Two Questions about Citroen CXs...
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Two Questions about Citroen CXs...

Hi Folks,

As much as I love my Series 2 Xantia, I've always had a soft spot for the CX.

Whilst I probably can't get one at the moment (no space), I haven't put the idea completely out of my head.

With this in mind, what I would like to know is:

- Is there general consensus as to which is the most desirable CX?
    - Why is their market value so low compared to a DS?

Thanks in advance for any replies....

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed (Jetzt mit Komfortkugeln!)

Advertisement

You are right to like them Andrew.
    In my opinion they are undervalued at the moment as many were scrapped as undesirable in the 80s and 90s.
    Why is the market value so low compared to the D.
    No argument, the D was an impossible act to follow.

The most desirable- well, I'm sure Shane will be able to advise. Meself I like Series 1's chrome bumpers.
    Whatever one you chose, I'm sure it will appreciate over the years.
    It was a true Citroen and a beautiful object. A good one at a display day will convince you of desirability.

Keith M

I'm one of the tragics that has both Dees and CXs - why? Probably because I'm a bit mad

I've driven a CX diesel from Perth to Brisbane then a CX auto from Brisbane to Denmark via Stanthorpe, Lightning Ridge and Dubbo (2011). Enjoyed every mile and found the comfort allowed me to do over 1000km each day.

The longest I've driven a Dee is from Perth to Margaret River, Augusta then Denmark. I also drive to Perth regularly. They too ate a joy to drive albeit of a different character. A Series 1 CX would be my pick because at the moment the entry price is so low. Surely the price can only increase from here. Parts are also readily available so restoring one should be not too much trouble. The only major issue with them are the door cards. In a fortnight I've finally teed up with my son to do a pair of fibreglass replacements. Once I have them vacuum coated with vinyl I'll post some pictures. Hopefully they will be a satisfactory replacement.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Personally I admire both the D and the CX and cannot understand the prejudice against the CX by those who own Ds. I for one was sick and tired of the shoddy clutch cable mechanism of the manual Ds that I owned and today prefer a CX hands down. To me the CX combines the best of the Ds and the SM. It is in every sense a REAL Citroen!
    Cheers Gerry

I owned a Series 2 1987 CX25GTI 5-speed as a daily driver for about three years. I loved it, although by comparison to any car other than a Citroen it wasn't the cheapest car to keep on the road that I've owned :-). I've also had few DS's, and although I love them both, I consider the Series 2 CX to be a much more practical daily car than the D due to overall power, speed and performance. Not sure whether the Series 1 CX's ever had a five speed box as an option? The CX is an old car now days, and as such will require a certain amount of care and attention.

At the moment a late s1 safari maybe cause I just caught one
    get the fuel economy and cabin temp down then perfect
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by XantiaHead View Post

- Is there general consensus as to which is the most desirable CX?
    - Why is their market value so low compared to a DS?
    * Each CX variant sold via dealerships in Australia (CX 2200 Super and Pallas, CX 2400 Pallas & GTi and the CX 25 IE Pallas and GTi) have a uniqueness about them. The most desirable CX in my eyes would be a Series 1 Prestige.

* The DS (in my opinion) is ridiculously overpriced. I'm seeing these 25k + DS's with k-mart side strips and other incorrect spec equipment pop up for sale all the time and they're trying to tell potential owners of their originality in their ads. These days it's almost cheaper to import an RHD DS from NZ or the UK than to buy one here!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    To me the CX combines the best of the Ds and the SM. It is in every sense a REAL Citroen!
    If only the SM DIRAVI was as good as that on the CX. Otherwise, I completely agree. The last Citroen by Citroen.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post

If only the SM DIRAVI was as good as that on the CX. Otherwise, I completely agree. The last Citroen by Citroen.
    Do you mean to say that the CX Diravi is Better? I would have thought the SM would be equally as good!!!!!! But then I have never had the chance to drive an SM!!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Do you mean to say that the CX Diravi is Better? I would have thought the SM would be equally as good!!!!!! But then I have never had the chance to drive an SM!!
    I've never driven a Traction (have been a passenger many times), so perhaps we could come to some sort of win-win situation somewhere down the track.

I meant to say "if only the DIRAVI on the CX was as good as that on the SM." Oops!

Less turns lock to lock and never any pump-related latency.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

JBN

I would say the CX 25IE automatic is the most desirable CX. The engine is far better than the 2200/2400. The automatic is better than the C-matic. It was the last of the series 1 with the chrome bumpers. The automatic goes with the limousine feel of the CX. A 3 pedal CX (manual) clutters up the footwell and feels out of place. Although the 5 speed GTi sounds like a good idea, the CX isn't a sports car, a BX 16V would better fill that task. Best colour is Gris Perle (light silver) which contrasts well with the wider black rubbing strip, black paint on window frames and C pillar and wing mirrors.

The series 2 is visually "heavy" with the plastic bumpers and has lost the nice side profile. I am against the Prestige because of its roofline (higher) and it is a longer version of an already long car. There is plenty of room in the back of a normal sedan and by the time the kids feel cramped, they should have their own cars.

Avoid a sunroof in a CX unless you are very short. The CX has little head room and my wife blames the 2 CXs I have owned for the bald spot on my head.

If you can get a golf ball ashtray, stick it in any CX. They should have all had one they as it completes the space age interior.

If you get one with the on wiper mounted windscreen washer (a bent black plastic tube), remove it and add some on bonnet windscreen jets instead. Another Citroen idea that works well on a sunny day but is bloody useless when you need to wash the windscreen.

John

I seem to have the best of all worlds! (first post). I have a 1984 series 1 CX 25 Prestige 5speed manual in Cape Town South Africa. Interestingly an ex French Embassy car imported to South Africa from Sydney. Would be fun to trace her history!
    Maybe I should add that she was used by the French Embassy as a Diplomatic car in Pretoria from 1987 to 1994. A lovely rust free car that has been cherished and modified due to lack of spares here in Africa.
    Last edited by kevcab; 30th July 2014 at 08:47 AM.

Default Re: Two Questions about Citroen CXs...

How about S1 Prestige with 25 turbo and , shock'n'horror, automatic gearbox for an ultimate CX. Preferrably with the original style instruments, not the 84-85 style. And tan velour seats. Not a car for good fuel economy though.

Good comment from Donat regarding DS prices. That's what you get when the car goes 'main stream'
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    I've never driven a Traction (have been a passenger many times), so perhaps we could come to some sort of win-win situation somewhere down the track.

I meant to say "if only the DIRAVI on the CX was as good as that on the SM." Oops!

Less turns lock to lock and never any pump-related latency.
    Yes I believe that they watered down the Diravi concept for the CX. That being said I always thought that mine was pretty good. There was an occasion in a Motor Khana that it ran out of pressure but once I fixed the couple of accumulators that were low on pressure this never occurred again.
    The arrangement of which you speak would be wonderful!!!!
    Cheers Gerry

I suppose it depends on what you want.
    My CX was a 2200 Super, 4 spd manual, no power steering, no air con, no electric rear windows. But faster, more powerful, & more economical than any CX 2400.
    OK it was pretty bare bones and without the fancy luxuries that seem so desirable now, but as I understand it, it was the homologue version that allowed CX's to rally according to the rules of the time.
    And yes even in a Tasmanian summer it could more than a trifle warm in the cabin! But that's what windows are for, letting in the cool air.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    How about S1 Prestige with 25 turbo and , shock'n'horror, automatic gearbox for an ultimate CX. Preferrably with the original style instruments, not the 84-85 style. And tan velour seats. Not a car for good fuel economy though.)
    I reckon that is the cream of the crop too, Kimmo, though I prefer the series 2 dash. i have owned both 5-speed and ZF auto cars and feel the auto suits the car better. It is smooth and not a big power robber whereas the 5-speed was not as smooth and light as it could have been and I always had the sense of having to row along a big car with a modest engine. And yes, JBN, there's little room in the footwell of the manual car for your left foot.

I agree Gerry, that it is easy to appreciate the best of both DS & CX. My first four Citroens were D series and ruined me forever. The CX is a more pleasant drive, though.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

hi kevcab, gee,, that would be the the first tjme a embassy had a person with taste out side the french
    hope it serves you well

I also have a real soft spot / obsession for the CX. The great thing is I do have the room in the garage for one right now I just don't know how to convince the fiancť to let me fill that space with a CX. I love the lines and styling on the series one but she doesn't like the look of the CX at all
    2004 CitroŽn C2
    1981 CitroŽn CX 2400 GTI
    1956 Carapark Ten-Nine

Quote Originally Posted by rbwadley View Post
    I suppose it depends on what you want.
    My CX was a 2200 Super, 4 spd manual, no power steering, no air con, no electric rear windows. But faster, more powerful, & more economical than any CX 2400.
    OK it was pretty bare bones and without the fancy luxuries that seem so desirable now, but as I understand it, it was the homologue version that allowed CX's to rally according to the rules of the time.
    And yes even in a Tasmanian summer it could more than a trifle warm in the cabin! But that's what windows are for, letting in the cool air.
    Always loved the CX since I saw my first one in London in '74, and still think they were the last of the beautifully designed mass produced cars.
    A friend was trading his well kept 77, 2200 4 speed in '89 (on a 2500) and I had it for the weekend. I loved it but it was so sluggish when I drove it, especially with the aircon on, it felt like it was towing a large boat!
    My kids also felt a bit car sick in the back. Is that an issue or were they (the kids )subject to auto suggestion!?

Bought a series 2 Renault 20 and it proved to be a winner.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTR03N View Post
    I also have a real soft spot / obsession for the CX. The great thing is I do have the room in the garage for one right now I just don't know how to convince the fiancť to let me fill that space with a CX. I love the lines and styling on the series one but she doesn't like the look of the CX at all
    You need to train them before you marry them My wife knows I'd never sell the old CX

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The biggest difference you need to work out is the gearbox. On manuals the clutch is a pain unless adjusted as per the manual, if so it is very heavy. In that case scrub a manual unless the exercise for your left foot is important. Then we have the C-matic and Auto, both very smooth and that suits the CX character. The auto has the advantage that it is higher geared, 37km/hr/1000rpm compared to 31.5 for the C-matic. In that case a 2400ie or more likely 2500ie auto would be the pick. Depends on what is available, there has been a very nice C-matic and Auto for sale recently.

While the idea of the minimalist CX like you see in the brochures has some appeal, no side mouldings so the shape is there in all its purity, the brochures is where they should stay. The DIRAVI steering is fantastic and you need air conditioning. Then you end up with the top spec unit Pallas or if you are lucky a Prestige.

There is something very special just wafting along the road, (they are very quiet), some good music playing with a good friend by your side with the interior temp well controlled. You are in a 40 year old car that does most things just as well but rides far far better and has the best interior of any car.

They will never be as valuable as a D. A D has a special place in automotive history. That makes the CX a real bargain for a car to use
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by CTR03N View Post
    Marry her under a Pre Nuptial Contract. Roughly stated, what she owns before the marriage is always hers. What you own before the marriage is always yours (this should include the CX). Modify the "Til death do us part" to include a rider - "or until she can't stand the CX anymore".

You are still young and romantic, but when you get to my age, you realise that CXs are a rare commodity, whereas wives are readily obtained. Most of my peers have had a few goes at obtaining a suitable wife and I would say some need to cycle through a few more before the find happiness (but thats just my observation). Just remember, they are not making anymore CXs, but there are are a lot of single/lonely women on the loose.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Marry her under a Pre Nuptial Contract. Roughly stated, what she owns before the marriage is always hers. What you own before the marriage is always yours (this should include the CX). Modify the "Til death do us part" to include a rider - "or until she can't stand the CX anymore".

You are still young and romantic, but when you get to my age, you realise that CXs are a rare commodity, whereas wives are readily obtained. Most of my peers have had a few goes at obtaining a suitable wife and I would say some need to cycle through a few more before the find happiness (but thats just my observation). Just remember, they are not making anymore CXs, but there are are a lot of single/lonely women on the loose.

John
    Quote of the century....

Subject to revision of course

A classic JBN post, straight from the heart!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Without doubt the ultimate CX :

To be an "ultimate" it ***needs*** to be a petrol turbo .... nothing else comes close for driving enjoyment. It also needs to be a prestige. Sadly this means it must be a plastic bumpered car.... but there's no choice if you want the best possible CX to own and drive No automatics ... proper gearbox (the slugomatic can't take the grunt of the turbo motor), hydraulic finger light clutch ... does it get any better
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Having recently purchased a one owner cx25iegtipallasauto,thanks to Kimmo's post and previously owning many citroens i would like to say that it is some time since i have driven a few thousand k's in two days,to bring the car home. Arrived home fresh as a daisy and could easily have turned around and gone back. The only unscheduled stop was causd by peter plod who pulled me over after seeing me wafting along and unbelievably was too busy admiring the car to mention such a mundane matter as speed;had i been in a mere car i would probably still be detained,Andy.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information