Berlingo issues?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Berlingo issues?

Am looking to buy a used Berlingo. I have heard of issues surrounding the gearbox quality. What problems should I look out for with this model? Am looking for something with less than 180000 Km.

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

The Belingo uses same gearbox as Xsara, which is usually quiet robust ( in a Xsara) but when a Belingo is used for DELIVERY work, involving multiple 'Stop-Star' driving, then 1st gear wears and the box becomes quiet noisey.ive seen this as low as 70,000 km.But I also have a friend who bought a Belingo new in 2005 and used it for LONG haul courier work traveling from Perth to Esperance and back, 750 km each way, 3 times a week, he has now covered 700,000 on original engine . He needed to replace clutch at about 450,000 km and as his gearbox had by then become noisey, he got a wrecker to supply and fit secondhand gearbox and clutch, from a Xsara, for $1500 and its still running sweetly!

Tadpole

Thanks Rod,
    I have a Xsara as well.... which my son drives... and I love driving (nice gear box ). I had heard of issues with synchro. in second being a problem. But what you have written is re-assuring. I will work on the basis of suck it and see. Thanks for your input.

VIP Sponsor

I'm not aware of any synchro problems... Most common cause of 'slow' synchro, on 2nd gear is due to wrong gear oil, if oil is too heavy grade then 2nd gear synchro will baulk, worse when cold as that when oil is thickest... Use ONLY factory recommended transmission oil.

Fellow Frogger

Synchro problems are rare. Gear links falling off, pinion bearing noise (Allowing it to fail is terminal) and clutch release bearings were reasonably common, but most will have had these replaced by now. A lot of problems were due to uncaring drivers not owners! Clutch cables start to bind fairly early on and a new cable can make a huge difference to how easy it is to drive. Reverse is a simple gear set and has to be allowed to slip into mesh as opposed to just ramming it in. If it's quiet and shifts easily, then it's probably OK.

Fellow Frogger!

I have a 2005 model with 155000km and it had a syncro problem on 5th gear .Very easy fix as the syncro set can be changed from the outside.Problem was the baulk ring was cracked . I obtained a syncro set from France for $230.00 and changed it in about an hour. Other than that the box is excellent. They did change a few things in the box in 2002 I think and maybe they had less trouble after that.
    Absolutely terrific little van. As Addo says "A Van that handles like a Hot Hatch" great fun.
    Regards Dennis.

Thread Information