GS Break Purchase - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 14 First 12345678 ... Last
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: GS Break Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by raver View Post
    Doing a great job with your GS sparkey and more importantly saving another GS from the scrap heap
    Slowly but surely it's starting to sink into people's heads just how amazing these little cars are, is it too late? I hope not, I'm lucky enough to have a nice example myself
    Will post some pics soon...

Advertisement

...here's a couple..
    Raver, looks like a tidy little unit. How does it drive? I've only been able to do about 100km on mine while I had the 28 day permit. Opened it up on the freeway on the day of pick-up and boy it had a surprising amount of boot!
    I share your sentiments, in that since being a CCCV member only seen about 3 at all the meets. Almost a forgotten species. Like to see more pics of your car if possible.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Raver, looks like a tidy little unit. How does it drive? I've only been able to do about 100km on mine while I had the 28 day permit. Opened it up on the freeway on the day of pick-up and boy it had a surprising amount of boot!
    I share your sentiments, in that since being a CCCV member only seen about 3 at all the meets. Almost a forgotten species. Like to see more pics of your car if possible.
    Sparkey it drives really nice albeit the occassional noise (coming from front wheel bearing??), suspension is very supple, engine purrs nicely, starts easily and it's not dripping any oil whatsover atm .
    I've had a non-standard exhaust silencer fitted and it gives it a nice sporty exhaust note similar to an Alfa Sprint.
    I've been involved with CCSA on and off for about 15 years or so and GS's where rarely seen! Unfortunately unless you owned a D, Traction or 2CV most members showed little or no interest in GS's I hope that's now changed.

Oh and while I'm here if anyone has some spare GS window winder handles please let me know would be very much appreciated also 'GS 1220 Club' rear badge.

Sparkey is that brown GS Club wreck still around? Has nice hubcaps that I could use

Anyway here's some interior pics :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-dscf1854.jpg   GS Break Purchase-dscf1855.jpg  
    Last edited by raver; 25th April 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Raver, I don't think your car would have been fitted with the boot badge originally, as my South African wagon also has seemingly never had the 1220 badge fitted in the traditional place.
    Good to see another GS in such good order - the SA vinyl seats may be more slippery, but they stand up to exposure much better than the French cloth, and from what I've seen also the French vinyl that so often splits on the seams.
    I'll have to check the shed, but I may have some NOS window winders. If I do they'll be black plastic, with incorrect (not brushed) metal inserts. How many are you seeking?
    Would you like to send details of your car for the GS/A Register?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

GS Break Purchase-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1366882288.382592.jpg
    For Raver, the reflection shows you the metal inserts have a slight dent on these, and aren't brushed.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1366882288.382592.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	42145
    For Raver, the reflection shows you the metal inserts have a slight dent on these, and aren't brushed.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    They'll do the job just fine Bruce thankyou, any advice on how to free up the windows? (one is quite difficult to wind up and down) Don't want to ruin any handles!

Afraid I can't advise how to free up the window. Anyone else here know with what to lubricate the winder mechanism?
    I'm think I'm going to have to completely replace my driver's door winder mechanism as it seems to now jump cogs after being stiff for years. I kept breaking handles on it, and resorted to using the metal internal door latch from an early CX until it went missing somewhere.
    I'll check postage tomorrow if you can private message me a postcode.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Afraid I can't advise how to free up the window. Anyone else here know with what to lubricate the winder mechanism?
    I'm think I'm going to have to completely replace my driver's door winder mechanism as it seems to now jump cogs after being stiff for years. I kept breaking handles on it, and resorted to using the metal internal door latch from an early CX until it went missing somewhere.
    I'll check postage tomorrow if you can private message me a postcode.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    I have the same issue with driver side winder. I'm really nervous about taking the door card off. I don't want to wreck stuff. Probably need to anyway coz I got some new mirrors to install. If I progress this activity Anzac long weekend will keep you informed.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Raver, The interior looks really nice. I love the brown duco. Reminds me of the Pug 404 colour. That side aerial looks really funky, bet you pick up some really good AM stations on that. I will PM you re the brown Pallas wreck located in Castlemaine. I like the sound of your non-standard exhaust (imaginatively). The Italians know how to give a car sound.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

If they're the standard type of Citroen mirror for GS/A, you don't have to go inside the door to fit them unless the nut inside the door is no longer welded on, Sparkey. If they're the CX remote black plastic style as far as I remember they also won't require access inside the door other than to feed the cables.
    If you're trying to take off the door trim do be careful with the winder handle (Raver is relieving me of all my spare handles). You might also find your trim backing panel is brittle, but in my experience the plastic clips are more durable than those fitted to the CX.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

GS Break Purchase-imgp0150.jpg
    Many thanks Leconte

Here is the wreck I managed to get some parts off.
    Sparkey this is the GS in question...might also pay to get hold of the window winder handles if they're any good...damn there's some good bits on that GS from what I can see

Ste
    Tadpole

The interior is in beautiful nick! Is the vinyl, no headrests, and glovebox door the giveaway that it's a South African import? I really like the pattern on the door trims, it's so much funkier than the plain vinyl I've seen on most pics. Is this from a particular year, or trim level?

Yes, the seat shape front and rear and vinyl is the main give-away. I have also seen the same coloured vinyl on a tombstone seat in a wagon, in a wreckers in Brisbane many years ago. The unusual paint colour also. Look at the car itself and you would probably find different carpet type and pattern; SA made glass; and probably that those bumpers are chrome rather than stainless. I can't see clearly from the photos, but it probably also has SA reflectors stuck over the reflectors on the taillights, and may have white reflectors fitted under the bumpers at the front. The battery tray is also possibly narrower than usual.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

The front seats also did come with adjustable headrests, I've a cream set that came from a South African built ex-Zimbabwe series 2 X2 that was wrecked in Brisbane about 20 years ago.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0150.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	42153

Sparkey this is the GS in question...might also pay to get hold of the window winder handles if they're any good...damn there's some good bits on that GS from what I can see
    Raver, I'm onto it bud/buddess. Just needed to get OK from owner was good to send you his details. I believe he doesn't want to part with hub caps however. Will PM you. Look at that beautifully presented Xantia Break in the background - the work horse, taking home the goodies!
    Last edited by sparkey; 26th April 2013 at 10:47 PM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Sparkey, thinking old cars here and my quest for an old one...you haven't come across a dark blue GS Break 74 club in your travels or heard of where a Mark Beran lives down in Vic? Chris Mortimer
    qmusic, Hope I'm not creating a monster here, but am going to look at a '76 Break this arvo. I will PM you.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

qmusic, Hope I'm not creating a monster here, but am going to look at a '76 Break this arvo. I will PM you.
    Well I weakened and plunged myself into a possible donor car for my Beige project. You may have seen this little baby floating around Ebay for a year. These are potentially the last days for this car (2 day permit allowed me to take it on a last outing). There is nasty rust in the roof but reputably repairable. I like it too much to break up. Will see what transpires. BruceH has been sent all the details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-05-09-21.03.20.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-05-09-21.03.03.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-05-09-21.02.43.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-05-08-16.50.26.jpg  
    Last edited by sparkey; 13th May 2013 at 08:44 PM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Glad to see it lives😄to good to strip down. My vote is to save and sell on. Is the roof repair a major job. Such as roof off? Good work mate

If you do wreck that car above drivers side rear door would be gold for me . Keep me in mind thanks
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Raver, I'm onto it bud/buddess. Just needed to get OK from owner was good to send you his details. I believe he doesn't want to part with hub caps however. Will PM you. Look at that beautifully presented Xantia Break in the background - the work horse, taking home the goodies!
    Just so happened I inherited the Xantia today. Brokered a Megane purchase for SHMBO & I was next in pecking order.
    On more serious note, trying to replace left hand engine mount on GS Break. Bugger me, got the underneath bolt out, plus the bottom bolt but the top bolt is incredibly inaccessible. Socket won't fit in there (inboard disc in the way) so, lashed out on set of offset ring spanners (Supercheap - geez they offer value, they must have Isle of Man tax haven). If nobody offers a good solution I'm gonna rip that disc out (pretty easy coz got the driveshaft out for replacement anyway). Here is a photo of (yet another) pride 'n joy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-torquay.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Brainstrust, in process of replacing brake caliper seals and the kit that I got seems to have a slightly different seal (O ring) to the one that has come off (which is flat). The seal is used for the flow connection across to the other half of the caliper. Should I be concerned?

The round file is pointing to the new seal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-05-26-12.51.27.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-05-26-12.51.41.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

Brainstrust, in process of replacing brake caliper seals and the kit that I got seems to have a slightly different seal (O ring) to the one that has come off (which is flat). The seal is used for the flow connection across to the other half of the caliper. Should I be concerned?

The round file is pointing to the new seal.
    Should be no probs sparkey... just replaced seals on mine too and was supplied with round type, the old seal was'nt flat tho..

Should be no probs sparkey... just replaced seals on mine too and was supplied with round type, the old seal was'nt flat tho..
    Thanks raver. Just so happens when I started on the other caliper it had an O ring in place so all is good. Everything now back together and ready to go back on car.

One of the connector threads was butchered so had to drill out another 3mm and tap it out so I can get a decent purchase for the flare nut. Thanks for advice Paul!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-05-26-13.57.10.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-05-25-16.12.23.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-05-25-16.13.36.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

White car - Sparkey you tried telling me about it a few weeks back and is this the one on eBay?

What is the story with it? Is it for sale. Chris m

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    White car - Sparkey you tried telling me about it a few weeks back and is this the one on eBay?

What is the story with it? Is it for sale. Chris m
    Are you looking at getting another GS, Chris? Not biased in any way when I say they're an amazing car in sedan or wagon form. I saw a bleu delta GS sedan being wrecked the other day and thought of you...
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Donat, I don't know. Told this to Sparkey too as I really have nowhere to put another car. Being by the coast, the last thing I want to do is not be able to garage another old Cit. I could get it no problems but it would rust. S I would have to buy storage and pay full price for every repair. The great thing our mate Sparkey is able to do is to work on it himself. I would not have a hope. So a car like this purchased at say a grand could easily cost 20 by the time it is back to original. It is still nice to know about them and if there was one too good to refuse I might bite the bullet. Chris

Page 4 of 14 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread Information