Citroen C5 HDI Wagon - Any Good?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C5 HDI Wagon - Any Good?

Hi,

I've seen a couple of 2003 to 2005 Citroen C5 HDi diesel wagons for sale around the $8000 to $10000 mark.

I like the idea of a large (ish) wagon with great fuel economy. But reliability and servicing costs are an issue for me.

What is it like to live with one of these wagons in Australia? Could anyone please share their experiences of servicing and maintenance costs?

Advertisement

Also has anyone tried towing with a C5? I've got a boat on a trailer that weighs about 700kg all up. I'm guessing that shouldn't be a problem for the C5?

I already own a Peugeot 407 wagon which is working well. I'm getting it serviced at the Peugeot dealer so the bills are bit rich but at least they have the right diagnostic tools and use the correct fluids.

Would appreciate any insights to the C5 hdi that the forum can offer.

Paul

I have a 2004 Citroen C5 HDI I have owned it now for around 3 years have not had any major issues with it I have a local mechanic who services it for me he came from the local Citroen dealer not very expensive to service the Diesel my car has over 200,000 on the speedo it has been minor things that have gone wrong im paying quarter of the price of the dealer service cost very reliable car that for sure

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by finny12 View Post
    I have a 2004 Citroen C5 HDI I have owned it now for around 3 years have not had any major issues with it I have a local mechanic who services it for me he came from the local Citroen dealer not very expensive to service the Diesel my car has over 200,000 on the speedo it has been minor things that have gone wrong im paying quarter of the price of the dealer service cost very reliable car that for sure
    Thanks. Appreciate your feedback. Paul

Fellow Frogger

C5 wagons are basically the same as the hatch version in terms of features, comfort, safety and what to look for. There have been a few recent threads on the C5, so have a look around the forum. In general, wagon specific problems are limited to weak tailgate struts and non-opening rear glass. If you want a towbar and are satisfied that it can legally tow your trailer, be aware that not all cars had the (relatively expensive) electrics because many owners only wanted the towbar for a bike rack.

$8-10K will buy a an excellent early car (but you have to be sure the AL4 gearbox is OK) or a decent 2.2HDi 4 speed (ZF gearbox). If you can spend a little more, consider 6 speed auto wagons as they are an improvement and they also come with the turning Xenon headlamps, which are very worthwhile.

Default Re: Citroen C5 HDI Wagon - Any Good?

I used to tow a 700kg pop up caravan with the c5 hdi and it was no problem at all.
    I had some issues with mine. The worn rear swing arm bearings being one of the most serious. Mine cost $0 to fix because I used the old cx bearing I had but if you take it to the Citroen dealer they will replace the whole suspension arm what would be a grand at least.
    Issues with the automatic gearboxes is what kills the early c5 hdis. If you get the 6 speed one you should be safer in that sense. Just search for "c5 al4" on this forum.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Tadpole

Default Thanks

Kimmo, David, Thanks for your feedback. Looks like you both agree that the 6 speed auto is a better idea.

I'll find out what year that was introduced.

I've read some of the posts on the Tow bar wiring. It seems clear that the OEM wiring is the way to go to ensure the computer recognises when a trailer is attached and adjusts the ESP as required.

Cheers ........ Paul

Thread Information