cushion or rear backrest alone to do the job. I made cardboard templates from the old seat facings when I did that job on a CX back in the mid-1990's. They may still exist if the CCCNSW member I gave them to kept them. Like most clothing patterns, you will see small v-cutouts at the edges of the seams where the panels align and it makes a difference to how the end result looks.
    Last edited by David S; 5th March 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah you need chisel tipped needles. I now have an industrial singer light industrial (high speed machine) and a zig zag singer industrial designed for leather (that I need to fixup the timing of the lower bobin before I can use). The old singers light -> heavy industrials are worth very little, but a bloody enormous to store.

I think I paid $25 for the leather zigzag machine, the machine itself has no wear I can find, but the table is stuffed.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks David it seems that it is only the gathered section in the center of the squab that has worn so a swap with a passengers seat or rear center piece may suffice ,
    maybe a squirming driver in a previous life No offence intended to the other custodians of the car
    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Not a fairly recent domestic machine with plastic gears unless you want to break something - and maybe more than just the machine! You'd be better off buying a heavy old domestic Singer machine pre-1970's for the job than overloading a more recent machine. They are not expensive and the difference between junk and a decent machine isn't large.

The problem with salvaged material is that Citroen often used a foam backed cloth and the foam turns to dust. Even NOS trim will probably have rotten foam now, so it's not a great option if it turns up. You can get just enough material from a set of rear seat covers, including the armrest, in a sedan to replace the worn facings of the front seats. If the sides are also badly worn or torn, then you need more, but might salvage something from the sections of the front seats. I can't recall exactly, but you will not get enough long sections from just the rear cushion or rear backrest alone to do the job. I made cardboard templates from the old seat facings when I did that job on a CX back in the mid-1990's. They may still exist if the CCCNSW member I gave them to kept them. Like most clothing patterns, you will see small v-cutouts at the edges of the seams where the panels align and it makes a difference to how the end result looks.
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

cx seat material-familiale-interior-2011.jpg

Arch, This is my familiale after the trim had been done. It was matched by the upholsterer, an ex-Toyota production upholsterer, with material from an early Crown. There is no pattern as you have and he did the whole vehicle, which made it easier, but the match was very close. When the driver's seat material on the safari fell apart it was a bigger problem as the rest of the car was perfect. Again I was able to get a close match from a trim supplier in Melbourne. We did both front seats but the new material is identical in colour and so close in pattern that no-one notices unless I point it out.
    So I'm suggesting you take your material to a trim supplier (where uphosterers buy their stuff). You may be pleasantly surprised. I couldn't find any sources of CX trim material overseas either; nor am I brave enough to fire up a sewing machine. Good luck!
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Thread Information