GS Break Purchase - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 14 First 123456789 ... Last
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: GS Break Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    White car - Sparkey you tried telling me about it a few weeks back and is this the one on eBay?

Advertisement

What is the story with it? Is it for sale. Chris m
    qmusic, Yes it is the white GS Break on Ebay for about a year. I got it as a spares but I think its too good to break up. I'm not going to gild the lilly here, it has nasty rust in roof but general consensus is its repairable. Was thinking maybe doing MIG welding class and do it myself. At moment its covered out of rain. Has a beautiful hood lining; no tears (a slight unremoveable stain) and a sweet sounding engine. Was thinking of doing compression test to see if its more robust than my beige number.

In short, haven't butchered any parts off it. In fact its really good to use as a comparison when I'm working on the beige chappie. When time is ready will tidy it up a little, post some photos and seek EOI. I will NOT be giving it away. A chap in West Aussie is interested in rear door. Unfortunately that's why I hypothetically sourced it, rear doors, hatch & donk. At the moment its safe in my back yard.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Hi Raver,
    With the window winder being stiff to wind. Take out the winder mechanism and give it a good clean with WD40 and then re grease all the moving parts. It's a bit fidly, especially putting the window back in, but it will do the trick. I did mine a few weeks back and it makes all the difference. If you look at the Chevronics website you will see that they make new improved window winder mechanisms that don't rely on glueing to the window.

Cheers,

Andrew
    Last edited by artisan; 2nd June 2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Cheers Andrew

Bugger. In Citro Motors closing down haste it appears I have been given the wrong driveshafts for the GS.

The one that came off has 25 splines and is 27mm diameter. The reco shafts from Citro are 22 spline and 24mm diameter and overall appear longer. Anyone know what I've been provided, BX perhaps?

The vernier caliper is pointing to the shaft that came off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-06-09-16.21.02.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Bugger. In Citro Motors closing down haste it appears I have been given the wrong driveshafts for the GS.

The one that came off has 25 splines and is 27mm diameter. The reco shafts from Citro are 22 spline and 24mm diameter and overall appear longer. Anyone know what I've been provided, BX perhaps?

The vernier caliper is pointing to the shaft that came off.
    They'll be off a GS 1015. From what I can tell, if you can get hold of some 1015 hubs they should work. Cheers, Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '71? Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
    They'll be off a GS 1015. From what I can tell, if you can get hold of some 1015 hubs they should work. Cheers, Andrew
    Thanks andrewj. Had a look at franzoesische-klassiker and they seem to indicate a 22 and 25 dent (I assume this is spline). Sounds like a reasonable solution, just lose the 1220 configuration.

Maybe I could get my old driveshafts reconditioned?
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

Slightly off topic here but I just ordered 2 x Nankangs 145x15 for the GS from a small local tyre store and got quoted $90ea fitted, thought that was fantastic price...what prices are you guys paying in the eastern states just out of curiosity?

I paid about the same for nankangs.
    (in Brisbane from DS motors if anybody is on the lookout)
    Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by werdna View Post
    I paid about the same for nankangs.
    (in Brisbane from DS motors if anybody is on the lookout)
    Andrew
    Great guys there at DS motors

I paid about the same from my local Bob Jane outlet about 18 months ago.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 77 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thanks andrewj. Had a look at franzoesische-klassiker and they seem to indicate a 22 and 25 dent (I assume this is spline). Sounds like a reasonable solution, just lose the 1220 configuration.

Maybe I could get my old driveshafts reconditioned?
    Decided to proceed with reconditioning of driveshafts. Ever curious if there were any dishonest/shonky people in Australia? restore a car!

The upside to my journey is the great input from club and frog members. Check this out. If you're not careful with how a reco'd driveshaft is handled, you can unhook the internals and be up for $180 (each) to reassemble the unit.

Why did I move away from Holdens and get into euro in the '70s? Poor quality, there is still local evidence of this today.

When I picked up the reco'd driveshafts, got a story about how even mechanics bugger up the shafts installing them. I suggested any chance of locking the flange with something? Too hard it seems. Therefore, check out my 20c cable tie investment to avoid disaster.

Incidentally, in my situation had to release upper control arm to install driveshaft. Not as difficult as imagined. Thanks for advice Daniel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-06-15-12.18.49.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-06-15-12.35.19.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-06-15-12.35.46.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

I presume you will remove the cable ties when they are installed ?

Ingenious Micheal, it's a modern approach, but using the same antipodean can-do attitude that I would have used in the number 8 fencing wire days of yore.
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston and an 89 Dolly (in NZ)

80 GSA - ready to restore
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    I presume you will remove the cable ties when they are installed ?
    Yep. It was just to keep the unit together while installing. With upper control arm removed was a dream to get in. Used scissors to snip the cable ties just before engaging with the brake disc. All back together now. Only issue is castellated nut that came with drive shafts (bigger than originals) doesn't have a recess that assists in centralising the spline within the hub. Seems to be ok, will give some thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-06-16-18.21.39.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
    Ingenious Micheal, it's a modern approach, but using the same antipodean can-do attitude that I would have used in the number 8 fencing wire days of yore.
    Was driving with a mate in his 186S Holden Monaro in the mid seventies, out on a country gravel road. The steering arm let go as we were rounding a corner. Slid out sideways but nothing major. Like you, salvaged a bit of No. 8 fencing wire off the side of the road and rigged it up enough to get home. That car seemed like a pile of crap back then but would probably be worth 40k now.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've had a GS driveshaft come apart while fitting in the past. $180 Surely you jest .... there a PITA ... full of needle bearings. If you drop them apart it just means you have to pick up all those little [email protected] bearings and re-assemble the shafts.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sparkey, do you have plans for the 1015 driveshafts? If not, they would make useful spares for my 1015.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Sparkey, do you have plans for the 1015 driveshafts? If not, they would make useful spares for my 1015.

Roger
    Roger, are the 1015 shafts a bit longer than 1220? Because these fellas are.

Last thing I want to do is offload you a dud.

I've done the Melbourne-Warrnie bike race on four occasions. Maybe I could put them in my jersey pocket!
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Sparkey, I can't tell you anything about lengths. I have just looked up my September 1970 and September 1972 GS parts books and they show the same part number for the drive shafts, GX 10 107 01A, and the same part number for the front hubs, GX 20 107 01A. They don't say how long are the shafts or how many splines in the join. My GS 1015 is from April 1972.

I would have to do some more detective work to work out how many splines and how long the shafts are in mine.

Do you have any plans to come to Warrnie soon (not on the pushy!)? Otherise I might be able to catch you in Melbourne.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Sparkey, I can't tell you anything about lengths. I have just looked up my September 1970 and September 1972 GS parts books and they show the same part number for the drive shafts, GX 10 107 01A, and the same part number for the front hubs, GX 20 107 01A. They don't say how long are the shafts or how many splines in the join. My GS 1015 is from April 1972.

I would have to do some more detective work to work out how many splines and how long the shafts are in mine.

Do you have any plans to come to Warrnie soon (not on the pushy!)? Otherise I might be able to catch you in Melbourne.

Roger
    Roger, I'll have a scratch around to see if your part numbers relate to the driveshafts. Not planning on doing Warrnie bike race this year - 265km of pain. You could tempt with the 230km Grafton-Inverell. I'm around most of time at moment while doing resto job.

Calipers have been overhauled and, with all due respect, when had inspection done, the mechanic spooked me a bit with the handbrake eccentrics adjustment. Maate, it was the easiest job of the lot. Just need a little mirror and torch. Used feeler gauges for 1mm horn clearance - might need little tweak.

Coupla things brains trust.
    1. Does anyone have a right manifold hot air pipe connect (see photo)? Mines knackered and rattling like buggery on start-up.
    2. About to replace timing belts/tensioner pulleys, anything I need to consider? (I'm nervous if I have to find top dead centre, coz had heaps trouble trying to kick start a mate's Norton once)

Check out the lower finishing panel - 40 years of grime! Unloaded at least 1kg of oily gunk in the bin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-06-22-10.55.42.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-06-22-16.16.17.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-06-22-17.40.06.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-06-22-16.24.29.jpg  
    Last edited by sparkey; 22nd June 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Roger, checked out the driveshafts and doesn't appear to be any coding located anywhere.

Seems like phut phut coming from the left manifold turned out to be a missing stud (2nd from left). Discovered why it was missing - stripped 7mm thread. Oh dear, what to do, borrow my mates tap again, try cleaning it out or go to next size up? Decisions, decisions.

Found section in manual about replacing timing belts/tensioner pulleys - compliqué

Car kinda looks spooky with front off and lurking in the dark!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-06-29-13.33.47.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-06-23-21.56.42.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Found section in manual about replacing timing belts/tensioner pulleys - compliqué

Hi Michael,

I do it by turning the motor until it is in the position marked in the manual. then replace the belts making sure you line up the marks on the belts with the marks on the timing and oil pump wheels.

GS Break Purchase-timing-belts.jpg
    Cheers Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by artisan View Post

Hi Michael,

I do it by turning the motor until it is in the position marked in the manual. then replace the belts making sure you line up the marks on the belts with the marks on the timing and oil pump wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timing Belts.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	45371
    Artison, thanks for sketch appropriate to 1220. The issue for me, the right side tooth belt (Hutchinson) doesn't have any markings. However, consulted the workshop manual and provides a 43 teeth gap between the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets (tensioner side).

Anyway, priorities suggest I have to fix leaking pantry sink before I do car stuff. Keep you posted
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Sketch worked a treat, many thanks Andrew. Ended up putting my own marks on right hand tooth belt. Took the keys out of the pulleys and put them into new bearings.

Job was not as complicated as imagined. Would have been in spot of bother if I didn't have the 43 teeth info for the right belt.

Noticed a small leak in right manifold so whipped it off and will get a weld job done. Interestingly all the studs were a bit loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-06-30-12.30.33.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Default Bumpstops

Does anyone know where I can source front & rear GS bumpstops? Tried Französische, but don't appear to be listed.
    Out of desperation picked up some vague examples from Clark Rubber last weekend, but too much modification may be required.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Does anyone know where I can source front & rear GS bumpstops? Tried Französische, but don't appear to be listed.
    Out of desperation picked up some vague examples from Clark Rubber last weekend, but too much modification may be required.
    No takers on bumpstops? Anyone know how to centralise timing belts on cam wheels?

Replaced tensioners and set as per torque specs 13lb. Rumour is that torque not correct can throw alignment out.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Page 5 of 14 First 123456789 ... Last

Thread Information