BX19TRI, work to be done!
  • Help

Default BX19TRI, work to be done!

I have taken custody of the forlorn BX19, formerly of the ACT and more recently abandoned in a Sydney street offered as "Free to a good home" by Andrew... thanks very much

As Andrew said, it has a multiple of niggling problems but I think all save-able with a little work. I might need to ask a few questions from the experts though.

First up is temperature sensing. On first turning on ignition both cooling fans come on full blast but starting is hard with I guess no cold start enrichment. I am assuming this is due to a faulty sensor or relay or possibly just a poor connection. The motor idles well once it is warmed up.

I am waiting for my manual to arrive by post. Can anyone tell me which sensor and relays to check please?

This will be the start of a long thread

Advertisement

BX19TRI, work to be done!-13020061_1024x577.jpg
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

I know nothing of the other side of the fence, but I will be reading all the updates! Congratulations on the adoption, may it reward you well!

I found the fan thermo switch.. it was cunningly hidden in the same dark corner of the engine bay where any LHM spilt naturally gravitates to. So it really is a Citroen! The switch is faulty so I need to source a replacement. It also needed a thermostat as the one fitted was very lazy, only opening a few mm at 100 degs. It should be fully open at 84. Fitted a set of plugs and tidied up the ignition circuit and it starts and runs much better now.

Next job is spheres.

I need a tow bar if anyone knows of one available please
    Michael

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Congratulations and welcome to the BX family. So looking forward to more images

Thanks Flipperman

I will get some pics when the rain stops.

Yesterday I had all 5 spheres out for testing:

Main Accumulator: 20
    Fronts suspensions spheres: 10 and 20
    Rear Suspension spheres: 10 and zero (in fact it was blowing bubbles so clearly a ruptured diaphragm)

No wonder it was riding rough! I now have some second hand loan spheres in plus a new main.

A head gasket and timing belt job is looking very likely, but transmission, suspension, brakes and body are all pretty good so I think worth doing.
    Michael

PS Have any BX 16valve owners seen this ebay deal? Disks and pads $115

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CITROEN-B...item415cbd0a3d
    Michael

Brilliant Michael. When you get all the spheres up to pressure you will know it is a real Citroen. I have just replaced a blown stiffness regulator sphere on my daughters VSX. First few metres clearly indicated it was back to how a Citroen should feel. A few kilometres and I can feel the rear swing arm bearing are beyond their use by date. I would suggest a check of the same on the BX.

Good Luck with it

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks Greg,
    Yes you are right, the rear arms will need looking at. The wheels look straight and there is no noise, but I notice that if the car is left to stand it will resist sinking. A little push will drop it down.

I see the trailing arm repair kits on Ebay are not too expensive, but what happened to the "last for ever" DS roller bearing system? Is this a real Citroen? I also had my doubts when I realised this Mk 2 BX has self cancelling indicators. It must be a PSA car.

But then I had to depressurise the hydraulics and replace the main accumulator.... both concealed in a tiny space between the motor and the radiator and requiring a well trained monkey. It is a real Citroen after all!

Ebay wins!! Haynes BX manual just $10, including postage from the UK!! Set of front brake pads $25 !!
    Michael

The taper roller bearing system started on the CX and I believe there are only minor differences right up to the first C5s so it is definitely real Citroen engineering. The other thing to watch on a BX is that LHM return octopus, If it is OK, leave alone but if you see a cheap one on Ebay get it
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

The problem with the roller bearings on the rear suspension arms is that the arc of movement isn't sufficient for each bearing to complete one revolution, thus the bearings go not lubricate themselves from the packed grease surrounding them. Water gets in past the seals and the bearings rust and break.

On the Xantia, I used blue marine grease in the hope that they would last longer, but I am not very confident that that will work. On a CX I had, I added grease nipples behind the bearings, so that when greased, the grease would force grit and water out past the seals, at the same time lubricating the bearings. Unfortunately, the car was written off before I could tell if the idea worked. Look out for LEQ 181, a grass green CX with a squashed front but (I believe) good trailing arm bearings.

John

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the BX family. So looking forward to more images
    Oops, I am very slow to respond to your request! Pics below.

The car is running well now with a replaced head gasket and new timing belt, pump, etc. A little trouble with hot starting, though fine when it is cold. The diagnostic codes report "Oxygen sensor system control" (52) and "Wrong fuel/air mixture" (32) though the latter may be intermittent as an exhaust gas sniffer shows near perfect mixture at all loads, though very lean at idle.

BX19TRI, work to be done!-13050070_1024x577.jpgBX19TRI, work to be done!-13050072_1024x577.jpgBX19TRI, work to be done!-bx-headland-1.jpg
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Thanks Greg,
    Yes you are right, the rear arms will need looking at. The wheels look straight and there is no noise, but I notice that if the car is left to stand it will resist sinking. A little push will drop it down.

I see the trailing arm repair kits on Ebay are not too expensive, but what happened to the "last for ever" DS roller bearing system? Is this a real Citroen? I also had my doubts when I realised this Mk 2 BX has self cancelling indicators. It must be a PSA car.

But then I had to depressurise the hydraulics and replace the main accumulator.... both concealed in a tiny space between the motor and the radiator and requiring a well trained monkey. It is a real Citroen after all!

Ebay wins!! Haynes BX manual just $10, including postage from the UK!! Set of front brake pads $25 !!
    Pleiades Hydraulics have some rebuilt rear BX arms in stock. Interestingly they are sealed and use heavy oil not grease, which they reckon is far better. I'd get in touch if I were you.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Better late than never.. oh wait i need my glasses
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Information