C5 owners - are you sitting comfortably?
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default C5 owners - are you sitting comfortably?

Can C5 owners offer opinions on their seats (car seats that is ) - especially the front ones? I am particularly interested the face lifted (pre-X7) ones (are they any different to earlier and/or later ones?).

Advertisement

Are "Exclusive" seats different to "SX" seats? Do both have adjustable lumbar support? And probably most importantly, at 6 - 8 years old, how are they wearing?

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

The seats are basically the same in all pre-X7 cars other than trim and electric options between trim levels. They last better than Xantia and Xsara seats ever did. Broken frames would be very rare, but the integrated armrest isn't especially strong or durable and rough handling of the electric switchgear will break them. Electric seat adjustment is preferable as it is less limiting than the manual system. I think they all have adjustable lumbar support.

It would be unusual if you couldn't sit comfortably, but everyone is shaped a little differently and what suits one person well may not suit another. The seat cushion may not protrude far enough towards the back of the knees for some individuals and you notice this if you get out of something like an XM or C6 (or a Volvo 740/760, which still have brilliant front seats after all these years). I find the earlier C5 seats more comfortable to sit on than the X7 seats, but the X7 seats have greater adjustment and provide significantly better lateral support.

bas

I have a 2007 model with almost 200,000 km on it and the seats are brilliant. This is my second C5, I used to have a 2004 model, and the seats are great, especially on long distances. The seat cushion is big enough (I'm only 174 CM so maybe that helps) and the armrest is fantastic. The only thing it doesn't provide is great sideways support so it doesn't "hug" you as you'd find in sports or bucket seats but for me that's fine, it's like sitting on a nice, comfy sofa.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

1000+ Posts

Thanks guys - that's very encouraging. Actually I had meant to ask if anyone used their armrests - that's obviously a 'yes' from bas!

I got my son to have a look at a diesel Pug 406 last weekend - 10 years old, but less than 200,000 km. He was less than impressed with the cloth seats - thought they were rubbish!

Hmmm....

Cheers

Alec

Default Re: C5 owners - are you sitting comfortably?

The switches for electric adjustment have done trouble on tyre wagon I had.
    The current 2001 c5 I have had got velour seats. The material is good for is age but the foam has compacted in the corner where the driver has climbed out (maybe the previous owner was bit heavier) and is now uncomfortable.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Fellow Frogger!

I drive an early c5 and a xantia both exclusive
    For my aged body the xantia is a bit bigger and has deeper side support
    both have adjustable lumbar support

1000+ Posts

Default Seats !!

Hi
    I have an early C5. I am of average size and weight and have a bad back. The original seats are velour covering with no lumbar support. I fitted some myself. The bottom cushion sagged and became uncomfortable several years ago. I replaced them with leather seats from the upmarket next version. They were very similar comfort but had a built in lumbar adjuster which was good and all electric adjustments. However I find now the cushion is sagging just the same as the other ones. I will probably have to do something about that soon.
    Cheers Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

I have a 2005 face lifted C5 Hdi with leather seats. I am uncomfortable in many cars, but these are very good and comfy. Leather is fine at 180k but starting to get a bit worn. No sagging, switches all work. I use the armrest whenever i am out of the city on straightish roads. It gets in the way if you are turning the wheel often. very good seats. Erik

Fellow Frogger!

I have a 2010 C5 hdi, front seats are great, adjustable lumber very good,bad back problem sorted, arm rest very good no problems, and i suffer from R/A, as for the ride Magic, as for the car simply the best, as for the service from Citroen pathetic.

Tony

Thread Information