GS Break Purchase
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: GS Break Purchase

Default GS Break Purchase

I'm now the custodian of a '74 GS Break. Many thanks to CCCV in my quest for a classic Cit.

Now the bad news. I've a 28 day permit and need to get the critter registered. Is there anyone who can help with parts please? (I'm northern Melbourne suburbs)

I need:
    Bonnet (pending panel beater assessment - the one on it is pretty hammered as per photo)
    3 wheel rims (small slots) as per front wheel photo - can some one advise of original off white'ish colour?
    glove box lid
    lenses (most are knackered)
    rear hatch chrome work

Just got it home this arvo before dark, so not sure of all requirements (never thought spending an hour in Melboorne traffic could be so much fun)

Many thanks fellow froggers. More to follow.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-imgp0114.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0111.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0118.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0117.jpg  
    Last edited by sparkey; 10th January 2015 at 07:59 PM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Wheel colour AC140 Grey
    Cheers Gerry

If the end part of the air filter holder & latch is painted, then its the same colour - well, it should be in theory anyway. Later ones were all plastic and black

Your car wouldn't have come with a glovebox lid. In my experience, only the 1972 complianced cars had them. Others after that with glovebox lids are private imports.

Best source of GS parts is overseas (Chevronics, Franzosiche Klassiker, etc) and if you buy around 5kg of parts at a time, the postage is quite reasonable. Best tyre source is Longstone tyres in the UK for the 145x15 Michelin XZX.

Best of luck in getting another GS on the road.

To be pedantic, your car has the >1976 grille on it.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

On second glance of the interior, I'm thinking your car is a MY '76 going by the position of the year lever which would in turn make the grille on this car correct.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    On second glance of the interior, I'm thinking your car is a MY '76 going by the position of the year lever which would in turn make the grille on this car correct.
    Also, if that's the case, wouldn't he also need a 6-slot wheel replacing the one 10-slot he shows, rather than the other way round? Not that it really matters at this point- he has a set that allows the car to sit on rubber for now.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Like Donat, I'm a bit perplexed about your description of 1974 and the gearlever/ centre console, which would suggest it is probably younger.
    Does your vehicle wear a compliance plate?
    Would you like to submit its details for the Australian GS/A Register? If so, you could PM me the complete chassis no.(GXGC--GC----); compliance date; colour code if the disc is still on the firewall; engine size and gearbox; known number plates and/or owners.
    Hope you enjoy it - it's certainly always good to hear of another GS being put back on the roads.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

A bit of further research indicates it could be a post-September 1974 (MY1975) with this gear lever in this console, though I thought most of these arrived in Aus from 1975 on. Are the front inner guards bolted or welded on up behind the battery / hydraulic tank?

If you find a good bonnet anywhere, grab it. They are becoming unobtanium, particularly without some filler, small dents or rust. A good bonnet will have a discernable centre line in the forward half, less noticeable from there back - filled or otherwise repaired bonnets are often flatter in the centre.

Donat, that grille is afaik a post-September 1977 (MY1978) type. For a 1976/7 it would be black egg-crate with stainless surrounds top and sides and horizontal stainless bars. GS Break Purchase-grille-bonnet-detail.jpg
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Like Donat, I'm a bit perplexed about your description of 1974 and the gearlever/ centre console, which would suggest it is probably younger.
    Does your vehicle wear a compliance plate?
    Would you like to submit its details for the Australian GS/A Register? If so, you could PM me the complete chassis no.(GXGC--GC----); compliance date; colour code if the disc is still on the firewall; engine size and gearbox; known number plates and/or owners.
    Hope you enjoy it - it's certainly always good to hear of another GS being put back on the roads.
    Am gathering all the data you requested. Been busy getting car sorted. Bought starter motor, alternater and left light off Citro Motors. Along with 2 drive shafts, left outlet manifold, all brake pads other day. Turns out car used to belong Mel's (Citro) brother. Will put a tracer out on that one when I get time. Getting the hatch struts looked at tomorrow

Replaced fuel filters & some lines. The carbie inlet has started leaking. Where hose attaches, it is swivelling inside the carbie body. Changed the oil; Castrol GTX 15-40 (the old stuff black as ace of spades). Bursons gave me wrong oil filter (supposedly compatible) so washed the old one out with petrol and dried it as best as possible. Got NGK plugs ready to go. Rear muffler rubber hangers are knackered causing a bit of banging to go on. Did a temp fix til get replacements.

The compliance plate is 3/74, 1220 with 4 speed box. Apparently they are not the original seats.

Still no one with the parts I'm seeking? Thanks for all your info, really appreciate it.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Carby inlet problem is quite common and of course a fire hazard, but it sounds like you've been busy sorting the other potential leaks. IIRC DS and early CX have had the same problem, but I don't remember the solution.
    Sounds like they've changed the console / gear selector and seats and some rims from a later model at the same time, as that age vehicle came with the wider seats and narrower console.
    Like Donat's buying, my recent lense purchases have all been from o/s as new old stock. Beware, if you're buying front indicator lenses only, that not all makes of lense and base unit are the same (AXO lenses will not fit the Seima units fitted on most local cars-screw holes are in the wrong place).
    Nearly all GS's sold here did not have a glovebox lid (they failed ADRs is what I've been told), so you'll only get one if you find a private import being wrecked.
    Other than the source you've already used, sorry I have no idea who might have GS parts in Victoria.
    Bruce H

The seat situation is interesting. My 1015 has tall, narrow seats with the early seat (stainless) back adjustment.

Easy solution for the struts is to undo it and get a piece of electrical conduit pipe in there at just the right length so it rest against the pipe to keep your tailgate up. That way you'll never have it fall on your head.

The only GS parts that are impossible to find are synchros for the gearbox. The rest are obtainable at realistic prices.

Thanks for reminding me about the front indicator lenses, Bruce! I need to order a pair of the CORRECT ones for my car (the Seima ones).

The transition year between honeycomb grille and horizontal slats seems vary from brochure to brochure and country to country.

Seems like the gearlever pointing at 90 degrees was introduced in 1975 with the Pallas. Might have to visit gs-gsa.org!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

1000+ Posts

Tis a wonder that 'Young Dave' @ French Connection has not got something hanging up on a hook somewhere!
    wonder if that is the one that used to park in Fitzroy many moons ago.
    Pekay.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Am gathering all the data you requested. Been busy getting car sorted. Bought starter motor, alternater and left light off Citro Motors. Along with 2 drive shafts, left outlet manifold, all brake pads other day. Turns out car used to belong Mel's (Citro) brother. Will put a tracer out on that one when I get time. Getting the hatch struts looked at tomorrow

Replaced fuel filters & some lines. The carbie inlet has started leaking. Where hose attaches, it is swivelling inside the carbie body. Changed the oil; Castrol GTX 15-40 (the old stuff black as ace of spades). Bursons gave me wrong oil filter (supposedly compatible) so washed the old one out with petrol and dried it as best as possible. Got NGK plugs ready to go. Rear muffler rubber hangers are knackered causing a bit of banging to go on. Did a temp fix til get replacements.

The compliance plate is 3/74, 1220 with 4 speed box. Apparently they are not the original seats.

Still no one with the parts I'm seeking? Thanks for all your info, really appreciate it.
    I have some of the parts that you are seeking. I'm in Castlemaine - if you're interested send me a PM.
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Tis a wonder that 'Young Dave' @ French Connection has not got something hanging up on a hook somewhere!
    wonder if that is the one that used to park in Fitzroy many moons ago.
    Pekay.
    An earlier search on Aussie brought it up somewhere in Carlton/Fitzroy with a Canary on the windscreen. It nearly went to Simsmetal!
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Carby inlet problem is quite common and of course a fire hazard, but it sounds like you've been busy sorting the other potential leaks. IIRC DS and early CX have had the same problem, but I don't remember the solution.
    Sounds like they've changed the console / gear selector and seats and some rims from a later model at the same time, as that age vehicle came with the wider seats and narrower console.
    Like Donat's buying, my recent lense purchases have all been from o/s as new old stock. Beware, if you're buying front indicator lenses only, that not all makes of lense and base unit are the same (AXO lenses will not fit the Seima units fitted on most local cars-screw holes are in the wrong place).
    Nearly all GS's sold here did not have a glovebox lid (they failed ADRs is what I've been told), so you'll only get one if you find a private import being wrecked.
    Other than the source you've already used, sorry I have no idea who might have GS parts in Victoria.
    Had same issue with Xantia - leaking juice up near injector area. Got onto it knick of time. Will give Thornbury Carburettors call today. Mario came out from Italy to race Herald Suntour fell in love with Australia & local gal. Think his son runs it now.

Didn't seem to be any adverse reaction to my choice of oil 15-40? What should I use for the gearbox?

This dash definantly had a lid. There seems to be tell tales of where stuff is meant to go. Will get a photo. In meantime here are others. Bit of white ant activity which is to be sorted this Saturday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-imgp0119.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0120.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0121.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0133.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0134.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0135.jpg  

'73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    I have some of the parts that you are seeking. I'm in Castlemaine - if you're interested send me a PM.
    roger
    Thanks Roger, just posted more photos on where I'm at with bits I need. Will pm you.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

They had all the signs of a lid for the glovebox, but all Australia got was a cut down lid that became a small lip to stop gloves (and little else of any size or weight) from falling out. Given that the cut down lips weren't originally designed to then be fixed at the sides where they were, it was only to be expected that many of them then broke at that fixing point or at the thin point in the middle, so quite a few then got removed entirely.
    The cut-down glovebox lid and the entirely inconvenient added rear door locks are two places where ADRs did a complete disservice to the design of the GS interior.
    Bruce H

Tadpole

My 74 GS had the cut down glovebox lid/scoop at the bottom. It was pretty useless, but it was still there when it was passed on. Always wondered why there wasnt a proper door. I suspected our compliance people may have had a hand in it.

Default GS Break Parts

Thanks Roger. Here are the two preferred wheels on the car (and evidence of my early attempts get a mild restoration underway).

Michie XZX rear and Nankangs on front (to be replaced with Michies)

Definantly interested in the bits you may have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-imgp0141.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0142.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Sparkey when I was last out at French Connection Dave did have some parts like headlights... but this was at the time. A phone call would be best. Is your GS Break the one from North Carlton owned by "Lucin" who was trying to find a home for it in late 2011? At the time he listed here on AF. It looked like it was parked in the street. Good luck!

John

Quote Originally Posted by J'aime la vie View Post
    Hi Sparkey when I was last out at French Connection Dave did have some parts like headlights... but this was at the time. A phone call would be best. Is your GS Break the one from North Carlton owned by "Lucin" who was trying to find a home for it in late 2011? At the time he listed here on AF. It looked like it was parked in the street. Good luck!

John
    John,
    Yes that was the GS in Carlton.
    Are you, or other froggers able to advise of the colour code? Its the same colour as yours.
    Panel beater friend is cutting rust out at moment. Had a look in engine bay area can't readily find colour code.

I've got the rim colour. Some photos below of few bits I'm doing up. Learnt how to take a tyre off rim this evening. Only took an hour. By time get to fifth one will be doing it in 5 minutes. Getting rims sand blasted & undercoated next few days. Bonnet bead blasted.
    Much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-imgp0161.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0162.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0163.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0164.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Sparkey,

I think it would be AC083 Beige Vanneau. That is what John's is. Wheels are AC140 Gris (grey) (just noticed you already know this from Gerrypro...)

Cheers, leconte
    Last edited by Leconte; 4th March 2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi Sparkey,

I think it would be AC083 Beige Vanneau. That is what John's is. Wheels are AC140 Gris (grey) (just noticed you already know this from Gerrypro...)

Cheers, leconte
    Many thanks Leconte

Here is the wreck I managed to get some parts off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-imgp0149.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0150.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

Hi again Sparkey,

There is a register of GS and GSA cars that Bruce H maintains. If possible it would be great if you could send details of your car , and the spare parts car in this latest post, and any others you come across to Bruce. There is an AF thread on this:
    Updating the Australian GS/A Register

It is a very useful thing to have as these cars are disappearing from sight and it is very nice and occasionally useful to have a register of what is left, and what has "gone to god".

Cheers,
    Leconte
    Last edited by Leconte; 5th March 2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Typo
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Geez tyre fitters earn there money. Now down to 64kg after sweating away after work getting those stuffed tyres off the rims (thought I had a mispent youth watching my brother using his XP Ford car to break the seal of a wheel by creeping his car onto it). Its principle of matter - I'm doing an apprenticeship.

This little RWC project is really motoring. Bonnet goes in tomoz for bead blasting. Rims to be sandblasted at yet another location. Man the cash register is going in overdrive.

Maybe some good news. Thornbury Carbs fixed up my leak issue (which is indemic) he suggested carb hasn't had lot work. Indicated GS had 86k on clock. He cheered me up by suggesting could be original. Will triangulate that hypothesis.

Check out some snaps of work in progress and some lovely little abs who's relations I'll be free diving for before the season closes - in the GS of course!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-imgp0314.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0171.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0172.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0173.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0174.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0145.jpg  

'73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

IWS

Hi Sparkey,

This is a pointer to a possible parts car.

There is a GS hatchback sitting under a tree at the Chris Cross landscaping supplies yard in Burke Rd Ivanhoe (near the freeway). It has been there for some time. I noticed it there several years ago when I was there ordering supplies for the garden.

After seeing this thread I stopped past today to see if it was still there and it is. If you are looking for a parts car it could be worth going and having a talk to them? (They were closed when I stopped - otherwise I would have asked.)

Worth asking I reckon - before the poor old thing totally rots away.

Cheers

Ian.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last

Thread Information