• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 14 First 12345612 ... Last
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: GS Break Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Hi Sparkey,

Advertisement

This is a pointer to a possible parts car.

There is a GS hatchback sitting under a tree at the Chris Cross landscaping supplies yard in Burke Rd Ivanhoe (near the freeway). It has been there for some time. I noticed it there several years ago when I was there ordering supplies for the garden.

After seeing this thread I stopped past today to see if it was still there and it is. If you are looking for a parts car it could be worth going and having a talk to them? (They were closed when I stopped - otherwise I would have asked.)

Worth asking I reckon - before the poor old thing totally rots away.

Cheers

Ian.
    Absolute gold Ian,
    I cycle to work not far from this area. Will check it out. As you can probably see by last photos there's coupla rims I'm concerned about. White ants have tuckered into 'em. Mate this arvo, had carbie, Gris Grey paint, Beige Vanneau (many thanks Leconte & Andrew) and all my work clothes in backpack time trialling to my panel beater friend. Remember seeing something once on Aussie about people going for the 'bling' when they approach a wreck. Not sure if I'm guilty or not. It felt sad pilfering my Sunday wreck (see previous post).
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    I'm now the custodian of a '74 GS Break. Many thanks to CCCV in my quest for a classic Cit.

Now the bad news. I've a 28 day permit and need to get the critter registered. Is there anyone who can help with parts please? (I'm northern Melbourne suburbs)

I need:
    Bonnet (pending panel beater assessment - the one on it is pretty hammered as per photo)
    3 wheel rims (small slots) as per front wheel photo - can some advise of original off white'ish colour?
    glove box lid
    lenses (most are knackered)
    rear hatch chrome work

Just got it home this arvo before dark, so not sure of all requirements (never thought spending an hour in Melboorne traffic could be so much fun)

Many thanks fellow froggers. More to follow.
    Nearly there. Just need front indicator lenses. Many thanks Daniel & Andrew for all assistance at CCCV meeting last night.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

If anyone could get any of the Register details for any wrecks I'll happily add them to the Register. Sorry to anyone waiting for the update to appear online - I've been a bit slack about working out how to do it.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 77 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    If anyone could get any of the Register details for any wrecks I'll happily add them to the Register. Sorry to anyone waiting for the update to appear online - I've been a bit slack about working out how to do it.
    Bruce,
    I go by the mantra 'Its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission' so next wreck, will get down & dirty and get those details for you.

Here is a little sit rep on where the GS is at. Alas still no front indicater lenses yet.

Where's Wally? - the interesting things you see in back streets when cycling to Thornbury to pick up your Webber carbie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-03-05-16.42.44.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-05-16.42.53.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-05-16.43.00.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-05-16.43.07.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-05-15.34.51.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

Sparkey, thinking old cars here and my quest for an old one...you haven't come across a dark blue GS Break 74 club in your travels or heard of where a Mark Beran lives down in Vic? Chris Mortimer

Tadpole

Bruce,
    Here is a little sit rep on where the GS is at. Alas still no front indicater lenses yet.
    I rebuilt one of these wagons in the late 80's. Same year, same colour. Had some rust in the end around the rear windows, same as yours. Also in the boot under the mat? I feel for you. The seats were stuffed, but original. The synchro went on one or two gears too. You get used to double clutching . Mine was a 2 year project on a sandwiched wreck. The way you are going it looks like youll be finished in 2 weeks! These have the best boot capacity of any car I've seen, and all flat when the seats are down. Hauled many loads in mine. Fridges, furniture, dump runs, you name it. I did have some spare front indicator lenses after the rebuild and scavenging a wreck. But I would have lost them in house moves years back. Are yours damaged or missing, or just old? Mine were just old and lost their colour. But they were "renovated" by painting the inside with some translucent colouring muck that Lance from DS put me on to.

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Sparkey, thinking old cars here and my quest for an old one...you haven't come across a dark blue GS Break 74 club in your travels or heard of where a Mark Beran lives down in Vic? Chris Mortimer
    qmusic,
    I'm hearing you loud and clear (C minor). Your quest for dark blue GS Break has been noticed eg. CCCV newsletter and when I googled GS your Facebook came up.

Certainly keeping an eye open for you bud. Is it possible its time to start a new chapter and get another one while they're still around? Sorry haven't heard of a Mr Beran.
    Last edited by sparkey; 9th March 2013 at 08:06 AM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

GS Break Purchase-2013-02-16-09.34.54.jpgGS Break Purchase-imgp0175.jpgGS Break Purchase-imgp0176.jpgGS Break Purchase-imgp0178.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanC4 View Post
    I rebuilt one of these wagons in the late 80's. Same year, same colour. Had some rust in the end around the rear windows, same as yours. Also in the boot under the mat? I feel for you. The seats were stuffed, but original. The synchro went on one or two gears too. You get used to double clutching . Mine was a 2 year project on a sandwiched wreck. The way you are going it looks like youll be finished in 2 weeks! These have the best boot capacity of any car I've seen, and all flat when the seats are down. Hauled many loads in mine. Fridges, furniture, dump runs, you name it. I did have some spare front indicator lenses after the rebuild and scavenging a wreck. But I would have lost them in house moves years back. Are yours damaged or missing, or just old? Mine were just old and lost their colour. But they were "renovated" by painting the inside with some translucent colouring muck that Lance from DS put me on to.
    IvanC4
    Thank you for your reflections. Like you, double clutching was critical in my first car EJ Holden panel van (apprentice carpenter and needed for my tools) they had no synchro in 1st. Need front indicator lenses coz getting ready for Road Worthy Certificate (RWC) and would like car to look up-to-the-mark. Check out the rims I had blasted & ready for paintin'
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Hi Sparkey,

This is a pointer to a possible parts car.

There is a GS hatchback sitting under a tree at the Chris Cross landscaping supplies yard in Burke Rd Ivanhoe (near the freeway). It has been there for some time. I noticed it there several years ago when I was there ordering supplies for the garden.

After seeing this thread I stopped past today to see if it was still there and it is. If you are looking for a parts car it could be worth going and having a talk to them? (They were closed when I stopped - otherwise I would have asked.)

Worth asking I reckon - before the poor old thing totally rots away.

Cheers

Ian.
    Ian, checked out the GS you had spotted. There has been lot of white ant activity. The owner will be back next week (Bruce - got your register details, will clear with owner 1st).

Question please Brains Trust - will a GSA 1300 oil filter be suitable for a GS 1220?
    Photos of Ian's lead below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-03-09-09.05.56.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-09-09.05.38.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-09-09.05.27.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

IWS

Ian, checked out the GS you had spotted. There has been lot of white ant activity. The owner will be back next week (Bruce - got your register details, will clear with owner 1st).
    Glad you were able to check it out. It has been there for a while ... so not surprised that the "white ants" have been at it. Would be nice if it could be of some use to someone, rather than rotting away under that tree.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Wheel colour AC140 Grey
    Nearly every GS wheel I have accessed so far do not appear to be AC140 Grey. They are an off-white colour. Would anyone happen to know this colour code?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-imgp0142.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0171.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Colour reproduction on a computer screen is a tricky thing, but I'd say that the rim on the left in the line- up is closest to what I'm used to seeing. The grey does weather to a lighter shade, and so many rims have been in contact with numerous chemicals or have been resprayed that few these days will be anything like original appearance. The one on the back wheel in the other photo looks too white to me, on this screen anyway.
    The inside of the rim is a better guide, and it's not what you want to do just prior to painting but it can be surprising just how much the grey can change appearance if it is polished.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 77 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Default GS Break Developments

Nearly every GS wheel I have accessed so far do not appear to be AC140 Grey. They are an off-white colour. Would anyone happen to know this colour code?
    Maybe we could turn this into a popularity vote (I believe that's how the later Fiat 500 was designed).On your left AC140 Grey rim and the right unknown off white. Which one best suites Beige Vanneau?

Have thrown in some before & after shots of WIP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-03-13-17.43.55.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-13-17.44.58.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0121.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-23-12.24.39.jpg   GS Break Purchase-imgp0133.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-23-12.24.48.jpg  

GS Break Purchase-imgp0134.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-23-12.24.57.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-05-16.43.34.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-23-12.25.27.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Looking good! IMHO I'd say the rim on the left is more faithful to the original than that of the right.
    1972 SM

Thanks Donat, will put in mix. Check out the georgous XZX's. Had a mate's rate quote in Melbs - $385 each. Landed on my doorstep for $150 each from UK. Thanks to all frogger leads. 28 day permit expires Monday. I just ain't going to do it. Need engine mount etc for RWC. Will now be another 3 weeks for Germany parts to arrive. Anyone out there got a Ducellier dizzie? She's running like a hairy goat at moment.
    Keep voting on rim colour preferences people. Maybe I should have added a vote button!
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

John,
    Yes that was the GS in Carlton.
    Are you, or other froggers able to advise of the colour code? Its the same colour as yours.
    Panel beater friend is cutting rust out at moment. Had a look in engine bay area can't readily find colour code.

I've got the rim colour. Some photos below of few bits I'm doing up. Learnt how to take a tyre off rim this evening. Only took an hour. By time get to fifth one will be doing it in 5 minutes. Getting rims sand blasted & undercoated next few days. Bonnet bead blasted.
    Much appreciated.
    You should be able to get the colour code from the metal disc that is riveted to the right hand firewall just near the reservoir! ASSUMING THAT IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    You should be able to get the colour code from the metal disc that is riveted to the right hand firewall just near the reservoir! ASSUMING THAT IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED!
    Thank you Gerrypro for your feedback. Took a photo for you to decipher please (I don't know which code is the wheel colour).

More progress pics. Keep the votes coming re the rim colour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-03-24-18.55.48.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-05-16.43.49.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-23-12.25.18.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

The paint code is on a round metal disc about an inch diameter.

Roger

Thank you Gerrypro for your feedback. Took a photo for you to decipher please (I don't know which code is the wheel colour).

More progress pics. Keep the votes coming re the rim colour.
    That plate is the compliance plate the paint plate is a disc, and has an AC number on it just like the code for the wheels.
    The colour of my GS is AC424 Rouge Rio.
    Cheers Gerry

A photo on the previous thread showed that the disc is missing. The disc does not give rim colour, only body colour.
    I'd opt for the greyer of the two rims. The whitish one might blend more with the beige, but to me whitish rims show too much dirt and look a bit insipid.
    Bruce H

A photo on the previous thread showed that the disc is missing. The disc does not give rim colour, only body colour.
    I'd opt for the greyer of the two rims. The whitish one might blend more with the beige, but to me whitish rims show too much dirt and look a bit insipid.
    Bruce, I have located another disc skulking behind the reservoir covered in gunk. Are you able to advise what these numbers/codes mean?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-03-29-10.03.26.jpg   GS Break Purchase-2013-03-29-10.18.04.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Fellow Frogger!

afaik/fwiw; manufacturers specification codes and chassis number maybe good reference for the register though
    not paint, that is round, 20c-ish size, riveted in the centre.

As fnq states, that is the manufacturers ID plate for chassis number. This number is usually also stamped on the chassis, near the crank handle on most GSs, and is repeated on the top of your Australian compliance plate.GS Break Purchase-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1364523860.120465.jpg shows the relative positions on a 1977 car, it's no use me taking a photo of my 1974 model as it is also missing its paint code disc.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Default GS break

congratulation on your purchase, and the rapid response team to get it back on the road.it is really encouraging to see the increased interest in these wonderful small cars.
    an under valued classic. really enjoying the pics.

my experience tells me that it either must have had the interior front seats and console changed to reflect the MY75, because if the compliance plate is correct and there is no reason to think otherwise, then with the gear shifter should be in the forward position.

looking forward to seen it completed.

As fnq states, that is the manufacturers ID plate for chassis number. This number is usually also stamped on the chassis, near the crank handle on most GSs, and is repeated on the top of your Australian compliance plate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1364523860.120465.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	41220 shows the relative positions on a 1977 car, it's no use me taking a photo of my 1974 model as it is also missing its paint code disc.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce, the disc is definantly missing from my GS. Is anyone able to tell me what this bracket is used for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Break Purchase-2013-03-29-20.01.02.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Page 2 of 14 First 12345612 ... Last

Thread Information