Xantia anti-sink valve O ring
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia anti-sink valve O ring

My Series 2 Xantia ruptured a front anti-sink valve O ring a couple of weeks ago and I've sourced a viton O ring from CBC Bearings as a replacement (Part Number: OR18X2VITON).

Any views on the likelihood of success from this repair?

The thought of another LHM dump isn't particularly appealing.

Advertisement

Chris

Fellow Frogger

I reckon I'd try it if you think it's a good match for the original seal.

Fellow Frogger!

David, I noted your advice in a related thread - which I interpreted as saying that this may not do the trick - but it's the best I've been able to find other than taking up the kind offer of another Forum member to provide the genuine article (which I believe would deprive him of having it on hand). I've fitted one of these O rings and pressurised the system: no initial leaks, but it's a matter of how durable it is.

I bought 4 of these O rings, so maybe I'll carry them around in the car, together with some multigrips and LHM in case of another failure.

Chris

Fellow Frogger

It's certainly worth tying, but I know that some attempts to do this have failed. I don't know the type of o-ring tried though, so you may have found one that does the job here. See how it works out.

UFO

Would it be worth taking one of those spare rings and putting it in a jar of LHM for a while to see if it degrades or expands? As you have control standards on hand it could be interesting.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon4

Hi Citquery,

My Series 2 Xantia suddenly developed a leak from the rear anti-sink valve. My mechanic (Alfa Romeo and CitroŽn trained) noticed this when he fitted new timing and auxiliary drive belts (everything else I do on this car).

Before I had a chance to see whether Pleiades in Queensland had any of these seals he had sourced - like yourself - a new viton O ring seal and installed it - apparently the size is a common fitment for air con systems. This was about 3 weeks ago - so far so good.

That said, I think I'll see if I can get some genuine seals as a back-up...

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed (Jetzt mit Komfortkugeln!)
    Last edited by XantiaHead; 28th February 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Good suggestion Craig - I've plonked one of the O rings in a small jar of LHM. I'll see what happens after a few weeks' soaking.

Incidentally, I'd forgotten the sequence for bleeding the brakes: Haynes (10.2.2) says NSF/OSF/NSR/OSR, yet a comprehensive instruction sheet on the UK Citroen Forum says exactly the opposite. I used the Haynes sequence - twice - and everything hydraulic seems fine. The fluid I bled from the two fronts looked a bit like relatively clean engine oil (until the fresh LHM came through) and the rears bled clean LHM from the start, although there were some bubbles from the OSR for a start - but it soon cleaned up.

It's good to have Xantia mobile again, but it'll take a while to rebuild confidence that it's not going to suffer a daily LHM haemorrhage.

Chris

Just wondering, given the lack of options there seems to be for a repair, do you actually need anti-sink valves ?
    Will it permanently damage the system if they are non-functioning?

Yesh I know its better to have everything working if you can keep it that way, but if you cant..... it might be a battle to win for another day in the future when these parts are remade?
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Thread Information